California Teacher Induction Costs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CaliforniaRPCV, May 2, 2020.

1. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

May 2, 2020

I've been looking through job postings and just realized that there may be a cost to teacher induction. Pretty ashamed I didn't know that already. My research has turned out to be more than somewhat flawed. I have assumed way too much. I've seen anywhere between $2,250 from SIATech to $7,000 from UCSD.

I can't tell much about the program offered by my local county DOE. I can't even tell if they are still offering one - lots of broken links.

Anyway, I thought the induction program was going to be mentoring and some extra supervision for the first year or two, and part of employment. Apparently not necessarily, and maybe not at all.

Anybody willing to fill me in on this? Google is not a reliable friend here.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2020

I was under the impression that induction fees were completely covered by each district. Guess I was wrong. I’ve only worked in one district and we foot the bill for each induction candidate.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

May 2, 2020

That gives me both hope and comfort. Hope that I'm not expected to pay to get a job, and comfort that I wasn't a fool in my assumptions. Thanks!

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2020

How’s the job hunt going?

6. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

May 2, 2020

I'm hesitating. I don't have the CLAD, which is required for most nearby positions. The jobs that don't are a bit further away. I don't see myself getting that until August, which looks beyond school hiring periods. So it's looking like volunteer and substitute, or something else entirely.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 2, 2020

Me, too. My school covered all of my fees and the adjacent public school districts in my area also cover them, too. Is this not standard, YTG?

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2020

Isn’t the CLAD (EL Authorization) embedded in credentials nowadays? Or are you coming from out of state?

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2020

I thought it was the standard. But I guess s/he is seeing postings that don’t reflect what I thought I knew.

10. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

May 2, 2020

I did the alternative preliminary credential via peace corps experience. I need to do the CSETs for the subject, which I did, and the CTEL, which I have not.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 2, 2020

I’m SO glad I already Cleared my SS teaching credential. It’s really a long and tedious process that is terrible.