Call out sick for a cold?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by ST13, Oct 18, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Oct 18, 2015

So I've heard horror stories of teachers getting super sick their first year. I've even heard cases of mono.

I try to wash my hands as often as possible and eat fruits veggies and get plenty of sleep everyday.

Yet this morning I woke up a little sniffly. Now I'm stuffed up and although I'm still feeling like it's manageable now I'm worried it's going to turn into a full blown cold by tomorrow.

I've been drinking tea all afternoon and I'm debating if I should call in sick tomorrow. Part of me is saying it's just a cold suck it up but another part of me is remembering hearing teachers say how sick they were their first year. I don't want it to end up worse than it is.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2015

Only you can decide this. Most times when I feel something coming on, I take some DayQuil in the morning and then a NyQuil at night...usually helps a lot. it's cold season....stock up on vitamin C! I also get the flu shot though I know not everyone does. Haven't taken a sick day, however, in over three years.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 18, 2015

My rule of thumb is, no fever or vomit, I'm working. Getting sub plans together is worse than going to school with a cold. If you still feel like you can't work in the morning, then call in.

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 18, 2015

Believe it or not, I didn't take any sick days my first 2 years teaching! I still rarely do, I hate making plans! We do have to have emergency plans for 2 days just in case.
    You really have to decide yourself if you're well enough to function. If you're just going to go in and give busy work all day (we call it be our own sub), then you might as well stay home and rest up. For a cold I probably wouldn't take off, but if you work yourself too hard, it could get worse. Make sub plans just in case and see how you feel in the morning.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 18, 2015

If you are running a fever, I'd stay home. If not, I'd go in.

I only stay home for vomiting, migraines if I can't open my eyes, and high fevers.

Caesar753 and MrsC like this.
  7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 18, 2015

I have called in sick for a head cold because I knew I was useless to my kids and I didn't want them all to catch what I had. Only you can make this call, but I know for me, taking a day or 2 to recover properly is worth it in the long run.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 18, 2015

Personally I would go in, and then if I felt even worse tomorrow, I might take Tuesday off. If you're worried about getting sick a lot then you probably need to save your days for more serious issues. I hate doing sub plans so I will go in unless I feel absolutely horrible or think I might get others sick. I mostly get sinus issues that aren't contagious, so I'm hardly ever absent.

DHE likes this.
  9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 18, 2015

I only call in sick if I'm super sick!
    1st year: I never called in / zero sick days!
    2nd year: One sick day
    3rd & 4th years: Zero sick days
    5th year: I GOT MONO! I was out for 3 WEEKS!
    In 6th year right now. I moved to a new area, new school, working with an entirely different demographic/population of children, and I've already called in sick one day this school year
    (yes, that's what I'm blaming it on!) :)
    And you know what? That one day at home helped me get better much quicker! I was completely better in less than a week! All the other times I get sick & just plow through, I stay sick for weeks and weeks, and I'm miserable everyday. But taking one day off helped me get healthier. OR... it could be the mono made my immune system stronger. I don't know. :confused:

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2015

If you are contagious, stay home.

I don't get sick very often (usually only when kids or coworkers who should stay home don't and therefore get everybody else sick) but if I do have a cold, I stay home and snuggle under warm blankets and watch movies or read. That's what sick days are for. But, I always find that if I am sick, stopping and resting keeps me from dragging or lingering on with it.

It is probably a lot easier teaching high school. Sub plans are still a pain, but I can usually modify my original plans enough to have the kids productive and on track with our current unit.

My current job, getting a sub is a really iffy proposition, but I don't need special sub plans because the kids already have their materials set out for them. I just have to tell the sub what to ensure they are doing on the computers.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2015

I stay home when I am contagious, throwing up, or so miserable that I know I won't be able to teach.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 19, 2015

This is also true for me. I feel no need to be a martyr. I plan some easy things for my kids to do and rest up. Much better for everyone.

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2015

Ditto most of the comments - do what you feel is best for you. For me, if I sit/lie around at home, both mentally and physically it seems to make me worse, plus the added stress of sub plans. Thus, pushing through things while being careful to use plenty of hand sanitizer is effective for me. That being said, everyone's different, so take the sick day if that's what you feel is best for you. Another altnerative is to just simplify the day for yourself, then make sure you get home right away to rest and can wake up a bit later...if you're worried about appearance/taking that sick day, make it as restful as possible at least!

14. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Oct 25, 2015

I got sick alot last year (I was first year). I ended up taking 4 sick days (1 was actually a family emergency, but the other three was due to unmanagable colds and a stomach virus). This year I've been taking Emergen-C daily, which helps ALOT! I hope to not use any sick days this year (if I have to, way less than last year).

I swear by it. Emergen-C is the best!!!!!