Calendars (Types and Purpose)

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by BES2010, Jul 26, 2010.

1. BES2010

BES2010 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I want to have a calendar/math bulletin board in my classroom. I was wondering as 4th grade teachers what kind of calendar do you use, whats is it's purpose in your room.

At first I was considering one of those calendar sets that come with the month labels and dates for each month. However I'm teaching fourth grade and believe these students are at the age where having agendas and planners would be useful. Therefore I am considering one of those large paper (like a desk calendar) and hanging it. That way I can write on in in pen/pencil/marker, whatever and the kids can see the date but also important school and class info. I figured the paper calendar is better then a white erase one where the information could easily be messed up.

From what i know (speaking with another 4th grade teacher at my school) my classroom only has 4 bulletin boards (i figured math, reading, science, social studies). So the math and calendar can be put together and I can post information for the current math unit around the calendar. However once I see the room I may find out that I can "create" another bulletin board area for the calendar or math.

Also I have heard about using the calendar for teaching math, how is this done? I've never had any experience with this.

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I put up a calendar...I have one I bought from a teacher store, got it laminated and use a dry erase marker on it. I just put the dates, important info/events (like early dismissals, no school, assemblies, and field trips). I don't have any experience with calendar math in the upper grades. I know our K-2 does it with their Saxon Math series.

4. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I bought a blank dry erase yearly calendar that I can use for all important dates for the kids and the school. I am also going to put a cute calendar to use for bdays and math, mostly because it is useful in math and they are still kids, so it should be fun.

5. BES2010

BES2010 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

So I brought a calendar today from lakeshore. I laminated it, brought the months to put up above it and brought mini accent and calendar shapes to put the dates on. Still leaving room for important info

6. MsSci4

MsSci4 Rookie

Jul 27, 2010

I just have a regular wall calendar with animal pictures. I got it at Target for $1. The kids can write events on it and it's down low enough so they can all easily read it. They love to see the animals each month.

Last year, I started out with a big dry-erase wall calendar but it was too time-consuming to maintain. Go with whatever works best for you. =)

7. kapdel

kapdel Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

I am a HUGE Calendar Math in upper grades advocate and I highly recommend doing it in your room. It is the MOST useful thing I do in math all year. In fact, I always say that if I do nothing else in math during the day *except* Calendar, I still feel like I have given the kids a good math lesson.

If you are concerned about bulletin board space, you do not need to use any actually. You can put your Calendar Math templates up on poster boards (took me two this past year to put all of mine up.....I was limited on BB space as well). When you are doing Calendar Math, the posters are up. When you are done, they come down.

If you would like more information on implementing CM, I would be glad to help. Just let me know (I have a ton to say about it, but don't want to take over your whole thread ;) )