California Jobs Market (Elementary)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by otterpop, Mar 21, 2014.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 21, 2014

California Job Market (Elementary)

I've heard jobs in CA are hard to find... are there any areas in the state where it is relatively easier to find work as an elementary teacher?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2014

I lived in the central valley for a few years and didn't have too much of a hard time landing a job. I now live on the central coast where I work for an amazing private school. It took about three years to land this job, but I'm so happy. I worked at an afterschool program and then a software company before being hired at this school. I know a Catholic school is hiring teachers in this town. I applied there but they weren't too happy that I wasn't Catholic (the private school I teach at is not religious affiliated). I got this job because of my reputation (I tutored many students who attend this school). I did that for three years. I was willing to work hard and do what I needed to do because I love living on the coast. :)

If you don't care about where you live in CA, maybe you can peruse edjoin and see what's out there. :)

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

Thanks! I will look up edjoin. I haven't heard of that one. I am not picky about location, but haven't been able to find one site that lists many teaching jobs in CA.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2014

If you're in Cali, edjoin is the one to use. Most school districts post here, although there are a few who don't. Also that is the website you would apply through for these districts.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 23, 2014

I would say there seem to be more jobs available in the Central Valley and northern areas of the state. The Bay Area has a lot. Southern California is a really tough market, especially Orange County and San Diego area I think. Do you have a CA credential? Our elementary credential has EL certification built in, so depending what state you're from I would look into that. (Sorry if you're from CA already.) I got a job two years ago in the LA area and another one for next year in northern CA, both at charters. If you're willing to work at a charter your job search could be much easier. Some charters are fabulous - I've had a fantastic experience at my current one, and my new one seems amazing, too.

But yes, edjoin.org is THE job search site for CA. There has already been a ton posted for next year, so if you're looking for the 2014-2015 school year, I would get started right away! Good luck! :)

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I don't know how it is in Northern Cali, but I know a lot of people don't prefer to live in the Central Valley (pollution and high crime rate, at least in certain areas) but there is only 1 main university offering a teaching credential program. I think National University is in the area, but it's not as prominent as in other areas. (not sure about US Merced either), but even then, it's not many) So you still have teaching positions, but a lot less teachers to apply. And as far as I know, there's isn't a budget issue up here.
    Not many do what I did, leaving San Diego to move here for a teaching job.

In Southern Cali, however you have many, many universities pumping out new teachers every year, and because they always seem to have a budget issue, there are many laid off teachers with years of experience applying. And a lot of people also would like to live in the area, so there is the problem with the supply and demand.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2014

I agree about not many people wanting to live in the central valley. I won't say exactly where I lived, but it was up in the Modesto region and yeah... not the greatest area. BUT, like I said, I didn't find it too difficult to find a teaching job and I did really like the schools that I taught at (it always seemed like certain areas that Los Banos, Clovis, and Fresno were typically hiring). I'm really fortunate to have gained several years of teaching experience before we moved to the central coast. :)

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

The other good thing about the Central Valley area is that you have several districts in a small area, actually several county offices of education. So if one has budget issues and has a hiring freeze, the others might not. I like alternative ed, and they're directly under the county office. In San Diego, there is one county office of ed. covering the entire area (the next one is almost 2 hours away), and since they had budget problems and weren't hiring, I left. I didn't want to wait 3-4 years, and from what I hear, everything is just as bad, so it was a good move.

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 26, 2014

FWIW, I've been told that things will be better this year, in terms of job prospects by more than one P.

I don't think I've EVER gotten an interview, through edjoin, over 5 years. The only way I think I've gotten opportunities is direct visits (stopping in to schools).

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 26, 2014

I've also heard that things will be better this year - yay! It seems to be true.

I've gotten interviews through Edjoin, and so has my mom (who is also a teacher). I just got hired a couple of weeks ago, and it was through Edjoin. I'm actually surprised that visits to schools worked for you. It seems like most hiring happens at the district level, not the school level. Maybe it depends what area of the state you're in or it's an elementary vs. secondary thing.

12. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Mar 26, 2014

Hi John, how do you go about stopping into schools? Do you find a list of schools in a certain area and call to see if they are hiring?

13. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 27, 2014

I don't call; it gives them a chance to say no, and I'm not very good talking on the phone. I just print up resumes, clip my business card to it, and hit the pavement with a smile on my face. I go in, tell them I'm a teacher, I'm just going around to area schools introducing myself, etc.

14. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 28, 2014

Thank you all for the information! I'm not licensed in CA and would be transferring my credential from another state. I will check out the Central Valley area. I lived in CA a while back and am interested in returning but I've heard it is hard to transfer licensure too. But, I won't know if it's an option if I don't try. :)