California - WGU - Teacher Preparation Program/MA

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by lovemath, May 21, 2009.

1. lovemath

lovemath Rookie

May 21, 2009

Hi! I am researching of deciding where I should attend or go online for teacher preparation program (Mathematics in High School). I understand that WGU is supported by California Governor. However, I have a few questions.

1) WGU program requires student teaching at the end of the program that itwill last about 90 days without paid. Does it occur to you? Or is it possible that public school may pay for "full-time" student teacher? I asked since I had to support my family and it would not be possible to survive without getting paid for at least 90 days.

2) If you have received WGU certification indicating that you completed teacher preparation program or Masters Degree including Teacher preparation program, didn't you have any trouble with prinicipals who were looking at your resume and concerned with "WGU" program?

Thanks,

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2009

What you're looking for, lovemath, is an internship - teacher training by night combined with teaching by day. I don't know whether any are still available, given the brutal economy, but one gets an internship through a school district, as nearly as I understand it. .

Outside of internships, student teaching is a state requirement, and it's generally unpaid.

4. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

May 25, 2009

What part of California are you in? there's loadssssss of internships available in california for secondary math

5. lovemath

lovemath Rookie

May 26, 2009

Inland Empire

6. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

May 27, 2009

I am not sure about the inland empire.. but I know both Long Beach, LA, and San Diego (Which I am currently in) offer internships for math and science.

I'd highly recommend the one in San Diego

7. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 27, 2009

I don't know about LAUSD. They are in a world of hurts right now.

8. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

May 28, 2009

Every district is in a world of hurt right now..

Speaking for San Diego Unified.. we're on a complete hiring freeze.. and they still hired 30 new interns for math and science to start the next school year.

There's always a need for math and science... regardless of the budget.

9. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I am currently in Northern CA - moved here from Texas a few years ago - and interested in moving to San Deigo to do intern position. Can you give me more info? Thanks

10. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I am happy to hear that.

11. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Jun 17, 2009

www.sandi.net/internprograms

I just finished year 1 of my internship (well classes are done but I am still teaching).. so feel free to pm me with any questions

12. TeacherMomABC

TeacherMomABC New Member

Jul 8, 2009

WGU is a great choice for long distance learning!

Hi,
    I am an undergraduate student in the Special Education Teacher Preparation program at WGU (Western Governors University). I have completed all coursework and will be finishing up my degree with student teaching this September. If you are looking for an accelerated online program, I absolutely recommend WGU. I am a part time para, I have two small children (one with Autism) and there is no way I would ever have been able to complete a campus based teacher preparation program so WGU was the answer to my prayers. There are only two online universities that have the accreditation to offer teacher certification programs online so your options are limited however know that WGU is a wonderful choice (not to mention much cheaper than the University of Phoenix)! When I started WGU in 2007, I was weary about attending a university online but I made the right choice and this school is absolutely legitimate and accredited.
    In response to your question #1, NJ does not pay student teachers unless you are a "teacher of record" meaning you have a contract. I am not sure if the same is true where you live.
    In response to your question #2, I have spoken to many people on many forums as well as those WGU students and alumni across the country and not one person has had any issues with employment due to attending WGU (an online university) so no worries on that issue. I hope this helps and good luck:)
    Nicole