California: TPAs?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Alyssa20, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Alyssa20

Alyssa20 Rookie

Dec 12, 2017

I just finished my first semester of the mscp program at a CSU (yay, just 2 more to go!). Through out this semester, I've heard a lot of students and professors briefly mention TPAs. From the sounds of it, it seems like the equivalent of a Thesis that students in the masters program do (is it?). Now, I also heard it's an exam... so I very confused. Students have said it's a 40+ page report (which is why it seems like a Thesis assignment). But online...I've read it's like an exam with scores. Can anyone explain this to me please?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 12, 2017

I didn’t have to do my TPA’s because I went through alternate certification, specifically private school teaching experience. This means I got my teaching credential after teaching at a private school for three years and then completing an accelerated (1-year) BTSA program to clear my credential. I still had to complete a teaching credential program up to but excluding student teaching, as well as pass the CSET Preliminary Technology Subtests I and II, CBEST, Praxis 5161, and CSETs Math Single Subtests I, II, and III.

TPA’s can vary in the workload depending on the program, but they can be pretty lengthy. I wouldn’t worry too much, though. CSU schools prepare their graduates very well for these types of tests!

And congrats on finishing your first semester. I wish you the best of luck going forward!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 12, 2017

Alyssa20, you can find official information about CalTPA and its tasks here: https://www.ctc.ca.gov/educator-prep/tpa-california-candidates. TPAs these days are fairly similar in format and scoring: most tasks involve videotaping one's teaching and reflecting on one's teaching. You'll almost certainly be doing this online, and each task will present a series of questions. In some cases, a question has multiple parts, so it appears that you're having to repeat yourself and repeat yourself. Don't: to begin with, give the overview answer, then spell out each of its aspects as you're prompted to. The scorers are typically teachers or teachers of teachers, so use the jargon of education where it's appropriate.