California to Utah -license requirements

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Shawsome01, May 28, 2008.

1. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

May 28, 2008

First, let me say I am new to forums and am still a little "wobbly." I have recently graduated with a BA in Liberal Studies and am getting ready to enter a credentialing program, but am thinking of moving to Utah within the next few years. Does anyone know if my California Credential will be good in Utah or will I have to start over? Also, is the single subject CSET the equivalent of the PRAXIS II or will I have to take the Praxis as well? Any help will be appreciated. I hate to spend an additional $15,000 on the credential if I can't use it in Utah.

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 28, 2008

I found this web page for people with out of state certifications moving to Wyoming http://www.usoe.k12.ut.us/cert/OOS/OOSAPPL.HTM. It looks like they give three years complete the testing requirement in Utah. You should probably call or e-mail the Utah Department of Education just to verify, but it looks like it should work. I'm currently looking at moving to other states and most offer reciprocity and give you at least a year to complete testing requirements.

4. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

May 28, 2008

Thanks, I've been to the website and looked through it, but I think I'll just email them with my questions. I've been subbing during the days and can't seem to find the time to call them. Thanks for the help.

5. lou reed

lou reed Companion

May 29, 2008

You will need to take the praxis again... as well as the basic skills test. Utah didn't accept the Illinois equivalent I sent in. Word of warning: in the link that jessica26 posted, there's a list of things you need to send to the department of education. They all need to go together, or they will keep sending you the pieces back and delaying your license. College transcripts don't need to be sealed. The fingerprinting is usually done through your district.

Word from the wise: I'd avoid applying at the Jordan school district (both east and west side) for a few years. It's splitting (into a new east side district and the remaining west side piece) and is probably going to be a disaster. It does pay better than the other districts, though.

6. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

May 30, 2008

Thanks, Lou Reed

I realize now that the credential is necessary regardless as without it I can't teach here. Once credentialed I can apply in Utah as a credentialed teacher, and possibly skip right to level II (as long as I have three years teaching experience). Three years actually sounds about right for when we'll actually be ready to move as the real estate market is not in a good place right now. Is Utah going through the same problems California is with budget cuts? I know that many school districts around here are letting many teachers go. One district, Rialto, is letting go 600 employees, and the district I am trying to get an internship in is letting 100 employees go. While not all the employees are teachers, it certainly is making it more difficult to find a district that is willing to hire an intern.

7. lou reed

lou reed Companion

May 31, 2008

Nah, there is still a big demand for teachers out here. We have the highest birthrate in the country (but very low per pupil spending, unfortunately.) As long as you're in Salt Lake or Utah counties, you'll be employed.

8. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jun 1, 2008

No problem getting a job in Utah. I will be teaching 2nd grade in Ogden. Relocating 6/30/08 from Los Angeles!

9. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

CaTeacher2B, How exciting! I love living in CA for the weather and beaches, but much of my extended family lives in Utah and as I get older (over 40 now!) I feel the need to be closer to them. My husband has a fantastic job here and he is the main source of income for the family. My 6 kids have only ever lived in CA and this is where all their friends are. Utah teachers don't make nearly what the CA teachers do, but we are willing to make the sacrifice. How long have you been teaching in CA? What part of LA did you teach? I have a friend who teaches Kindergarten in Palmdale. Other than that, all my friends are employed in either San Bernardino or Riverside counties.

10. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

CaTeacher2B, How exciting! I love living in CA for the weather, beaches, and convenient recreation, but much of my extended family lives in Utah and as I get older (over 40 now!) I feel the need to be closer to them. My husband has a fantastic job here and he is the main source of income for the family. My 6 kids have only ever lived in CA and this is where all their friends are. Utah teachers don't make nearly what the CA teachers do, but we are willing to make the sacrifice. How long have you been teaching in CA? What part of LA did you teach? I have a friend who teaches Kindergarten in Palmdale. Other than that, all my friends are employed in either San Bernardino or Riverside counties.

11. adrope

adrope New Member

Jul 1, 2008

has anyone talked to the Utah Teacher Education Dept about the PRAXIS vs the CA tests? They really don't accept the CBEST or CSET?

12. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I think you would be fine moving from CA to UT. California is supposed to be the most demanding state re credentialing (most requirements) from what I was told...

13. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

adrope

I actually emailed the Utah DOE and got a couple of responses. No, they do not accept the CSET and a credentialed teacher coming from another state will have to take the PRAXIS II. Also, the preliminary credential in California is comparable to a level I Utah license. In addition, there may be other requirements depending on the coursework taken in California. Not every thing taken in CA satisfies the endorsement requirements for Utah. The link to check the endorsement requirements is
    http://www.schools.utah.gov/cert/endorsements/endorsem.htm

I hope this helps you.