California kids face 34 extra days!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bandnerdtx, Jun 18, 2009.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 18, 2009

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

I saw this on GMA yesterday and I think that it is awful. It seems to me that it would be better to make up the minutes lost rather than all the days. This is just crazy.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2009

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. What about kids and families with summer plans? It seems a pretty nasty punishment to yank away promised vacation from kids at the last minute.

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

They are going to make up the days? How are they going to pay for that? I thought Ca was in such trouble? It seems like a waste of money. Why not just put the five minutes on the school year next year?

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2009

How idiotic. My child would not attend this "summer session".

As a teacher, though, I just can't imagine this. It makes me so angry for them.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2009

The kids are only missing a few days of education.

The problem is that the district will be missing 34 days of funding because the kids did not attend for the minimum required time.

It sucks that the kids have to suffer so the district can keep the funding. They are going to learn young that we all suffer sometimes because of others' mistakes.

As far as paying for it goes, the district has already been paid by the state. They just mismanaged the money. They will have to come up with it from somewhere.

8. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jun 18, 2009

Awww, how wonderful. As seems typical in education, common sense loses yet another battle to Bureaucracy. God forbid we let logic prevail......

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

I do not think that the school did get paid. According to the book keeper at our school (charter) the state has postponed payments. We will get our payment for third quarter will not come until July.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

34 days times 10 minutes short (on each of those days) equals 340 minutes. Divided by 60 you get 5.666 hours.

So one six hour day of school should do it. My child would be attending one day.

The person who made up the schedule, and all those who OK'd it should be the ones responsible for the lacking funds.

11. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

I agree I day would be ok and the lacking funds should come out of the pockets of those responsible.

My daughter would not be attending if it was her as she has plans to attend a thing at UCLA that cost $$$$

12. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Can you imagine what it would be like teaching kids during the summer who have been forced to go back to class?? What a classroom management nightmare. Ack!

13. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

I agree that it is stupid, and I wonder if the retiring superintendent took the hit just because she wasn't coming back next year and therefore wouldn't have to bear the brunt of the criticism.

However, I'm glad they're using the time for the arts and to give the kids a boost and headstart for next year.

Having said that, you'd be hard pressed to get me to come back as a teacher. Either you'd have to compensate me or show me where in my contract it says that I have to do this. And what are they doing about summer school since they have to, in essence, teach an extra six weeks?

14. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

Sad thing. When you boil it down, it's always about the money.

15. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 18, 2009

What a bunch of hypocrites!!! The folks in that story try to come off as being masters of efficiency over a few minutes and yet at the state level, they're willing to give a student FULL CREDIT for a 40 week course that they failed during the regular school year for attending four weeks of 2-hour summer school classes, four days a week.(???) The math doesn't quite equate there, now does it?

On top of which, our teachers have had dozens of students who disappear for weeks on end only to have the principal tell the staff that they can't hold the missed days against them and have to give them the final exam after the administrators make some kind of "deal" with the parents. Where does the precise accounting of minutes figure into things there??

:dizzy:

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2009

Whether the school has been paid or not will depend on when the short days occurred. It is true that the state has delayed the most recent round of payments to school districts. In any case, the school reported ADA and the funds were encumbered. It would be nice if the necessary funds would come out of the pockets of those responsible. They won't.

In California, the precise accounting of minutes is a factor of at least a couple of things. Districts are funded by the state on the basis of average daily attendance (ADA). The day has to be a certain length and the student has to be there (subject to some formula) for the district to be paid. Some of the criteria are set by the legislature and some by state agencies. However, there is no state regulation telling the districts under what circumstances to give credit for a class. For that matter, they is very little in the way of requirements from the state as to what is required for students to graduate from high school. The two significant ones that I am aware of are to pass two math classes at least one of which is at the level of algebra 1, and pass the California High School Exit Examination which covers English and Math up to a certain level.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2009

Excellent points

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2009

I thought having to come back one extra day was awful. I hope they get this straightened out!

