Call or Wait?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by breezymarie07, Jul 14, 2014.

1. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 14, 2014

Last week I was offered a 3rd grade position at a school that is re-opening. All new staff to the school and I will be the only 3rd grade teacher. Pretty excited, but incredibly nervous.

I thought maybe I would hear from my new principal about touring the school (during my 2nd round interview I toured a different school) and maybe talk about curriculum. I'm thinking I won't have much to go on since the school is new-ish.

I know it's only Monday, but I still haven't heard from him. I won't get my contract until after the School Board meeting on July 22.

Should I contact the principal or just wait it out? Perhaps I'll hear from him shortly after the board meeting. I'm just stressing out about the fact that I feel I need to "create" in a sense the entire literacy, science and social studies curriculum for the year on my own as they don't have a basal. I want to start working on everything now. I was hired a week before school last year and having everything given to me, it was a pain getting it all together so I want to be as prepared as I possibly can.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2014

I don't think it would hurt to email and ask if you can tour the school and pick up some materials.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2014

Totally make something up like you'd love to see your room to see bulletin boards etc!! It would not hurt to send an email just like giraffe said!

5. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I'm in the same situation, breezymarie07. I've decided it can't hurt to call tomorrow. School here starts Aug. 13th and I am moving from three hours away so I need to ask about when I can expect to receive my curriculum, classroom key, and contract. I'm a first year teacher. They can chalk my impatience up to enthusiasm. :)

6. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

I am also in the same situation. I emailed my AP and he told me that I'll be getting my curriculum materials sometime in the summer and possibly be able to come the week before I start work if given approval by the custodians. Kind of not the answer I looked for, but I'm happy enough I kept the conversation with the AP. Never wrong to contact your P or AP as long as you're not badgering them (don't want to come off as a pain in the ass before you start your job!) So if you feel that a simple call or email is necessary, go for it.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

In your case, I would ask to come in and take pictures so you can start planning mentally!

8. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

When I called I spoke to the superintendent. He told me everything I needed to know and more. I'm heading up there to get the keys to my classroom, my curriculum, and to look at rental homes on Thursday. I just hope to remember to do everything while I'm there. I'm thinking of staying at a hotel for the night if necessary.

9. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 15, 2014

That is great news! I would make a list to help you remember everything you want to do. Maybe take pictures of your classroom so you remember what it looks like?