California field trips!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by stampin'teacher, Jul 4, 2011.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 4, 2011

I'm starting the year from scratch at a private school that wants to adhere a little more towards CA history and human rights. I want new and exciting field trips to places in CA so that students SEE how what they're learning relates to where they live. Missions are a bit overdone, so I'm looking for other trips that people have done that can be exciting. ANY input would be fantastic!! :)

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 4, 2011

It really depends on where you're located in CA. I don't want to list places you should visit in Nor Cal if you're located in So Cal.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 4, 2011

No kidding, YTG.

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 4, 2011

I would be interested in knowing if there is anything similar to the California Native American day in Riverside or San Diego County.
    We are in need of a field trip based on the native americans

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 4, 2011

Riverside, I can't vouch for (though it wouldn't be surprising). But there's an annual powwow in Balboa Park - sorry I don't recall when. This Web site, http://www.kumeyaay.info/, might have some helpful information for you. I believe that either the Natural History Museum or the Museum of Man in Balboa Park might have a useful exhibit.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2011

The PowWow in Balboa Park was Father's Day weekend (I went!). Barona usually has one - I think over the summer and I know the Santa Ysabel band does one as well but I'm not sure when. The Museum of Man does one yearly - check with them. The Museum of the Americas adjacent to Cuyamaca College is worth a visit and it is next door to the Water Conservation Garden which would also be a good visit incorporating social science and science on the same day. Another one I can think of concerning the settlement of the area is the Mormon Batallion Museum which has a new interactive exhibit for children which I hear is excellent and would be enjoyed by kids (you don't have to be Mormon).

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2011

The venerable guidebook Fun and Educational Places to Go with Kids and Adults in Southern California could be a useful acquisition - and you can visit it on the Web at http://www.funplaces.com.

9. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

Thanks! I'm located in Southern California, but NorCal isn't out of the question if it's a larger adventure, like an overnight or something.

10. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

11. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

Thanks katenar! Both of these look awesome!