California

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yellowdaisies, Apr 20, 2011.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 20, 2011

Anyone else looking to escape California?

I'm currently in a credential/Master's program in CA, and the more I watch what's happening here, the more I realize my husband and I will probably be moving if I ever hope to get a job.

My local newspaper recently published a list of all teachers and school staff that have received pink slips this year in my county - close to 1,500. (Don't even get me started on what a violation of privacy I think that is.)

I forwarded the list to my mom, who used to teach elementary down here but moved 6 years ago. She recognized 2 names on the list in the district she used to work in. They worked with her over 6 years ago. One of them was hired in 2002. That means the layoffs (yes, right now they are just potential, but still) have gone so deep as to affect someone in their NINTH YEAR with the district.

There have been layoffs state wide for the past 4 years (I should know - remember how my mom moved 6 years ago? Well she's been in her current district for 4 years and has gotten pink slipped every year) - meanwhile the credential program graduating classes of 2008, 2009, 2010, and soon 2011 (I graduate in December 2011) will all be looking for jobs together. Along with 4 years of laid off teachers. And don't assume they've all left education - you basically have to fight to get a sub job around here, because SO MANY experienced teachers have become subs.

I have GOT to get out of this state...

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 20, 2011

Fortunately, I escaped a pink slip this year! I received one last year and it was a terrible experience!

I have been with my district for six years. Last week, I learned that I will be "bumped" from my current position (2nd grade) and I'll be reassigned to middle school for next school year.

All the people who have subbed for me this school year are fully credentialed teachers who are looking for work! It's sad!

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 20, 2011

YoungTeacherGuy - Seriously, congratulations on keeping your job for next year!!

Why are they reassigning you to middle school? (I'm sure it has to do with money..seems like everything does...)

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2011

YoungTeacherDude, what will you be teaching? Are you excited about this move?

Yellow, I live in CA and it's pretty scary right now. But, it's pretty scary everywhere. I do know there are some areas in the country that are hiring, but who knows if it's worth packing up and moving there without a job offer. If you are willing to move, then I would first try to get a job offer BEFORE I do that. Last thing I would want is to be stuck in a new town with no job.
    Yellow, are you able to maybe add on some extra credentials or authorizations before you finish up with school?

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 20, 2011

I've lived in southern CA my entire life & studied for a dual credential & Masters from 2001-06. I was a special ed teacher from 06-07. In 2008, I returned to school to switch gears to SLP (speech-lang pathology). In 2010, I did a SLPA (speech-lang path asst) program & earned my license for that. I just started grad school (towards my 2nd Masters) to be an SLP this week. It's a 3-yr program, so I've got a long road ahead, but I know time goes fast, so I'm sure it won't feel as long as it seems.

So far, I don't want to get out of the state & I can't imagine living anywhere else. I like it here. Times are bad all over the country though, aren't they?

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 20, 2011

Peachyness - I definitely wouldn't move without a job offer. My program offers a streamlined authorization program for math and science after we graduate - two subjects I could never see myself teaching at the middle school level. If I were to teach middle school, I would teach English, but at my university that requires student teaching in a secondary classroom. I've thought about getting special ed certification, but I'm not convinced that the job market is much better for that anyway. And anyway, I can't afford to rack up more student loans right now. :(

Ms. I - I would RATHER stay in CA (though not necessarily So Cal), but we will see. I agree that times are definitely bad all over the country, but I have yet to hear of another state that is pink slipping teachers in their ninth year with a district...I'm always open to being proven wrong, though! :)

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 20, 2011

Since my Bachelor's Degree was in Liberal Studies with a minor in English (I have a supplemental authorization to teach English), I was assigned to teach 6th grade Language Arts/Social Studies.

Thankfully, though, job postings come out next week (for internal employees only) so I can see if anything out there seems more suitable for me. I have only taught 2nd grade (even my student teaching was in 2nd grade), so when I was told that I was reassigned to middle school, I almost passed out! :eek:hmy:

We'll see what happens. Either way--I have a job, and that's all that matters at this point!

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 20, 2011

Ah, that makes sense. I have definitely heard of people getting shuffled around due to authorizations/supplementary credentials.

I realized that I actually responded to your other thread about this, because my first student teaching placement (my second is this coming fall) was in 6th grade, but at the elementary level.

Best of luck to you - I hope everything works out!!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2011

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 20, 2011

TeacherGroupie--as always, your timing is impeccable! :thumb:

I really needed to read this!!! In fact, I think I'm going to bookmark that thread so I can read it this summer when I'm feeling like I can't teach middle schoolers!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2011

You're gonna make me blush, YTG... (can I call you that? You can call me TG.)

