California Teacher Recruitment Fair 5/1/10

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoreline02, Jan 19, 2010.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jan 19, 2010

Hello!
    I have been scouting edjoin and noticed the Northern CA teacher recruitment fair for May 1st. I was just wondering if anyone had gone to previous fairs in CA like this one. I actually live in Pennsylvania and would LOVE to find a job and make the move to northern California. It's such a beautiful state. But I am wondering if it is worth the trip out there to attend this fair. I do have family/friends who live in CA so I would not have to stay at a hotel or rent a car. I actually find it quite exciting to go and meet the schools! Let me know your experiences/opinions! ;)

Also, I am currently student teaching and will be graduating May 7th with a Pennsylvania teaching certificate:D I also contacted the CA credentials and know the requirements to gaining my CA teaching certificate.

3. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jan 19, 2010

I love job fairs. What area is your credential in?

Education jobs in California are down right tough to get right now even in some alleged high need areas. . .

People are getting laid off and non-renewed. . .

who knows what this year will bring. . .

with that being said if you have family out here you can stay with

come out visit them. . .and so on.

Make the fair part of your trip.

If you know someone who knows someone use any connection u may have.

Often I find the jobs I have applied for they have a canidate in mind.

I'm in southern california I have no idea of the hiring climate in nothern california at this point.

I am sure others will chime in on this.

Stephanie

Stephanie

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

I agree with the previous post. If your credential is in a high needs area - which, at this time, in Southern California seems to be only Science ... come out for sure! Otherwise, come out for the experience and the fun of seeing Northern California (it's a fantastic place to visit - I was raised up there). I'm thinking that Job Fairs in California are being held right now as business ventures - not actual employment opportunities.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2010

I suggest searching the forum for all the past posts of California job seekers. I think it will give you a good handle on what to expect.

6. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Jan 19, 2010

Close friends of mine have attended this event in past years and found it to be a complete waste of time. (Each of these friends ultimately found a teaching job through a personal connection or a routine application process.)

If you browse through the Web site of the California Association for Employment in Education (CAEE), sponsor of the Northern California Teacher Recruitment Fair, you will notice several red flags:

* The CAEE represents a very small slice of public school districts. Of the hundreds of districts in Northern California, fewer than 20 are CAEE members, according the directory on the organization's Web site (which says, "as of 1/14/10"). According to the posted by-laws, school district membership dues are just $50. One would expect many districts to join at that price. Clearly, this organization lacks influence and clout.

* The CAEE is promoting its Recruitment Fair on the basis of last year's participants, and has not yet posted the list of districts committed to participating in 2010. Career fair sponsors often resort to this deceptive tactic when they know that employer interest is waning.

* This year's recruitment-themed conference, "Recruiting the Millennial Generation" was canceled :D because the CAEE "did not receive sufficient registrations", according to the "Conference" section of the Web site. Though I am trying not be unduly pessimistic, this is an indication that California school districts are not much interested in teacher recruitment this year.

As another poster has already advised, be cautious about California. There are very few job opportunities here. A quick search of EdJoin (used by many if not most California school districts), reveals just 84 "certificated" vacancies state-wide in math, traditionally one of the subjects with the highest demand. Half of these are stale postings from over a month ago and many are for tutors. :help:

7. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 19, 2010

I have to agree with other posts. I am born in raised in SoCal, and I have my multiple subjects teaching credential for California. I was teaching in a private school for two years, and tried to get into public. There are hardly any jobs in elementary, especially in Southern California, where I'm from. However, Northern Cali is facing troubles too, as guest teacher and Special-T said so well. I ended up moving to Arizona and took a job out here, which I do feel grateful for. I still get homesick but I know going back to cali is just not an option right now. I would say California is one of the hardest hit in terms of difficulty finding a teaching job. The cost of living has caused many to leave the state, and it also has a 26 billion $ deficit, which is adversely affecting school districts all over the state. If you do have your cred in science, then go for it. And, it's always worth visiting to see family. I don't meant to sound doomsday either, it's just the reality of what California Teachers are going through right now.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2010

Ooooh, a teaching job in CA right now. With all due respect, good luck with that.

9. Christinak6

Christinak6 Rookie

Jan 22, 2010

I've been to one of those job fairs for LA and Orange County (Southern CA) almost 6 years ago and when I look back at that experience, I was excited before the whole job fair. On the other hand, when I got into the room full of booths, I felt like a number, dropped off my resumes, and that was it.

I'm not the gift of gab, but I did find it a little difficult to get some kind of conversation going with the HR people. You want to stand out, but so does everyone else. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but that was just my experience.

I do agree with other posts to come to CA and make visiting with family a part of your trip.

10. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jan 25, 2010

I'm sorry to say that I would not expect much from it. I left Northern California last year after no hope what so ever of getting a job. Last year lots of districts layed off teachers, and I mean a lot of teachers. Where is the job fair and where would you hope to work? Sacramento area may have a few positions open this year as well as the bay area. Just expect competition to be fierce and most of the more rural districts will be nearly impossible. They will be hiring back any teachers that were layed off first, and then they will hire the aides that have teaching credentials. Sorry, CA is just not the place to be looking for a job. Let me know if you need any more help or specific information about areas.