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 19, 2009

What a shame--- this is one of the reasons I'm happy I teach at a private school. We can have as many snow days off that we need due to safety reasons and not have to worry about making them up and keeping kids in longer when all they want to do is get to have fun during the summer.

Give the kids a break!?! How about giving a nice pay cut to the Administrators who messed up on the scheduling instead of hitting the teachers and the kids with extra days of school? All the missed funding should come out of the Admins pockets.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2009

They are at risk of losing seven million dollars. All the administrators at these two schools combined obviously don't earn that...their entire salaries combined wouldn't put a dent in what funding they would lose.

But don't worry, I still think this is just dumb, dumb, dumb. And yes, Angry Al makes very valid points.

21. eddie700

eddie700 New Member

Jun 22, 2009

wouldn't this be like attending summer school, but lasting only 34 days? parents are worried about where they should place their kids during the summer since summer schools have been canceled because of budget cuts... they have 34 less days to worry about what to do with their kids.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2009

Except that I'm not worried about what to do with my kids, and I imagine that lots of parents in CA are like me. Those who do work over the summer made their plans months ago. And very often those plans probably include grandparents who don't drive, day care at a site where it's hard to go and pick up kids when school is over, or non-refundable airline tickets.

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 22, 2009

What about all the teachers that have plans for the summer? Are they forcing teachers to come back? Also, most contracts have been fulfilled and the new contract wouldn't start until the next school year. They would need to design some kind of temporary contract and a way to pay the teachers that work the 34 days. I know that many teachers at my school plan major surgeries for themselves or family over the summer also. Just on my team of 7 4 people had a surgery or long term medical issue they were taking care of as soon as school was out.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2009

Eddie700, only a very small number of parents would be relieved to learn their children are attending school during the summer. I like to think most parents still remember the joys of childhood summers and therefore don't wish their children to thirty-four additional days of school. That's a very positive attitude you have, though. :)

And for the record, summer schools around here are very short...a week or two only.

25. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

I just know I NEED summer break to recharge, work on lessons and units for the upcoming year, go to workshops...in other words, even though I'm "off" for summer, that long break sets me up to be a better teacher the next school year. I would hate to see how frazzled and tired I would be if I had to go without it. That's just me, though!
    *Plus, I had a baby a week before our school year ended so I could have as much time with her as possible before the fall. Lots of teachers do that...if they told me to come back right after giving birth, I'd be rather unpleasant to be around!*

26. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

Is our society "majoring on the minors"?

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2009

This is exactly what I was thinking! How do they plan to make teachers work these extra 34 days, presumably outside their contract?

28. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 23, 2009

Then again... what kind of teacher would ditch out on his or her students if they had to come for another 30-some odd days? I'd hate it, especially if I wasn't getting compensated for it, but I wouldn't want to leave the kids behind like that.

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2009

I think that's sort of unfair.

I love my students, but I have my own life. There are other ways to demonstrate my concern for my students besides having away almost two months (34 days / 5 days per week = about 7 weeks) of my time for relaxing after a long and successful school year taken away. If anyone called me a bad person or a bad teacher, or said something like 'What kind of teacher is she to do that?' because I refused, I'd be pretty upset.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2009

I would.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2009

This kind of teacher.

Aside from a $5000 Disney vacation that's already paid in full, I have 2 surgeries scheduled for this summer. AND it's our "family time"-- the time I have to really spend time with my kids and husband. I treasure those 2 months.

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2009

Ditto for this teacher. My summer vacation is my time to relax with my family, get caught up on rest, and prepare to have a good school year the next year.

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2009

I second that emotion...

34. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2009

I would not work for 7 weeks without pay! I work during the summer an d have lots of already arranged plans. I would nnot give up a paying job for a non-paying job.

35. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Jun 25, 2009

I don't know about anyone else, but I already work another job in the summer to make up for the low salary I receive teaching. I wouldn't be able to continue teaching throughout the summer unless I was paid.