California State University is in austerity mode... wow.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherShelly, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

I received this email earlier today. It describes how CSU is not accepting new students for the Spring 2010 semester, is increasing fees, and furloughing staff and services 2 days per month.

Things like this make the depressed economy seem so much more real and scary.

Dear CSU alumni,

A focus on preserving student services and academic quality has guided plans by California State University to close a $7.2 million revenue gap for the 2009-10 fiscal year.

The entire CSU system is facing an unprecedented $564 million revenue shortfall for this fiscal year, which began July 1. The gap results from steps to address California's $26.3 billion budget deficit.

CSU campuses have implemented a student fee increase while protecting the neediest students from its impact. Also, employees will be furloughed approximately two days a month beginning in August. Most administrative services will be affected on those days, but every effort will be made to maintain students' educational experience, both in and out of the classroom.

None of the CSU campuses will accept new students for the spring 2010 semester.

California's broad financial retreat will inevitably slow CSU's historic development as a comprehensive center for higher learning. The university will continue a freeze on top administrative salaries, leave positions unfilled where possible, and curtail spending on travel, equipment purchases and maintenance and repair. Average class size could grow slightly, and the number of course sections available may be reduced. Plans for a new academic building to house the schools of business and information technology have been temporarily suspended.

The university will continue to look to students for inspiration, to faculty and staff for their unyielding dedication, and to the state for restoration of funding equal to its vital mission.

More than ever, we appreciate your support as we maintain our commitment to the success of every student and pursue the fulfillment of our enormous potential.

Sincerely,

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

My daughter told me about that. She is at University of San Francisco and a few left their program to go to UCSF. They are not accepting anyone for nursing in the spring at UCSF. Scary!!

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 6, 2009

I had wondered when I saw that CSU stanislaus was not accepting students. My kids are in their junior and senior years of high school. My daughter had just started looking at CSU and UC colleges instead of out of state to try to save money. I wonder what it will be like in Fall 2010.

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

Yikes. That's an eyeopener! I am a college student, and I also transferred at semester. Many students do! I can't imagine planning that and then being told that I COULD NOT go to school. That's so sad.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 6, 2009

I know, this is really LOUSY! :mad: I get alumni newsletter emails from my former CSU. Also, I plan to apply to a different CSU for spring 2010, so I really hope they go through w/ it. So far, that particular campus didn't say NOT to still apply. My application deadline is Sept 1st & I'm sending it in anyway & will be praying the whole time. It's a completely online program, so maybe it will be different.

7. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

Good luck Ms.I! I hope it works out for you.

8. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

Wow that is awful. :(

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2009

Thanks! I hope so too!

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2009

I got in to CSU Stanislaus for the fall. I was thinking about dropping my classes due to a new job, and then just reapplying for the spring semester. Now, I'm thinking I will keep my one night class... WOw! What a mess!!!!

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

My husband and I are paying for 2 children in the CSU System. We will really feel the increase in fees. :mad:

12. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

Meanwhile, I keep reading stories about the enormous amounts owed in back taxes by celebrity California residents. I am sure there are plenty of other wealthy non-celeb citizens who are pulling the same trick. Do they not realize what this is doing to your state?

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 7, 2009

15. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

I agree, it's horrible!!

16. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

Stuff that like makes smoke come out of my ears. It just makes me so mad!

17. SSA

SSA Companion

Aug 8, 2009

Here is the list of the list of the 250 people who owe the most to the Franchise tax board:

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/txdlnqnt.shtml

Save for Sinbad and Dionne Warwick I don't see many people that I would consider celebrities on the list. You will note that while most are CA residents that several don't live in CA and hence, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't care so much because they don't live in CA.

While these tax delinquents are contributing to various state cuts it is a drop in the bucket compared to how much more money the state is now spending on their failing and dysfunctional prison system. The state corrections budget has doubled in the last 10 years largely because it is less effective than other states in getting prisoners not to return after their sentences are up and various sweetheart contracts with the prison guards union.