Calling all 6th SS Teachers !!

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by deedee, Jun 27, 2009.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2009

What types of projects are you planning on doing ???

What does your syllubus look like?

What does your classroom look like?

Help a first year out >>:):)

3. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 27, 2009

What are you teaching? There is really no consistency between states re: SS standards.

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 28, 2009

I agree with wig - we need to know more about what you are going to be teaching for the content stuff - syllabus, projects, etc.

A strategy I always recommend checking out is the interactive notebook. I've used it for six years now and can't imagine teaching without it.

http://teacherweb.com/SC/LadysIslandMiddleSchool/Gannon/ap6.stm - you might want to start with the powerpoint, then the FAQ

http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/
    A broad perspective on the strategy with an awesome collection of resources!

5. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

thanks guys !

I will know more when I fly out to meet the principal and get the book series after the 4th. I was just wanted to get a head start by looking at how other 6th grade teachers set up rules and expectations. I looked online to see the curriculum but until I get the book I am not sure what civillizations I will be requried to teach ..I am pretty sure ancient egypy, meopotamia, asia, greece, rome, medival times, ...

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 28, 2009

I love ancient world history! It is really great stuff. It can be difficult with the vocabulary, and students really won't have had a lot of exposure to the content (except maybe Egypt and a little Greek mythology) and sometimes students can have a disconnect with the subject.

To quote an online friend - Don't sell relevance, sell interest! These cultures are really different from our modern day - and they did a lot of strange (to us) and interesting things.

Plan for a lot of hands-on (anytime they can "write" in the old languages, or make a piece of art) and simulations are your friend.

Use a lot of visuals - pictures, video clips - to build background knowledge.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2009

I PM'd you, dee.

8. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

THANKS !!

stg- that info was great!!

ancientciv- Ya I have been looking up projects all day .. i found one to make the pottery found in egyptian tombs.Have you done culture fairs or wax museum projects ?? I saw you did a ceaser play (I think that was you :haha:-- did you write a script?

9. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

Awesome! Just got moved to 6th grade Ancient Civ. and was trying to hunt up some ideas. I've also looked into buying some activity books from Amazon. Does anybody have a favorite or two?

10. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 29, 2009

Yep, that was me. Actually, I took the script from a Scholastic resource, and "beefed it up" a little bit - added in a bit more of the classic dialogue.

I actually really like the Mr. Donn and Maxie always something you can use series - they are a great source of readings to supplement the text.

I also really like simulations - Interact has just come out with "activators" (short simulations) for world history, right when I won't be teaching it anymore. :(

I have done the wax museum thing, and it is cool, but honestly, my favorite things with the kids are activities that we can do in a day to a week. Preferably a day :) (The play was about 6 days of class time spread out over the unit)

Short activities that went over well: writing in cuneiform on pladough, making Sumerian prayer statues out of play dough, making a cartouche (writing your name in hieroglyphics), learning how to wear a toga, making hoplite shields out of paper plates, designing a greek vase on orange paper with black markers, etc, etc

I like to incorporate these activities into a stations like activity - 4 activities is about perfect for an hour long class - 12 minutes or so at a station and then rotate. I used to call them stations, but now i call them "history labs" a la Mr. Roughton.

11. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 29, 2009

The first two sims in this resource are great - I didn't use the rest because I had so many other resources, but you might want to persuse the contents.

http://www.dedicatedteacher.com/estore/product/SED9048

As a rule of thumb, I only like to look at two "major productions" (a play, wax museum, night of the notables) a year. I can fit in a history lab once a week. :) Short is good.

12. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Fantastic ideas with the history labs! I read somewhere (of course I don't remember where now) about mummifying an apple. Has anyone seen that?

If you get a chance to get into the renaissance, you can have them paint the "Sistine Chapel" by taping paper under the table of their desks so that they have to lay on the floor to actually draw/paint.

13. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Oh neat! This is one of the books I wish listed on Amazon....thanks so much for the ideas.

14. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jun 29, 2009

We do this, but for Early Man. We use wrinkled up brown paper (paper bags) taped under the desks and turn off the lights so it's like a cave.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2009

I, too, am a new 6th grade SS teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Hooray and congratulations!

17. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

woohoo! That's awesome, STG - I loved my sixth graders - a little nervous about moving down to fifth!