Call back

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms.SLS, May 15, 2013.

1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 15, 2013

In both teaching jobs I've gotten, I recieved "the call" the same day as the interview. I don't know how normal this is.

I'm waiting on pins and needles for a job that I finished the second interview for on Monday. He said they would be calling "by the end of the week."

Because my experience has been that if they want you, they call you ASAP, I'm inclined to feel that they aren't going to make an offer.

What have your experiences been?

3. cynstv

cynstv Rookie

May 15, 2013

I wouldn't stress yet... he told you the end of the week, perhaps they had someone scheduled for today or tomorrow as well.

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 15, 2013

In all honestly, it has been my experience as well that the call comes quickly - although not necessarily the same day.

I say this not to make you give up hope, but to be realistic in case it doesn't work out. That being said, it's only been 2 days! Let's hope they're just taking their time.

In the meantime, continue to apply for other opportunites. I can think of no better way to distract yourself. :)

5. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 15, 2013

Well, they had another interview yesterday morning, so I figured the call would come yesterday or today, but nothing... Ugh.

I have a current job that I love, but this district is nice and MUCH closer to my home (currently commuting 65 miles one way).

I can't complain, I just want to KNOW.

6. redtop

redtop Companion

May 15, 2013

First, as I have said in other threads - your job application is never as important to them as it is to you.

Second, I'm sorry, but the waiting isn't a good sign. I'm not saying it a terrible or even a bad sign, but it does mean they are not going backflips to hire you before someone else gets you.

Third, they may have other interviews scheduled and see no reason to cancel them. Obviously they were not so enthralled by your resume that they decided not to schedule any other interviews until they talked to you.

Finally, it's possible there are internal considerations. Usually they could not interview you if it was still possible for someone within the system to bid on the job, but maybe they didn't have that restriction on interviews, only jobs. But usually they'd have told you that.

Bottom line, you're no worse off than when they called you for the interview, but no better either. In the hunt, but probably one of several.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 15, 2013

I was an internal candidate and stood a fairly good chance of getting the job, and did, yet it took two weeks to hear anything. The time before that also took a little time. Time is not always a direct indicator.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 15, 2013

I waited a week to hear about my current job :)

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 15, 2013

I've been offered 3 teaching jobs and none of them came the same day. More like the next week.

I wouldn't worry so much about them conducting another interview. I think its customary to call a few people in for an interview at the same time. The person they just interviewed probably got a called around the same time you did. They may just be going through with the rest of the interviews they have set up and then make a decision from that pool.

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 15, 2013

It isn't a bad or a good sign. I had one interview where I was hired the same day. The school I just interviewed with is a different story. Just remember, schools & administrators are very busy right now, it's the end of the year EOGS/EOCs, etc. I had an interview April 19th, got called back on May 2nd to do a demo lesson. Did the demo lesson May 6th, and still haven't heard anything. I figured I was done for because it was nearly 2 weeks between the interview and the call back, and again I am in limbo. I know it's between me and only 1 or 2 people because during the interview they said they would have their "top few people" come back to do a demo lesson.

11. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

May 15, 2013

When I interviewed the p told me he'd let me know in a week. He did let me know in exactly a week and I got the job, I found out he had to wait to hear if he had the budget to hire so I agree with others, sometimes time isn't a bad thing

12. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

May 15, 2013

In my district, sometimes, even if they know they want to hire you, they still have to do a certain number of interviews before they can let you know you have the job. Waiting isn't easy for me but I don't think you should give up yet. Keep applying and stuff, but don't give up hope. Good luck!!

13. Wrathgara

Wrathgara Rookie

May 16, 2013

My district requires references checks before HR will offer the position. Right now , no news is good news;)

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 16, 2013

I've had five offers over the years: two were on the spot, one was a few hours later, and two were the next day. However I've heard of people waiting several weeks and then getting a job offer. I think it really depends where you're located-some places might have a longer process before they can hire someone. It's always a good idea to keep applying until you have an offer and a contract.

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 16, 2013

In my area they won't let you know either way until after the school board meets to approve the hire. I once waited three weeks after my interview because that's when the next board meeting was. For my current position, I interviewed a week before the board meeting so I only had to wait a week. Hang in there!

16. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 16, 2013

The VP just called me to tell me she's finished calling my references and "we're in good shape."

AHHHHHH! More waiting. I need something definitive!

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 16, 2013

That sounds very promising. Sorry if my post sounded negative yesterday. I'm a firm believer in not getting your hopes up only to be disappointed later. Therefore, I'm hesitant to say the following, but...

In my area, administrators rarely call references unless they're getting ready to make an offer. I hope it's the same for you! :)

18. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 16, 2013

No, I feel the same way. I had more or less written it off prior to the call this morning. I am a little apprehensive though, because apparently she called my current school and I haven't told them I was looking yet.

19. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 16, 2013

P.S. I got the job.

20. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 16, 2013

Congratulations!!! Good things come to those who wait :D

21. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

May 16, 2013

Congrats!! That's so exciting!!

22. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 16, 2013

Congrats!

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 16, 2013

Yay!

24. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

May 16, 2013

Yay!! Congrats! :)

25. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 16, 2013

So now, how do I approach my P? He got the reference call, he knows whats up. I would like to wait for my official resignation until I at least get my letter of intent from the new district next week. I also know my P likes to hire new people ASAP bc he believes all the "good ones" will be taken by June. I don't sign my contract until June 11th.

26. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

May 17, 2013

first, CONGRATS!!!
    second, you hand your resignation in when you want to (I was hired due to a person retiring...my p interviewed me without the official resignation so your p is going to start to interview regardless) possible tell the P youve been given an offer and will know for certain june 11th and will hand in your official resign. as soon as you can?