Call me crazy...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2009

...but I really don't mind getting back to work on Monday.

I like my job. I like the kids I'm teaching this year. I like the other members of the faculty. I like our administration.

There have been lots of posts lately from people who apparently don't have it as good as I do.

I just thought I should mention that some of us have landed in exactly the right spot.

Best wishes to those who are still finding their way.

(And, for the record, I would be very happy if my kids never had to return to school. Matching socks, healthy snacks and lunch/ lunch money to pack each day, tests, homework... Man, I LOVE summer!!)

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 3, 2009

Alice, I'm so glad you posted! I don't mind going back on Monday either! :) I saw some of my students at Wal-Mart last night, and they were so excited to see me! I couldn't ask for a better group this year! They are great! I love my job! I can't wait to get back.

Glad to know there are others out there who are having a good year! :D

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

I don't mind going back, either. I love my job so much! Monday will be a day of meetings, and I'm an adjunct mentor so I will be teaching the new instructors how to use Blackboard, weight grades, report no-shows, etc - and it's honestly astonishing how many adult college graduates don't even know how to deal with email! This is professionally unacceptable, and I wouldn't even hire such people, but they're here and if they wish to stay a while, they will have to learn to do almost everything, record-keeping, assignment-giving, and grade-wise, online. We even have instructors sign up to teach hybrid courses who don't know how to do it! It makes me furious each year. But oh well, as long as they are willing to learn and able to learn FAST, they'll be all right. Most of them are quite eager to catch up to the 21st century, and they do just fine. The ones who can't, or won't, don't stay. Often they want to stay, but they are not suitable for employment here. People who refuse to adapt are probably not suitable for employment anywhere. At least they won't be here, influencing impressionable minds! :)

Oh man, I love my job. LOVE IT. I loved my 26 years of public middle school, too, but only the STUDENT part. I do not deal well with unenlightened administration, helicopter parents, and students who spend more time concocting excuses than actually DOING something. I also love it that, at the college level, we simply do not put up with anyone who doesn't work hard, and if someone chooses to disrupt, they're gone.

A campus full of employees who know what they're doing, and students who mean business when it comes to learning. It's perfection.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

Glad you all feel the same way I do. I have missed my kids. As a first-year teacher, I suppose I should be hiding under the bed when Monday rolls around :)

So many people warned me that I would hate teaching, hate my fellow teachers, not like the kids...you name it, I was supposed to hate it. In fact, a peer thought I was making it up when I told one of my mentors that I feel this is what I was meant to do.

Boo to the naysayers. My attitude is adjusted to enjoying this despite any problems.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 3, 2009

I love teaching too and am ready to get back to my routine! The only bad thing is that I wish I had a teacher work day to change some things up instead of having to stay late!

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

I am ready! whew... I have a tough group but I miss them. I will be down one student when I get back so that will be weird.

I do wish I had a couple more days off though since we just got back yesterday.

I still need to put all my plans on line but they are written.

The littlest lemonhead and I have been cleaning his bedroom ...err make that Lego room for the last hour. No where near done but getting there.

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jan 3, 2009

Love My Job

I love my job and the students. I hurt my foot after Christmas, but it is healing and I'm looking forward to Monday. I'm so glad I have a job.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

Me too, I'll be ready.

It's been so hectic here with company, parties, shopping, running to see movies, visiting all over the place, and catching sales.

I like routines, love my kids, loved the time off, but I'm excited about seeing everyone again. I've also planned on a few new things for this spring so I'm excited about that too.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 3, 2009

I love my job, and, even though I'm whining, I'm itching to get back to work. Actually, I saw two of my kids in wal-mart yesterday and the excited "HI, MISS MMSWM's!!!!" and the "We miss you" exclimations were all the motivation I needed, if I needed any. I'm just whiny that the break's gone by so fast. There was so much I needed to do that didn't get done. I chose to spend the time with my kids instead.

Alice...I don't have to worry about all that. My mom doesn't care if the kids show up for "school" with mismatched socks, and she always cooks lunch. Homeschooling is so wonderful :).

Mamacita, I totally understand. I somehow got the unofficial title of adjuct professor trainer. It started because the math department uses a textbook web site that I'm super familiar with because of the number of my students who use it, plus I used it when I was teaching classes, so, over time, when questions pop up about this web program, even full-timers "go ask mmswm" because "she knows everything" (for the record, I don't, and I've spent hours over the break trying to figure something out and I'm still not having any success). It went from there, to just helping them deal with the grading software, dealing with "instructor purges" (how we deal with no shows or students who stop coming to class after a time), and in general, helping them navigate the college. Once again, when trouble arises, the advise is to "go ask mmswm". I should get paid more for this :D.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2009

I won't mind going back to work. I like routine and miss goofing off with co-workers. I work in a fablulous place.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 3, 2009

I've been gone for so long. I'm a bit nervous about going back. I'll be walking in after being gone for 7 weeks. All of the teacher's manual and guides are in the classroom (I left them for the sub) so I haven't really got a clue where they are or what to do, but I'll come up with some fun activity day for Monday.

