Calling 3rd grade teachers!!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2007

What do you do on the first day of school? i'm looking for specifically some type of first day get to know you booklet or something like that. Does anyone know of a good link to one or would be willing to share one that they use themselves? thanks!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 10, 2007

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

I play a listening game that I make up. Each student gets a slip of paper with a command on it. The first might say, "When the teacher says begin, do 5 jumping jacks." Another might say, "After someone does 5 jumping jacks, turn off and on the lights twice...." Sort of like I Have, Who Has in a way. Kids love it.

I give a quiz about me and pretend that it counts as a grade.

I think I'll have them write down questions they have about the year, anonymously, then read them.

We'll play Around the World with math facts so I get a feel for their levels. I'll introduce the class library and have a mini-lesson on picking books that first week. We;ll have some quiet work and I will start Morning Meeting the very first day.

5. Teaching Grace

Jul 10, 2007

thanks! this helps me so much! i'm not nervous about my first year.. just the first day! any other ideas that ya'll have for the first day that i could use?

6. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 10, 2007

Calling

I have them write about their summer. The only rule is that they cannot write anything that really happened.They love it

7. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I'm thinking of having the kids create their own New School Year's Resolution sheet and posting them in the hallway.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2007

I just got a job teaching 3rd grade-so this is great. I've been wondering what to start planning.

9. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Jul 11, 2007

I'm a first year teacher, so I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to do a time capsule with the kids. Have them fill out information about themselves (their favorites, info about themselves like height and shoe size, what they think 3rd grade will be like, etc) we'll do one activity a day for the first week. Then we'll seal them away and I'll give them back on the last day of school. I think they're going to love it.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 11, 2007

Here is my plan for the first day of school:

8:45- arrive and I will greet each child... they will begin sign in procedure. (Parents will also be there- which makes things CRAZY!) I will have the morning message up on the board, which will ask them to begin a scavenger hunt
    ( finding people who ____)

Example: Someone who has a baby in the family _____
    Someone who speaks another language _____
    Someone who plays an instrument ____

They can only put each person down once, and I have enough for everyone to fill out. There is also a question that fits me.

9:00?- I will tap kids and ask them to freeze silently. When the kids are silent, I will teach my Give Me Five signal. We will practice this several times. I let them get louder, move around, ect. and I will do the signal. I compliment, compliment,
    compliment.

9:10? We will have a morning meeting, which will be a daily ritual (but at another time the rest of the year) I will talk about the sign in and morning message. We will play a name game and introduce ourselves to one another. We will share the
    scavenger hunt results.

9:35: Teach lining up and walking through the school. We will walk to the bathrooms. There I will explain bathroom procedures and visit the bathrooms. (I show them the boys and girls and let them go in both. I tell them this is the only time they will see the opposite. I kind of kills the curiousity for later on.)

9:45? Back to the classroom. Guided discovery of the art shelves. Students go and choose a material to bring to their table group. Each child chooses one thing from the shelf, which allows them to see what there is on the shelf, and that is what the table has to use. (Glue, scissors, markers, scrap paper, feathers, etc.) As they choose materials we will make place cards for cubbies and coat hooks. (You could make desk tags at this time.) As they work, we have a discussion about volume during work time. They will finish and put their tags up. We will meet afterwards and come up with reasonable volumes for different kinds of work times. I will make a sign and put it up with them. (I will have the design and paper ready. I know I will do this on a small poster board, so I will have
    everything I need prepared.)

10:40? Recess procedure. I have a bell-ringer as a job, and I will introduce how this works. This person will practice with me, as we call in a few times and wait for the kids to come back. After we have done that a few times, they will have recess, and we will come in. It's a good idea to play a group game during recess
    as they may not know each other yet. It feels really crummy to walk around alone on the first day of school during recess. I may play Red Rover or something.

11:15? Back inside. Explore the classroom library. Talk about choosing books, and SSR. Practice SSR. Afterwards, share books they chose. (I am going to send a letter home asking the kids to bring a book from home the first week.) They can still look through the library, but this way I will know they will have a book
    to read if they can't find one in our library. I am also thinking that they will keep the books they brought from home at school, and the next day we will look at them and discuss genre. We will identify the genre of what everyone is reading and make a graph. This will continue as our chart for graphing the books read during the year.

