California Teaching Credential

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vladib2b, Apr 17, 2009.

1. vladib2b

vladib2b New Member

Apr 17, 2009

Hi, I've been a high school teacher for 13 years. My wife is a tutor (in fact, for AtoZ) and she also wants to break into teaching as an elementary school teacher. What is the most inexpensive program in California? She has a Bachelor's in Psychology and Master's in Marriage and Family Therapy. Obviously, she used to be a counselor but now wants a career change. So two questions:

1. (once again) What is the least expensive way toward a teaching credential in California?

2. What, if any, value do the degrees that she currently holds have toward a credential?

I am hoping an angel out there can help us with an answer. She really wants to be a teacher. But money's tight with the tuition she's paying for her Master's in Counseling. We don't anticipate any financial aid outside of a loan.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2009

Will any of her units transfer toward the credential? Probably not. Will the background they give her be useful in the classroom? Probably.

She might do well to see whether the APLE program is still going - this is a program that assumes a fairly hefty chunk of one's student loans if one is willing to teach for up to four years in an underserved area, and I believe there's a list of eligible schools on the Web site of either the Commission for Teacher Credentialing (http://www.ctc.ca.gov) or the California Department of Education (http://www.cde.ca.gov).

Most of the CSUs have reputable programs that are, as these things go, cheap: she could contact the nearest CSU's school of education for more information. An accelerated program, if it isn't hideously inconvenient, would have the additional advantage of being over with faster.

One caveat: at the moment, finding jobs in elementary education is... um... a challenge.

4. vladib2b

vladib2b New Member

Apr 17, 2009

Thanks!

Thanks for your response. I'll check it out.

But what is the least expensive ordinary program? Are their any distance learning courses that are cheaper than state universities, etc.?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2009

Unless she can land an internship (and those are next to impossible for multiple subjects), not really.

6. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Apr 17, 2009

The above posters are correct about the CSUs offering the cheapest option. In the end no one really cares how you get the credential, just that you have it. Also, I would encourage your wife to consider getting both a multple subject credential and then adding on a single subject authorization-all she needs to do is pass the cset (not too bad if you're already in school mode) and then take one methods course. Right now, the only places hiring any significant amount of mult sub teachers is in georgia. Seriously! She should also consider preparing herself to teach intervention type courses in reading or math. Districts are hiring there and the money will continue to flow towards them. You need an english or math single subject to do that.

We were at a job fair last week and it was depressing to tell all the ms teachers that's we weren't hiring this year. But districts are almost begging for good math science and intervention teachers now.
    Most districts will pay her for her masters.
    Good luck!
    Db

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 18, 2009

Check out the Calteach program offered through the CSUs. It offers the least expensive distance learning program and an internship.