Call-In/Absence Policies

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Mar 16, 2008

We are having quite a problem at my center with people calling in sick a lot, asking to leave early, etc. It is always the same people. There are also several teachers that are still working there who normally would not be but the administration is so desperate for bodies that I think they are hesitant to let anybody go. These staff members are just lazy and ineffective in the classroom From my perspective and experiences there, it is a great school. Very clean and professional atmosphere. My question is what policies or consequences do your schools/centers have to prevent frequent absences and how do you attract and keep quality teachers? Lack of pay doesn't seem to be a motivator. They go through their sick days and continue to call in. We get sick days as well as vacation days and holidays.

3. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 16, 2008

When I taught at a preschool center if we went over our sick days and we were out we had to pay the substitute out of our pay. It was a half day program and substitutes would make $50 a day and that would be taken out of our paycheck.

4. msj

msj Companion

Mar 17, 2008

At our center, if we are at work everyday and never late for one month, we earn a paid day off (we regularly do not get any sick days.) Also for us to take any days off even if we are sick, we must find a fill-in...no fill-in, no day off.

Tiffw45..wow...never heard of that one.

5. pabef

pabef Comrade

Mar 21, 2008

At my center you pay the subs as well if you have used up all your sick days.

6. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Mar 22, 2008

I think offering incentives for working full days and not calling out are great ideas. I think that offering positives, rather than negatives just as we do with students, usually works wonders with employees. When I worked as a preschool teacher, the pay was low and the benefits weren't all that great either. We were even expected to come in on a Friday night to run graduation with no pay :eek: I am in NYS, but wonder if it is legal to take sub pay from a worker's check? Typically, (around here) if you've used all your sick days, you take any days thereafter without pay.

7. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

I agree that it usually makes sense to take extra sick days without pay. I did wonder about taking sub pay out of the worker's check. It seems like a double penalty if they are already not being paid for that day.

8. Hannah's Place

Hannah's Place Rookie

Mar 23, 2008

Well, finding well qualified and hard, dedicated workers is always a problem. I am currently going thru that myself. The revolving question...how do you find a teacher who will be honest, dedicated to the kids and her work, show up on time and actually work instead of chatting with co-workers and not get burned out.
    There is no easy solution...first you should look at your hiring techniques and see if you can change them (more in depth questions at initial interview or have them come in for a trial teaching day); then you have to find ways to keep them motivated and give them incentives that won't cost you too much (try acknowledging them publicly in your newsletters to parents for a job well done, let them leave early unexpectedly during a rough day when numbers allow, try giving them a small bonus for a job well done).
    The other part of your question is consequenses for coming in late, etc. Well first dock their pay and speak to them. Write them up after second offense and remind them that this job requires responsible workers who are punctual. If I were you I'd also start looking for a replacement. That way if you do need to let them go you can already be looking for someone else.
    We have a difficult, and often unrewarded, job. Your best bet is to ask a ton of questions during the hiring process. It doesn't always work, but it helps to weed out alot of people you'd rather not employ.
    Good Luck and hang in there!!

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Mar 24, 2008

We have quarterly attendance awards for the top 3 people with the least amount of time out. We also do not pay once you've used up your sick hours. This only discourages some people, though; others do not mind if they miss some of their pay. Also, if you call out less than a certain amount of time before your shift, you don't get paid for that time. (i.e., we require 2 hours notice, so if you don't call until 8 a.m. for a 9 o'clock shift, then you can't get paid for any time until 10 a.m.; however, if you had called at 7 for a 9 o'clock shift, you'd get paid for all your hours provided you had them).