California subs - what are you doing this summer & fall?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by modgirl, Apr 20, 2009.

1. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Apr 20, 2009

Hello,

I just started subbing in the los angeles school district last october, and with all the planned lay offs for teachers- I was wondering if subs in california think there will still be enough sub jobs for actual substitute teachers?

I have a multiple subjects credential but with the layoffs - i'm doubtful that i will be able to land a full time teaching job. I rely month to month on subbing to make my livelihood. also, what do subs do during the summer? I feel like I doubt there will be enough year round schools to call me in during that time. I also have a part time retail job to make a little extra money.

I'm a little freaked out. I do want to get into teaching but I feel like I need to stay with subbing and in the education field because I know positions will eventually open up.

thank you :help:

jenny

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 20, 2009

I'm in San Bernardino county. The district I've been w/ has changed from traditional school year system to a system called orange track to year-round. It's currently traditional, but no matter what system it's been on, I never subbed in the summer, even several yrs ago.

This summer, I guess I'll be completely free from subbing & my college classes.

In fall 2009, I should be back to subbing. I've been blessed to have numerous, long-term speech assignments (as in speech, language, & hearing therapy grps).

4. Preacher

Preacher New Member

Apr 21, 2009

I've been a bit lucky so far, and been substituting quite a bit for an Alternative Education program in the Monterey County. And one of the teachers at a Youth Center told me, "I was a successful substitute, which would give me high priority for a summer position." With those inspiring words, I was motivated to email the principals at the different schools and will now have a full time teaching position for both summer sessions.

This Fall I'm hoping to land an internship while I attend college in hopes of obtaining my teaching credential.

5. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 22, 2009

I will most likely continue substituting in the summer as well as in the fall. I have good connections with a particular school that is only 15 minutes from me.

6. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

May 5, 2009

I've been offered a summer teaching position for special ed students. This is be for 4 weeks.