Caller Vent

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 11, 2010

When people call, I of course either recognize their voice or I don't. For the callers I don't know, I hate how they say my name as soon as I answer the phone as if they're my buddy rather than stating WHO they are & WHAT the call is regarding. It's like they're trying to be smart & enjoy throwing people off guard.

No one's getting any info from me unless they ID themselves & tell me why they're calling! :mad::mad::mad:

(BTW, I don't have caller ID on this particular phone line, but most of the time, it just says private caller or unlisted anyway.)

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2010

I suspect it is likely the way they've been trained, not their choice, it is meant to create a pleasant atmosphere so you'll be more likely to listen.

But, it doesn't work with me either. :)

If unlisted or private shows on my caller ID, I let the call go to voice mail. If the call is important, the caller will leave a message. Just because my phone rings doesn't mean I have to answer it.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 11, 2010

I think it's even more annoying when someone calls you, you say "hello" and they say "who's this?" without even saying hello first. I feel like saying, "listen sparky, you called MY house. Don't ask who THIS is"!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2010

I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. Period.

TeacherNY, I absolutely agree...but I've found myself doing just that! Eek! For example, just last week I was calling a close colleague and she didn't answer. It just threw me off and as soon the person on the other end said hello, I responded, who is this? I had called someone else in my contact list and felt like a big dummie. It is so rude, and there I went and did exactly what annoys me. :eek:

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 11, 2010

LOL I'm not giving you MY phone # :lol:

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2010

When I call for a professional reason (if I call a parent, for example), I always start with, "Hi, I'm calling for Mrs. Jones, this is Jane Smith, the PreK teacher at Lake Side Elementary." That way, they know who I am and who I need to speak to.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 12, 2010

kimrandy1, right, that's the way a caller should be! I wish everyone did that.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2010

If I recognize the number and want to talk to the person, I answer. If it's private or unknown, I let the machine get it. I figure if it's important, they can leave a message.

Last night at nearly one in the morning I got a "private call" on my cell phone. i only answered because I was standing by it when it rang, and I get calls so infrequently it startled me. It was a drunk guy . . . so I had to hang up on him.

10. rfresh

rfresh New Member

Jun 12, 2010

I think that's the best way to handle that, that's what I do :)

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2010

If I make the mistake of answering a call "I shouldn't have" I will tell them I am soaking wet I had to get out of the shower to answer the phone and then I start talking about how rude it was for them to call me when I was in the shower I mean I DO START TALKING (remember the cartoon where the little guy talks and talks and talks) and I try not to take any breaths and then I start to tell them about what 'so and so' did when they got a call while in the shower or how last week my son's pocket called me or the one time I answered a pay phone and talked and hour to the girl who had called it or how funny my dog is when the phone rings or the different kind of rings I have on my cell phone or
    I imitate my machine "Hello .....<pause>........... thank you for calling Dave he can't answer the phone now please wait for the beep" ....................(it never beeps) ................ and I put the phone down

You see I don't get mad I get even

when you are retired you find entertainment where you can

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

Lol...nice, Dave!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2010

I don't ever, ever, use caller ID.

I answer the phone, talk to whomever called, and hang up.

I have young kids, and not all their friends have the same expectations as to phone courtesy as in our house, so I'm used to answering the phone to get silence on the other end, followed by "Is Kira there??"

No biggie.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2010

My sister drives me crazy--she'll call me, and when I say "Hello?" she responds with "Hello?" and a long pause. Ummm...you called me, how about telling me what you need? (Of course, I'm always glad to talk to her--it's just a little pet peeve).

As for caller ID, I don't often answer 'local' numbers I don't recognize. I only have a cell phone, and I give the # out to parents. The names never show up on my phone, just the numbers. So, if somebody calls me, I like to call them back. At least then I know who I'm talking to and can maybe be prepared to answer their question. (And I absolutely love when the parents have their kids call themselves with homework questions!)

15. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jun 12, 2010

I usually get obvious numbers that are solicitors--like the caller id will say Bob's Business or something like that to where I know they are just trying to sell something. But the last week of school, a numer kept showing up that was local with a full first and last name. I didn't recognize the last name but I got worried that it was a parent calling. They called everytime I went to the store or walked outside. They called like 6 times one night. So finally after stressing over it, thinking something was wrong with one of my kiddos, I call the number back and it was a donation center that was going to be in the neighborhood wanting to collect items. I was so ticked I told them to take me off their list. :(

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2010

Go, I get such calls from local names and numbers frequently. Very strange. That is why I just don't bother answering unless I know the caller. Truly, we get on average three or four unwanted calls each day. It's insane.

17. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 13, 2010

I not only use caller ID, I google numbers I don't recognize. They are usually numbers that have already been reported for spoofing to avoid "Do not call list' rules. One was a number for a school district in FL. That one came at night and I know no one in that area so I didn't answer it.

Recently I thought a call was from DH's dr as the ID was close but it turned out to be a survey on energy usage. I spent 30 mins answering redunant questions. I'll look closer next time!

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

Why not just hang up if you didn't want to answer the questions?

19. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 14, 2010

I felt sorry for the lady. I once had the job in college and a lot of people hung up on me. Back then there was no computer doing calling. We had a phone book and a ruler. I had to call the people on the odd pages every 7 inches. I only lasted a week at that job!