Called out of retirement

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by becky, Feb 26, 2012.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2012

I've been asked to work with my sister's 4 yr old granddaughter, to help her be ready for kindergarten. As far as I know, she's had no formal educational exposure. I don't know where to start. How should I approach this? Is there a good assessment I could use, to determine a starting point?

Lol-just when I was getting used to my bon-bons and Days of Our Lives..;)

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 27, 2012

Hmmm, it's been awhile now since I taught kinder and I've never worked with preschoolers before. But I know as a kinder teacher, it was TRULEY helpful in the beginning of the year when entering kinder kids came in knowing:

1) how to write their name
    2) share
    3) sit still for short time periods (we'll work up, but in the beginning, I need their attention for at least a few minutes)
    4) how to wash their hands/use the restroom
    5) how to hold a pencil
    6) colors (I color code things in the classroom and it's just really helpful if they come in knowing at least the basic colors- blue, green, yellow, and red).
    7) tie their own shoes, button up or zip up their own pants and clothes
    8) names of body parts
    9) just being read to. Read read read! :)

As to the starting point, your sister's granddaughter still has a few months before entering kinder. So, I would begin with one or two things and work with those at a time. And make it all a game, if you can. Like, when writing her name, use messy stuff like shaving cream or use a paintbrush and water and "paint" her name on the sidewalk.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 27, 2012

I would suggest some group time--ballet, dance, swim, gym. She needs to be comfy and confident in groups.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2012

Good for you Becky; I bet you miss it!

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012

She's my sister's granddaughter, Peachyness. I'm not prepared for grandkids, lol.

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012

I agree entirely.
    This child isn't exposed to everything like Jeannie was. Part of it is finances, but there's help that could be applied for and hasn't been. I don't know why my niece won't look into it. This child is around adults day in, day out.

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012

I miss teaching Jeannie, that's true. I'll see something juicy in the news and start to think, 'ooohhh...that will be good for social stu....' then I remember I'm not her teacher anymore.:( We still discuss things like that, though, and I get teaching fixes with homework.:thumb:

Although I do miss teaching her, I am very glad for the teachers she has. They all seem to like her, and I know she adores them. To her, there's something special about each one. They have all been kind to me, and receptive when I've shared websites or information.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 27, 2012

This sounds like a great opportunity, Becky. Get a good phonics book and supplement with creative activities. Read to her and talk about the pictures. Check and see if she even knows how to hold a book. Use informal evaluations to check for concepts - top/bottom, low/high, under/over, behind/in front, etc. Play games with them, like hiding a stuffed animal. Use food for amounts. Use your Google kindergarten readiness and see what comes up. You already know how to utilize resources.

10. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 27, 2012

If money is an issue for group activities, maybe there are some neighborhood kids that can set up some sort of play group?

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012

No, that probably won't happen.

12. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 27, 2012

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 27, 2012

If you are looking for free group activities try your public library. They may offer story time. Mine not only offers story time but also art activities once a month.