11:55: Lunch routines, teach lunch procedures.

12:45 Begin read aloud-- may be something for first day of school in particular, but I usually begin my regular read aloud.

1:15 Guided discovery of math manipulatives. Building stuctures with linking cubes, or other materials. Discuss using them as "toys" versus "tools" Allow kids to build and share their structures. (we will have all the math materials out and they can play with them in centers perhaps. Pattern blocks, linking cubes,
    base -10 blocks --make good towers-- etc.) Also teach format for work sharing. Allow a few students to share what they made before we clean up.

2:05 Cleaning up math materials. Taking care of things in the classroom. Cleaning quietly and quickly. (We use these tools daily, so learning how to put them away is important)

2:15 Closing meeting. We will discuss helpful and unhelpful behaviors in the classroom, and this will be a preliminary for some expectation building exercises the next day. Each person will go around the circle and share one thing they are proud of doing or learning over the summer. (This is a staple in my class, sharing things they are proud of, learned, were challenging, etc.) I
    may assign an easy homework, like bring a photo from home. We will do something with it later.

2:45 Clean up and go home procedures. Go over each job. Stop and freeze game. While they work, I will say freeze. This will let me see how they are doing, what they are doing etc. I will compliment cleaning up A LOT! Every time I freeze, I will give a new direction. This will lead us to lining up for dismissal.

3:00 Time to go home!

I use "The first six weeks of school" by Paula Denton and __? Kriete.

11. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks for that idea!
    It just so happens that the first selection in our third grade anthology is Mark Teague's How I Spent My Summer Vacation, a humorous and imaginative story written in rhyme. I think we'll read this as a class and then over the course of the first week students will complete two versions of how they spent their summer vacations (one real and one make-believe). This is perfect since one of the genres assessed by the state for third grade is narrative writing which includes both personal narratives and imaginative stories.

12. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jul 11, 2007

calling

Yes that is the first story we read too! It is a fun story. Whenever I tell the children to write about their summer - they groan - when I tell them it cannot be true, they love it!!:)

13. Teaching Grace

Jul 11, 2007

That's a great idea. I'll definitely have them write about their fantasy summer. It'll be great

14. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Littleschool - thanks for posting your schedule. I'm moving from fifth to third, and to a non-departmentalized class. I was wondering how I would break up my day and get the into routines.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

Time capsules-

I've done them in the past and they can be a lot of fun! I measure each kid's height in string. They trace their hands on construction paper. They also fill out a survey on their favorites. The last time I did it we stored everything in a paper bag (lunch bag) but I was thinking of saving paper towel rolls, decorating the outside and covering the ends with pieces of paper held on bny rubberbands.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2007

I'm so dumb! I didn't realize this was about first projects of school... that's what I get for skimmimg!

I wait for the routines to be well established. I begin the read aloud and SSR right away. I start with a fun math project that takes the first week, then get into the regular math curriculum. I tie a writing project into the getting to know you activities. Often the students will either write their autobiography, or do an interview and write an article about another person in the class.

17. raider17

raider17 New Member

Jul 25, 2007

I play a game with them where I have a list of lots of things, such as "I like chocolate" or "I have a brother", etc. When I read the phrase, they have to stand up and say, "That's me!" if it fits them. It's fun, and we kind of get to know each other.

18. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

wow...i really haven't started thinking about the first day of school yet...i guess this makes it a reality that i should start!!

19. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 26, 2007

make a glyph
    turkey at: www.teachers.net/gazette/NOV02/printable.html St. Patrick activity site Bear glyph……. www.teachingheart.net/stpattyday.html http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedF...131/others.html
    http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Fountain/2131/others.html
    http://www.abcteach.com/search.php?q=glyph

http://www.eduref.org/cgi-bin/printl...s/MPS0206.html

http://teachers.net/gazette/NOV02/printable.html
    sunflower glyph

Here are the directions for the Sunflower glyph
    materials:
    orange, brown, green and yellow construction paper
    circle template (head)
    petal template
    stem template
    leaf template
    sunflower seeds
    glue
    scissors
    HEAD
    Do you have pets?
    yes - cut a brown circle for the head.
    No - cut an orange circle for the head
    Place it at the top of the stem.
    SEEDS
    What number month were you born?
    Place this many seeds on the head.
    PETALS
    How old are you?
    Place this many petals around the head
    LEAVES
    How many brothers and sisters do you have?
    Place this many leaves on the stem

Glue the the sunflower parts in place.

20. <3 2 teach

<3 2 teach New Member

Jul 29, 2007

Thanks for this idea! I will be teaching third grade for the first time this year and appreciate all the great ideas given by everyone! Is the survey on their favorites something you made up? I am also ectstatic that I found this site to chat with others third grade teachers!:)

21. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Cool! You use the same book as we do. We can share ideas!!!:2up:

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

Hi, and welcome to AtoZ. I'm going to be in 3rd grade next year, but then back to 5th.

23. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 29, 2007

:thanks: :up: That is great! I'll definitely use it!

24. LvMyFourthGrade

LvMyFourthGrade Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

A couple of moral building activities

I use Madonna's book Mr. Peabody's Apples on the first day to introduce my glue activity. If you haven't heard about this book it deals with how powerful our words are. It is an AWESOME book. I heard about it last summer at Great Expectations.

After reading the book I do the activity.

To do the glue activity:

Each group needs one plate with glue. (I squeeze the glue out for each group)

Each student needs one toothpick.

I tell the kiddos that they have five minutes to get the glue back into the glue bottle using only their toothpicks. This of course is impossible. :D

After their time is up we talk about how the glue signifies our words and once they come out we can't put them back in. That if you don't have something nice to say than CHOOSE to say nothing at all.

I've used this two years now and the kiddos LOVE it!

Another activity I use is writing all the bad things we have been called or called someone else on toilet paper and flushing them down the potty.

I also have them decorate hearts and we crumple them as we pass them around. We discuss how we can unfold it but we can never completely smooth it out again and that their actions could damage someone else forever.:love:

I hope this helps! I believe in teaching procedures the first week and mixing in activities like these. I have some others but I'm tired and need to go to bed. I always try to put in an activity like this when I see the kids not using their best manners with each other. I stress "Treating others how you want to be treated" all year long. I think it really helps with discipline!:up:

25. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

26. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I am planning to read the book "A Bad Case of the Stripes" and do some activities with it such as character analysis, or comparison, etc., I think I will also use this as an opportunity to discuss bullying and how it makes people feel. I will also go over the rules, expectations, and procedures and plan to prepare a jeopardy powerpoint as an activity. I printed some things off off the internet such as a getting to know me sheet, and another one called find someone who... which sounds like an activity someone else mentioned. My hallway bulletin board is going to be "Look Who's Hanging Out in the Third Grade" and will have a clothes line with construction paper shirts for each child. On each shirt we will take and print their picture, and each child will fill out their own "about me sheet that will also go on the shirt. Other than that I haven't planned the rest. Love all the ideas that I get from all of you... I'm a first year teacher and it's helpful to see what works for the veterans. Thanks!

27. KDD

KDD Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I just found the coolest website... it's called storyline online and it's actors and actresses reading books... A Bad Case of the Stripes is one of them! I'm so excited... I will of course read to my students myself, but our classrooms have smartboards and when I can incorporate it they love it. So in this case I probably will. The site has about 12-13 books on it so I may try to plan a lesson around another if this one works out well.

28. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

:thanks:I love seeing other people's first day of school plans. No matter what it was very helpful and I appreciate it!!!!!:D

29. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2008

LOVE THAT!!!:):)

30. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Love Mr. Peabody

I use Mr. Peabody's Apples as well, but instead of glue i use toothpaste. Each team gets a travel tube, a paper plate and toothpicks. I refer to "toothpaste words" all year long.