California Jobs-Where?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vsimpkins, Jul 5, 2008.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

I have been looking for a job for 4 years. I have applied at 11 school districts. Websites that I check all the time are Edjoin, teachers-teachers, cal west educators and the school districts. Are there any others?

3. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 5, 2008

I only know of edjoin and teachers-teachers. Are you tied to your area? The high desert (Victorville and surrounding areas) is always looking for teachers. While it's not a metropolitan hot spot, the high desert isn't nearly as boring as it used to be. And housing is pretty cheap.

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 5, 2008

You could try..............

this website, www.craiglist.com for your area or the area you want to teach in. I have seen Catholic, private and charter school positions on it. I found my position on it and edjoin. I also agree that here in the inland empire it is cheaper to live. I can't believe the house I found to rent.
    Good luck to you.

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

Where are the jobs? I'm in sped and I ask that too. I've seen more job postings the last week. One district posted 30 sped job openings. I've applied --keep getting passed over ---

job interview #9 next week! Not that I am counting. This is a NPS not sure I want it but need interview practice!

Stephanie

6. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

just keep trying...........

I applied more times than I can count. It took me 1 1/2yrs. But I did finally get a position that I am very happy with. So just keep the faith and keep applying. I applied to everything that even remotely looked interesting.
    Good luck

7. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

Thanks Stephanie! WOW! That's a lot of interviews. It seems interviews get easier as we do more. Good Luck!

8. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

Have you tried Keppel, Palmdale, Lancaster?

9. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Yes, I have. Keppel is really out in the boonies. 3 interviews and no job offers, yet.

10. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Good luck in your search...I don't know of any new websites, but the list you gave me will hopefully be helpful :)

11. ffull1

ffull1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

:wow: Are you serious?? I have heard of other people looking for months/years and not getting a job in Southern California. It makes me think I should take any job offered to me!!

12. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

just keep trying......

:2cents:I did not have a current credential in Oct. 2006 due to a tragic family crisis I was now a single parent. I did have my expired WA credential. So I quickly applied to transfer it to CA. I received the temporary in Nov 06 and quickly set to work applying for any position I could think of and subbed at the same time. I am lucky in the fact that I was not unemployed totally for the past 16 yrs. I was a school instructional aide, I was the director of religious ed at a church where we were stationed in the military, I homeschooled and taught religion. I kept applying and applying and applying. Even to places that were farther away than I really wanted to go. Finally last Dec. 07 when I thought I was going to have to move back to WA to get a job. I found a posting on edjoin. I got the interview on Tues. was asked then to come back the next day with a unit plan based on a lit book. When I got there the next day I got to observe in two classrooms before being offered the job. Last year I took over a classroom for a teacher who left. This year I will be teaching a different grade level at the same school. I am so happy with this school. All I can say is keep applying to everything. You never know when it will happen and also do not restrict yourself to one area. Apply for everythng you think you may be able to do as long as your credential covers it. Also try for areas you have not even thought about teaching in. Good Luck

13. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

jen3125

Yes, I'm serious! I had a teaching position from 1997 to 2004. In 2003 I was diagnosed with a brain tumor (benine) and my emergency expired that same year. I have my Professional Clear Credential and a CLAD certificate. I feel that the district I was working for is discriminating againist me for some reason. I also feel I'm being punished for having a brain tumor. Need a JOB!

14. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

What a story! It seems that the best teachers have real life experiences and are hard workers. Applying everywhere I can. Thanks for sharing your story. It means a lot to me. I'll let you know when good news comes. This has been the best place to get real answers on A to Z.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2008

I must get hired for the 2010-11 school year at the very latest, or else, I lose my credential. I have to teach at least another year to get my Level II credential. I already taught for a year for the 2006-07 year.

I keep checking on Ed-Join too.
    :(

16. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

I feel for you also!:confused::eek::mad::whistle::dunno:
    I must have a job this year, as I have subbed for 4 years. I had a call from Acton-Aqua Dulce principal last week, I was interviewed in June, but no offer then. I am praying and begging out loud to myself that I want a job offer soon. Hang in there! I was going to sub in other districts, since the ones in SC Valley don't want experienced teachers and I was putting my heart and soul out for them. The teachers have all told me to go else where, as the Superintendent is being so unfair to me for no reason. I am going to sub in LAUSD, as they pay more also and I can specify what districts I will sub in.

17. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I just moved to California a month ago but I have been applying for jobs since March and have heard nothing back from Edjoin. I wonder if anyone even checks that thing. I have gone on two interviews and had demo lessons but have not heard back yet from one of them. I don't have a good feeling about it.:( I use to work for LAUSD when I lived here but when I call the district all they say is that they may have openings in mid aug-end of aug. I guess I will just wait for that to happened since nothing else seems to work!

18. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

Most of the interviews and one of the jobs I've had have been from EdJoin, so yeah - they check it. If you go to the "my edjoin" tab then to "status of my applications" you can see where districts have looked at them or not.

And the High Desert has jobs. I know it's not near anyone, but then again it's not near me and that's where I work. Look in EdJoin in San Bernardino - Adelanto, Victor High School district, Victor Elementary, Snowline, Hesperia, & Lucerne Valley. There's another district up there I can't remember.

19. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks! I will check my edjoin right now to see the status.

20. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jul 29, 2008

Exclamation Po your 85 mile trip is out to the high desert?

21. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

Yep. 85 miles including a trip up and down the Cajon pass.

22. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

vsimpkins...Have you heard anything from Acton?

23. unflappable

unflappable Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

Wow, it's crazy that we're all in this. It is not a good year to be looking. So sorry that you've been looking for 4 years. I agree that the SCV is a tough one to get into. I've been subbing for them for years and naively thought that since this year I wanted to go back to full time teaching they would welcome me. So silly of me. Are you in elementary? I've probably seen you around.

I spoke with someone in HR at a neighboring district and she stated that they are opening the school year on a skeleton crew and is certain there will be a need for a few more teachers once they have their numbers accounted for. With this budget they absolute cannot hire anyone without 100% guarantee that they'll have the numbers to back it up.

I feel your anguish over putting your heart and sole into the district and not being seen as valuable enough to hire. The money from subbing isn't enough to keep us in the wings forever. If you commit yourself to subbing in LAUSD you'll have work in no time.

Good luck with Acton. I applied there too and haven't heard anything. You're a step ahead of me!

24. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

I've heard nothing yet. I called the principal, but just left a message. Thanks for thinking of me.

25. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I have been using edjoin, craigslist and also indeed.com, which is good for all those multi-purpose search engines.

26. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 1, 2008

A question for those of you who use edjoin... as someone mentioned you can check to see if your application has been viewed. There's a district I'm interested in that keeps viewing my app but I never hear from them. Should I email the contact person/do something else to make myself stand out?

27. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

How do you check to see if a district has checked your app more than once? I didn't know that was a feature on Edjoin!:cool:

Hey, I don't think it hurts in this tough job market to contact people at all. Whatever it takes, go for it.

28. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 2, 2008

LOL. This district has posted multiple positions, different grades at different schools, and almost all of them have been viewed, so at least I'm not being TOTALLY ignored.

29. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 2, 2008

Ah, ok.

Well, I know how you feel. I've applied to several jobs myself, and I can see as well that the "district viewed" my app, but then what? I've heard nothing. Oh wait, I did get a "thanks, but no thanks" letter. (sigh) I think SoCal is one of the worst places to be looking for a teaching job. It's such a heavily impacted area. Too many job seekers, not enough positions. And, I'm the first to admit I don't want to relocate to Riverside, or some other area. I like where I live. For now, I guess I will have to just sign up with some other districts to sub, and just keep applying like everyone else.

30. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

nasimi No, you don't want to relocate to Riverside, cause there's no jobs out here either! Ok... there's jobs. It's just hard to get one.

31. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

Exclamation Po: NO worries, I have no desire to relocate to Riverside! I like where I live. Got friends and fam here, as well as a great home church. I just keep the faith, pray a lot and apply apply apply. :)