On a slightly separate tack, try thinking of your future students not as A Herd Of Middle Schoolers, Oy! but as individuals - they'll differ from your second graders in having more hormones and guile and bigger vocabularies (even excluding the profanities), but a remarkably similar set of Basic Human Needs, and a corresponding set of variations in how they'll respond to getting those needs met or not. Sometimes THEY wonder if they're really rational, acceptable human beings, so the last thing they need from you is the idea that YOU'RE not sure they're really rational, acceptable human beings.

Oh, and they have a bigger need to know they're in on the joke. Laugh with 'em, but be very wary of laughing at 'em.

13. pyramidreading

pyramidreading Rookie

Apr 20, 2011

I escaped California 6 years ago, before the housing bubble burst and the schools went down the toilet too. Best decision I ever made. If, when and ever the state budget and schools get turned back around, I will return. Until then, I have job security, upward mobility and a big house that cost under $200,000.:thumb:

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2011

I overheard 2 school psychs & an ex-special ed teacher talking. One of them said if you live in CA, NEVER sell your house. A relative of his did it (maybe yrs ago) & because of high prices, couldn't afford to come back.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2011

TG, thanks for the link. Rumour has it I might be moving to 7/8 also. It is good to hear the good side of the transition. I have a friend who moved from 3rd grade to 7/8 science, Social Studies. She loves it. You just never know how things will turn out. Kids are kids. What intimidates me more is the content. My class would be multi subject. Whew, that is a LOT of content...

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 22, 2011

Hey, $200,000 in my area could get me a fairly decent 2 bdr 1 bath condo....;) And I wish I were joking...

Can I ask where you escaped to?

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

I just have to speak up for the state-I heart California. Coming from Michigan, it's wonderful. I love the weather, I love the culture, I love the people... I haven't had the best luck with schools out here, but I know great ones exist. Just look at TeacherShelly-she's in a fantastic school. And I know GoldenPoppy and others are from the area and they are pretty happy, too (I think). So even if you can't escape, hopefully you can find a great home base. ;)

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 22, 2011

Jem - I do like CA - I like the weather, all of the variety, the fact that my entire family lives in the state...but I don't like feeling like I may have to wait years and years to finally start my career. I also don't like what years of massive budget cuts have done to the schools in this state.

I would LOVE to teach in CA, don't get me wrong. I love the diversity here. I love working with English Learners and their families.

Ah, well, we'll see. I'll probably end up trying to hang in there for awhile, but if I still don't have a job a couple years from now (and, for the record, my husband and I are willing to move almost anywhere in the state)...I may need to reevaluate.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

Maybe look in the Bay Area. I've found a job at different schools for the past four years up here without much trouble. There was just a posting for a private Catholic school (5th grade) on Craigslist this week, and there will be more soon.

Are you working with CalWest? They are pretty good at getting people interviews. Def. keep up with Craigslist, though, especially in the Bay area.

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 22, 2011

I'm actually not able to apply this hiring season, because I don't finish my credential program until December. I just like to plan ahead. ;)

I've seen CalWest mentioned on here before....what is it, exactly?

I have noticed quiet a few jobs in the Bay Area on edjoin. But considering that the Bay Area is even more expensive than where I'm living now...(hard for me to imagine lol)...it's tough to imagine moving there. We haven't ruled it out, though.

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2011

Anyone concerned about California's budget deficit ?? ..... What is it about CA's lawmakers (on both sides of the aisle) that let everything get so out of control?

I love to visit California...... especially the the Bay area.... but I could never "live" there ........ Hope not to offend my CA buddies........:)

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

Yeah, I don't think this area would suit your political views much, Major. ;)

CalWest is a placement agency for private schools. Many private schools don't post their jobs publicly-they pay recruiters. So you have to go through a company like CalWest to even find out about the openings. They have job fairs and work independently with you to get you interviews. I've used them twice and found them great to work with. They are free-you do not pay, the schools pay them when they hire you (a finder's fee). So it doesn't hurt to send them your resume.

My husband and I have found this area fine to live in on two incomes, one a teacher's income. It will be tough on one income, but doable (our rent is high, but it is not the norm). Renting is great around here-prices have really come down lately. Buying is still pricey.

23. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2011

Not sure what you mean by my political views, Jem..... Maybe you can help me... :confused:

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

I've gotten the impression from your posts that you are a bit more conservative on the spectrum than the community where we're living now. Nothing wrong with that-just different! And I've gotten the impression that you feel very strongly about your views (as you should), so it might be hard to live in an area where people very strongly on the other side. Again, nothing wrong with that!

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

Jem, I'll pm you about a job at my school. You've got to get into the applicant pool, seriously! :)

I don't know what I did in past lives to bring on a string of everything's-going-my-way, but they are ... I love my job.

