California Certification with out-of-state courses

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jacob M, Dec 19, 2019.

  1. Jacob M

    Jacob M New Member

    Dec 19, 2019
    Likes Received:

    Dec 19, 2019

    Hi! I'm a certified California preliminary single-subject teacher who is looking to add a preliminary multi-subject certification. In order to do this, I have to take two courses: one about primary pedagogy and methods and the other about teaching early readers. There are other requirements as well but I am not as worried about those.

    For these two courses, California suggests some approved California based institutions. However, these are expensive!
    I'm wondering if they will accept programs and courses from out of state and even the country!

    Has anyone ever taken this path? I found a great professional development site that have available courses that might fulfill the requirements: These programs are from institutions like Queensland University of Technology and the National STEM Learning Center.

    Again has anyone ever taken courses for adding a credential that was out-of-state, out-of-country, or even just a for profit company? Were they approved?

    Thanks for taking the time to help me!
  3. Unetheladyteacher

    Unetheladyteacher Rookie

    Jul 11, 2018
    Likes Received:

    Dec 19, 2019

    I used my masters in teaching from Massachusetts to help reduce the amount of time it would take to get a new teaching certificate in ESL in NY. I had gotten certified to teach English in Massachusetts prior to moving to NY. Each state is different as to what courses they will accept from out of state. What I did was I submitted a transcript of all the courses I took in Massachusetts, from undergraduate through my masters in teaching program, to the school where I was taking my ESL teaching courses. They reviewed the courses to see if they covered the required material. If they did, they were accepted. If they did not, I had to take other courses to cover the needed requirements. I was asked to take another science course in addition to the ones I had taken in Massachusetts for undergraduate school because my college did not require the same number of science and math credits as the school in NY did.

    Talk to academic advisors at school about your needs and make sure they understand the differences between teaching requirements from state to state. You may need to hold their hand and submit information to help them understand what material the course you are taking covers. I would also submit any information you have about the nature of the course, such as a syllabus and a class website, to the school you are attending. Your advisors might not have any experience with out of state teaching licenses or programs, as was the case with the academic advisor for my ESL program. Also call your department of education to see what courses will and will not be accepted for a teaching certificate.

    I would hesitate to use overseas courses because teaching requirements vary greatly from country to country, and a school's curriculum will definitely reflect those differences. You want to be trained in methodologies and research that is used in the country where you will be teaching.

    Good luck, and if you have questions, please ask. I haven't done exactly what you did, but I hope I can at least help a little.
  4. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    May 13, 2005
    Likes Received:

    Dec 23, 2019

    What's accepted in one state may not work in another. Jacob M, since you're in California, let me recommend chatting up the credential analysts at your local county office of education: those people usually know (a) what the state will accept and (b) what all your options are.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Ima Teacher,
  2. TeacherNY
Total: 383 (members: 5, guests: 356, robots: 22)