Calling all 4th Grade Teachers

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by katrinkakat, Jul 31, 2007.

1. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

Hi,
    I have just been offered a position teching 4th grade!
    I have experience with Head Start and Kindergarten
    and was hoping for K-2nd, but I think I will really enjoy
    the 9 and 10 year olds. My own daughter just finished
    fourth and loved it.
    My question is: what do you love about 4th graders?
    Do you think it will be a difficult transition for me?
    I have yet to formally accept and want to get some imput.
    I have just printed out the fourth grade standards.
    Thanks everyone! :cool:
    Katie

3. dust bunny

dust bunny Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I taught 4th grade 2 years ago, looped with my class to 5th grade, and now am starting at a new district in 4th grade again. I am very excited about teaching 4th grade. The students still want to please their teacher in 4th grade, and they are able to behave, know the school rules and routines. They appreciate humor in the classroom as well.

4. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

I student taught in fourth grade (after kinder..quite a culture shock!) and I was surprised to find that I LOVED IT!! The curriculum was interesting, they were old enough to be left to do some independent things (granted not for very long...;) ) and I just genuinely liked the kids and their sauciness!

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2007

Sounds great! Thanks so much!

6. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I LOVE fourth grade. They are funny, independent, loving, and just fun to be around. They aren't as whiny as the younger ones and they don't pee their pants or need their shoes tied. I was a preschool teacher and a kindergarten teacher (for one semester). I like the little ones, they are cute...but I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE 4th graders! My daughter will be in 4th this year, in a different class. I can't wait!

7. LvMyFourthGrade

LvMyFourthGrade Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Former K teacher in luv with fourth!

When I was in college I always wanted to teach in the primary grades. My first job was teaching kindergarten and I liked it. My second year teaching I got a job offer closer to home and almost didn't take it because it was fourth grade. I didn't want to teach that high of a grade. I prayed about it and after two years of teaching fourth I now know that GOD knows me better than I know myself. (of course)

I absolutely LOVE fourth grade. They are young enough to still think everything you do is fun and exciting! They are old enough to really get into things deeper! They are sweet, lovable, energetic, eager to learn, and most importantly INDEPENDENT. My only drawback is the paper grading. I couldn't be happier! I hope your experience is as AWESOME as mine! :lol:

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

Thanks! I have this feeling I will love it, too!

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

Ahhhhhh! I just got a call offering me Kindergarten! I am going to take that instead because that is where my training and experince and heart is. Sheesh. Talk about a roller coaster!! One minute Im teaching 4th, the next K.

10. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

Katrinkakat congrats on your job offers! What school district will you be with? I from around your neck of the woods and know jobs are hard to come by, you must have been awesome in your interview! Have fun in kinder!

11. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

Decisions decisions!!

12. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

Hi, Im in Palmdale and got the job offers from Palmdale school district. I think what helped me was that I was already in the district teaching for their Head Start program and they give priority to "unit members" Inotherwords, it was considered a transfer.

13. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

Palmdale and Lancaster both offered me jobs but I decided to give my "dream" district one more year to discover how good I am before I go to the High Desert :D . As I do not live in the Palmdale/Lancaster area the gas and more daycare for my kids would have put me at a negative every month. Good Luck and Congrats again, kindergarten is so much fun!

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks for the good wishes teacherfan! I understand that you don't want to commute.
    The 4th grade position was across town, about 30 min. and the K position is about 10 minutes away, so I am lucky. But I agree with you. Time with your kids is more important!