I am nervous. I'm afraid I'll get all emotional, and I don't want to.

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

I will be happy to get back to school too, even though this year has been difficult due to program changes. I do love what I do, and always said that even if I won a ka-zillion dollars in the lottery, I would still keep working!

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

"And, for the record, I would be very happy if my kids never had to return to school. Matching socks, healthy snacks and lunch or lunch money to pack each day, tests, homework... Man, I LOVE summer!"

I am soooo there with you. My own kids (ages 8. 10 and 5) have been sleeping in until 9 every day...it's gonna be rough at 6:45 Monday morning!
    Kim

15. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jan 3, 2009

I'm looking forward to getting back, too. I just wish I had more time to recover...I had sinus surgery on the 29th and then spent New Year's Eve in the ER...found out I had pneumonia. I'm having a hard time with this recovery, so I'd love a few more days, but I have such a great group of kids this year...I know they'll take good care of me at school. I don't have to be back till Tuesday, but it will be good to be back!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2009

I'm looking forward to going back as well. I really enjoy many of my colleagues and I'm working with some great kids this year. A few were having some real difficulties before the break; I'm eager to hear how they have been doing.

17. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

Breaks are nice, but after about a week I get bored. I love my school and my kids, so I don't have a reason to not want to go back. The only problem I know I will have is I like to stay up late during breaks. I never get a good sleep the night before because I need to get back into the habit of going to bed before midnight. :lol:

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 3, 2009

Oh, goopp, take care of yourself. I wish you had a few more days to recuperate, too.

I've already been in two afternoons to get my room fixed up. It was blessedly quiet and I could concentrate. I'm looking forward to Monday, a teacher work day, for various reasons: teaching is fun, I'm curious about some problems that are simmering, and I'm looking forward to changing some procedures. I just wish we could have a few extra hours at home each day .....

19. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

I am looking forward to seeing my kiddos too... I have a great group this year and have missed them. I was really sick the week before the holiday- and did not have the best week. Looking to make up for lost time next week :)

20. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

I love my job this year. I have great kids, a great school, great everything...I can't wait to go back.

I could use an extra day though, I am putting in a bid for a house Monday and I have tons of papers to grade.

21. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jan 3, 2009

I didn't realize there was a fellow homeschooling teacher here :hugs: I agree- homeschooling is amazing!! My college age daughter teaches my youngest and keeps watch over my high schooler as he does his work. She lives at home and it's her 'job' for now. We pay her what we used to pay the babysitter while I was in college part time (plus room & board, car insurance, etc.) and she takes night classes. Works wonderfully for us!

Anyhow, I love my job, too! This is my second year teaching full time and my first year with a contract. I teach in a beautiful new school full of the latest technology with amazing people all around me! I love my fellow teacher friends and my kids are the greatest! Two great years in a row!:thumb:

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2009

I'm in a great district with wonderful colleagues and administrators. I love my job and will be happy to get back to it...getting out of bed will be hard on Monday but I'll be back in the groove quickly! (I have an 8:15 Child Study meeting...that will jar me right back to reality!! At least I feel good knowing this particular sweetie of mine will be getting some more help that he needs...) ;)

23. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 3, 2009

I can't wait to go back and dive right into the material. I have been extremely lazy lately and needed this break to refresh. Now both my son and I are up doing work probably untill at least 3:00 AM!

24. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

I also can't wait to get back and hit the ground running. I have spent the break doing lots of research and setting up my blog, but there's nothing like the thrill of teaching.

I'm also teaching Sociology for the first time and am so excited for it.

25. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

I can't wait to get back either. This weekend has been a basketball tournament for 5th-8th boys and girls, and I have seen a bunch of my students and parents. They have missed me, and I have missed them.

26. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 4, 2009

The best part will be seeing the kids and how excited they are to get back. I swear they'll have grown substantially while they were out! They'll have a hundred stories to tell!

27. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

I love my job too, I would not do it if I did not love it.

28. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

I'm also looking forward to going back! I have really missed my school and all the people I work with.

29. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

I'm looking forward to tomorrow too. I've got my bag packed and I'm finishing up some lesson plan details. I spent the break planning for some new activities, so I'm excited to get started on them. My anxiousness comes from the getting started.

I can't wait to see how much my kids have grown...they seem to get bigger during vacation!