Calling all Californians: How do I get from Temporary to Probationary?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.irene, Mar 6, 2015.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 6, 2015

I am in my first year in a great district, but on a Temporary contract. Apparently, all new hires in this district are hired as Temporary. (This seems to be the case in most districts in the area, not sure about the rest of the state?). I just read in the school board minutes that all Temporary teachers, and some Probationary teachers, will be given layoff notices due to declining enrollment. It said that most will be rehired pending enrollment levels and number of sections needed.

My personal situation is a little complicated since I was initially hired at 40% to teach a world language, and then was given two other sections at the last minute (one English and one more WL on another campus). So I am 80% currently, but technically I am like three entities in terms of contract, I think.

My question is, does anyone know what it takes to go from Temporary to Probationary under these circumstances? I talked to my union rep and she made it sound like someone would have to retire in order for me to get a tenure-track contract.

How long can I expect to be stuck in limbo like this? I can't stand the idea of ending every school year not knowing if I will be hired back and at what percentage :(

3. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 7, 2015

I went from temporary to probationary after 30 days automatically.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 7, 2015

During the late 2000s (2007-2010), I receiced a RIF (Reduction in Force) notice every year! It was awful! The worst part, though, is that I was already tenured at that point! Everyone who was hired the same year as me (2005) receiced RIF notices, too, so I knew it was nothing personal. Thankfully, I was rehired each year and was able to maintain my permanent/tenured status. It was horrible having to pack up and move from site-to-site three years in a row, though.

Now that the economy is better (my sob story happened during the housing market crash), teachers aren't laid off (unless they're being non-renewed).

I have high hopes that you'll be fine, Ms. Irene. :hugs:

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2015

Thanks for the input! I need to call my friend who works for LAUSD to hear how she's doing -- I haven't heard from her in a while but I know she was going through the same thing.

I already know I'm going to receive a layoff notice -- school board minutes say all temporary and some probationary definitely will. So I am already mentally preparing myself...

I have my second evaluation next week -- would it be appropriate to just ask my admin what the outlook is for me? In my first (and only so far) eval, he was highly complementary and asked me point-blank if I wanted to stay with the district and I said definitely yes! So I feel like he has at least shown confidence in me as a teacher. The question is, what will the numbers come down to?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 7, 2015

Not only is it appropriate, but it's highly recommended. You have to watch out for yourself, and administration will know that.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 7, 2015

I think it's very appropriate for you to have this conversation with admin.

I do need to tell you a few things, though:
    1. The deadline for non-renewals (here in California) is March 15th. March 15th falls on a Sunday, so you would receive a letter by Friday the 13th. However, after reading what you've written, I'm completely certain you're not receiving this notice, so don't worry!
    2. At this point, it all comes down to NUMBERS! Case in point: We have 28 teachers at my site. Next year, we only need 27 (according to district office). Therefore, the teacher with the least amount of seniority got "bumped" to another site and grade-level for next year. We hate to lose her (she's phenomenal), but it's completely out of our hands.
    3. We have three 5th grade classes and three 4th grade classes. The asst. superintendent told us (my principal and me) that we need to turn one of our 5th grade teachers into a 4th/5th combination class next year due to projected numbers. I despise combo classes, but I've gotta follow the district's directions.

The bottom line is that no matter how much your principal loves you, he can't keep you on board if the numbers aren't there. :(

8. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Mar 7, 2015

YoungTeacherGuy, it is so incredibly helpful to have your perspective and insight here on the boards. Thank you!!

Ms. Irene, I'd definitely talk to your admin. As stated before, they will know that you are trying to do all you can to stay...I don't think they'd be offended or see it as intrusive at all.

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2015

Well, temporary has very different rules than probationary. The March 15th rules do not apply, the temporary usually gives a mandate of two weeks notification before firing or laying off of a temporary teacher. It also allows the teacher to give two weeks notice and then quit. The district might notify the temporary teachers on the 15th also, however the district can notify temporaries later.

In my district temporary is based on the teacher's credential being emergency or an internship usually. Once the credential is no longer emergency then it is usually a simple step to become probationary. So it would seem as if your district and the union have a different agreement.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2015

Thanks for all the input! And thanks for the clarification, YTG! I have my observation tomorrow and I am incredibly nervous, although trying not to be (it's with my most immature class, though). I hope my AP can meet with me in a shorter timeframe than last time, when we went over two months (including winter break) without meeting! I will be dying to hear the results and get his feedback!

I am trying to be philosophical and trust that this will all work out for the best. It's just so hard not knowing what my status will be for next year. Add to that my own anxieties and I am a bit of a basket case on the inside, although I think I'm doing a good job of not showing it on the outside :(

Just to be sure..."non-renewal" is still different from "RIF," even for Temporary employees? If they thought I wasn't doing a good job, I would know by now, right? I still can't shake my old feelings of inadequacy, especially when I'm feeling stressed as I am now.

Hugs and positive thoughts to everyone out there who's in the same boat! :hugs:

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 10, 2015

They are two completely different things.

I've received a RIF notice three different times (along with everyone else who was hired the same date as me). We were all hired back as soon as the district magically found money to fund our teaching positions. It was a very frustrating and depressing experience. All the district cared about was our hire date--not the quality of teacher we were.

12. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2015

Thanks again, YTG! I agree, it is frustrating and dispiriting, although I do understand the realities behind my situation.

I guess the question that remains for me is, what will it take for me to even get a Probationary contract? Are we all (meaning all those in this position, since I know I'm not the only one at my site) basically waiting for someone to retire or move away and free up a tenure-track position?

13. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2015

I had my second observation and it went great! I haven't had the formal meeting yet but my AP shared his notes and overall impression and was very complimentary.

I know I will be getting a pink slip any minute now, but I also know that the outlook is very good that I will at least have my two WL classes.

There is also an opening for a 60% English position at the junior high where I currently have one WL section. I am going to talk to the P today about the possibilities for next year. I just feel so uncomfortable and awkward asking. I don't know why I get so anxious about all of this!

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2015

Don't feel bad--I've taught at the same small school (where we all know each other well, go to church together, etc.) for eight years, in two different grade levels, and received nothing but great reviews from 3 different principals and many compliments from parents. I went to talk to my P about possibilities for going to part time next year (I'm having a baby in August), and I got SO nervous! It's just a really strange feeling...

15. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2015

Amakaye, it helps to know I'm not the only one who overthinks these things! My meeting with the first P went well today. She said she and the P at the other school had talked about me at one of their admin meetings (!!!) and both shared positive feedback about me. So I am very hopeful that they at least want to keep me on board. The rest will be up to the numbers...