Yellowdaisies, I have done things to get the job I want that others would think were nuts. I've made appointments with principals for 5 minutes time to talk with them about their school and what it takes to be considered for a teaching job there. And many have said YES! Some say NO! (or more precisely, they say Yes But Not Now and then don't reply to second requests). I knew exactly what kind of school I wanted to work in. I am passionate about my philosophy of education and had my 30 second summary down in case I'd run into someone who could help me find my ideal job. I told everyone about what I was looking for. I mean Everyone. I called every person I could think of and told them about my need to find the right teaching job. I asked them to keep an ear out in case they heard of anything. These were not just teachers, since I was not a teacher, but just people I knew - parents on playdates with my kids, husbands of my girl friends, wives of my guy friends, people I worked with in past jobs. People LOVE to help someone, and are flattered to be asked. You'd be surprised how many Informational Interviews you can through friends of friends. Having the name of someone the P or District HR person knows makes doors open.

If you're willing to put fear and shyness aside, you can make things happen! I wish you success!

26. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 22, 2011

Oh, and Yellowdaisies, I hope you know about EdJoin. We always put our job opportunities on that site.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2011

Well, I did escape CA, not quite for those reasons....But, we had been talking about leaving CA for a while because it's so expensive, and it is definitely a tough time to find a teaching job....

28. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 22, 2011

Thanks Shelly - and yes, I definitely know about Edjoin. :)

29. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

Anyone concerned about California's budget deficit ?? ..... What is it about CA's lawmakers (on both sides of the aisle) that let everything get so out of control?

Some of it has to do with the 2/3 majority needed to pass the state budget up until it was changed in the last election to majority, this was in place since the passing of proposition 13 which was in the late 70's. We also have to have a 2/3 majority to raise taxes in this state; but only a majority to create tax cuts-I am sure you can see the problem that creates. The 2/3 majority for taxes is still in place right now which is why the tax extension was not put through. So basically a small minority of the politicians can hold the budget and any tax changes on hold indefinitely. The fact that so much of the budget was put through so fast this year is a record. The budget in the state has not gone through on time in some crazy length of time like 30 years or something.

30. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2011

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2011

I'm sure Major could be comfortable almost anywhere. As Americans, we have the right to ask questions, examine and have strong opinions about our government...even when others disagree. Pigeon-holing someone because of perceptions of their political leanings closes doors and limits our experience. There are many who live in California who are struggling due to the state's fiscal crisis...I believe Major and EMonkey were simply expressing curiosity and concern for how that great state got into such a mess...and how it will get out of it. There are other states who are not far behind.:(

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2011

Agreed! I think we should all be expressing concerns and asking "why" and "how". If not, then we just accept it and it happens again? No, as tax payers (which I still am, btw, as a US citizen I must still report to the IRS my earnings), we have the right and obligation, really, to examine all of this...

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 23, 2011

I'm just going to say I didn't mean anything by my quip. Obviously I come from a very hippie area and Major is a little more conservative and it was more of a wink comment (see literal winking guy after sentence). I'm sorry I wrote. I really like reading your posts, Major.

This isn't a political thread nor did I mean for it to be.

34. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 23, 2011

When it comes to education and budgets... things are always political whether you mean it to be or not.

35. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Apr 23, 2011

I was born and raised in California..Fortunately, I escaped 15 years ago!! The only thing I miss is the weather!! :D

36. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 24, 2011

The situation in CA is a microcosm of what our country will see... we are on the faster track it seems. Personally, I feel the same as OP. The problem to me (in relocating, which I would be willing to do) is that I tend to think that wherever I'm looking, I would think they have their own people (their own unemployed, their own laid-off teachers who are subbing, their own new grads).

Truth is, that the situation is fubar more than people are willing to acknowledge... People seem content to ignore it, and they replace being realistic with optimism... and are happy with little crumbs and reprieves, but no one is willing to get tough and start making real (positive) changes. So I have a feeling that we won't see it (real effective change) until the system completely collapses... which I feel is coming.

37. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 24, 2011

I escaped to California close to 20 years ago. I'm not going anywhere. Like all politics, I think things just go along as messed up as they do, while people like me, teachers, do what we can to affect those in our circle of influence.

38. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Apr 24, 2011

There seem to be quite a few jobs in the desert (ie Bakersfield, Fresno, etc). Mostly the areas no one wants to live... including myself.

39. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 24, 2011

Hi,

Fresno & Bakersfield aren't the desert (we're part of the Central Valley). But you're right--there aren't any jobs in the Fresno area!

~YTG

40. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 25, 2011

I don't think there are jobs in Fresno itself, but I've seen jobs posted in Fresno county, and other counties throughout the central valley. They're mostly in smaller cities and more remote areas.

On another note (and not to YTG) - I think it's funny to call the central valley the desert, given all of the agriculture...;)

41. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

Haha ok, I just meant desert in the sense that there's nothing there.

You could argue that point too I suppose. I'm just not a fan of the inland central valley.