California Credential

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by mtngirl, Dec 2, 2006.

1. mtngirl

mtngirl Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

Does anyone know what other states a California Credential is valid in?

Thank you,

Mtngirl

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 2, 2006

It's reciprocal in almost all the states. I believe there are only two where it is not. I think Texas is one of them, but I'm not sure of the other.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Dec 3, 2006

The best thing to do is go the the state web site that you wish to teach. There you should find a link regarding out-of-state teachers and it will tell you the information you need. It is true that most states do honor California Teaching Licenses, however you still have to get certification in that State. That could mean taking their own state licensure exams, or at the least another class, be it a credential class or some type of local history class. Best of luck to you. :)

5. mtngirl

mtngirl Rookie

Dec 3, 2006

Thank you so much.

Happy Holidays,

Mtngirl

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 3, 2006

I've read many times on here about the CA credential being honored in all states. Nasimi77 is right, though about there being a difference between the state "honoring" the license and allowing you to teach with it without taking that state's tests.

In MA you would have to take the licensure exams that are required for your grade level/subject area. Because the creditial is "honored" though you most likely wouldn't have to take any courses because by holding that credential you will have met the requirement of completing an accredited teacher education program.