CALLING ALL 9th GRADE ENGLISH TEACHERS!

Discussion in 'High School' started by Passion4Teachin, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

This will be my first year teaching 9th grade and I was wondering what books, poems, short stories, novels, plays, etc you have taught to your ninth graders.

3. Engteach13

Engteach13 Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I only taught ninth grade for the first time last year but here is some of the stuff I did.

Large bodies of Literature: The Odyssey, Of Mice and Men, Romeo and Juliet

Short Stories: "The Necklace" ,"The Gift of the Magi", "The Cask of Amontillado" ( did a whole unit on types of irony with those) Also,
    Richard Connell's " The Most Dangerous Game" , " The Scarlet Ibis"
    "Poison" "Thank You M'am" by Langston Hughes

Poetry: " Harlem" by Langston Hughes, "Fire and Ice" and "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost and a few others that escape my memort right now.

With grammar and vocabulary everything was slightly condensed but I really do enjoy our English 9 curriculum. Mostly because it is a genre based course and we get to do a little of everything.
    Hope this helps!

4. coffeeteacher

coffeeteacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I also teach Freshman, and that is pretty much exactly what I teach, except they read To Kill a Mockingbird instead of Of Mice and Men.

5. Mister K

Mister K New Member

Aug 21, 2008

Back when I taught English, my syllabus looked something like this:

Novels: To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, The Odyssey, And Then There Were None, Romeo & Juliet, The Five People...., and Invisible.

Plays: Pygmalion

Grammar: Passive Sentences, Conjunctive Adverbs, Sentence Coordination, Parallel Construction (to a degree), Parts of Speech, Prepositions, etc.

I would require a weekly journal entry on a topic related to life. We started doing this after Columbine. Basically, students could write in a journal format and not worry about mechanics, spelling, or grammar. But they had to be descriptive and learn how to write coherently.

My biggest thing as an English teacher was the importance of the essay. By the conclusion of the year, I had assigned about 20 essays or more.

Also, I had a big unit on literary devices (to help prepare them for the Regents Exam). For every work of literature, they had to compile literary devices AND analyze their effectiveness.

6. ED457

ED457 Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

We used to do an entire unit based on mythological stories that were popular. Also, Twelfth Night is another Shakespeare play you could do, showing the movie She's the Man afterwards if you wanted to incorperate some film comparisons or put a modern day twist on it.