Calendars & Planners

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2009

Being a teacher, I'm sure we all use one. What kind(s) do you use?

I'd feel lost w/o my calendar. I love those monthly planners in the spiral bendable book format. I prefer seeing the whole month at once, NOT just a week. And a nice box for each date to write a few things in. A cute wall calendar w/ puppy pictures is also nice to hang up (in the classroom). Plus, I like having a mini-calendar for my purse. If I had my own desk at work, I like those desk calendars.

(BTW, I don't input any appts in my cell phone.)

I never have to buy my own calendar/planner. My mom can ge it for me from her work.

3. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 3, 2009

I also need to see the whole month at once.

If I lost my planner, I would have to jump off a bridge.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 3, 2009

I have a small desk pad calendar at work. It's about half the size of a standard one. I have a Day-Runner type of planner that carry to work. I always have it in the car on non-work days so I can keep everything in it. It fits in my purse, too.

I always buy the tabbed montly refills. I hate the daily and weekly ones. I like seeing the whole month.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

I have no calendar , planner, or anything of the sort.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2009

I think that I would be right behind you, Ross!

At school, we were all given planners at the beginning of the year--each month on a double-page spread. Everything goes in that book. At home, there is a large calendar on the kitchen wall with a column for each of us. If it's on the calendar, it will happen, somehow. If it isn't there, no promises.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2009

I too would be lost without my planner. When I wasn't teaching I had one that fit in my purse to keep up with family stuff. Now that I am teaching I have one that the district gave us. It's on my desk and I keep it with me all the times in my bag that goes home. We have a dry erase calendar at home. We write everything on it. Like Mrs. C if it's on the calander it will happen, if it's not then it probably won't get done or attended.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2009

Day-Timer has planners/calendars with different formats- you can create the kind of planner you want:

http://www.daytimer.com/

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 3, 2009

I pretty much just use my calendar feature on my cell phone since it's always with me! I'll write notes while I'm on the phone or talking to someone and then enter it as soon as I'm done talking. I like how I can use the alarm feature at a certain time to give me a head's up! I usually remember things without writing it down but it definately helps me feel more relaxed knowing it's written down!

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 3, 2009

I am a planner addict. I am always looking at them and usually end up buying too many for the same year because I misplace one!

I like to have the whole month, with the weekly pages behind that. I don't like the one I am using now.

My biggest problem is that I don't consult my planner every day! I do like the reminder feature on the cell phone. My brain has so many holes in it that I need all the reminders I can get. Ha!

But being disorganized, I don't understand my planner fetish!

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 3, 2009

We get planners from school too with the whole month on 2 pages in a spiral. I even use paperclips to add things - in the front I have a school calendar and class roster that always come in handy.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2009

Just to add...in additon to my planner, I have a pretty spiral notebook that I carry with me everywhere at school. I record meeting notes, phone numbers, To Do lists, etc.

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 4, 2009

I use google calendar. You need a gmail account, but you can merge calendars with another person. My SO has google calendar as well and we can see what our schedules look like merged and plan accordingly. I loooove being able to plan!

14. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

I use google calendar as well. I like being able to have a seperate calendar for school stuff and personal stuff but in the same place so I can view both simultaneously.

15. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 4, 2009

I have a moleskin planner I love. It is tiny, and you see a week at a time, which I prefer (seeing the whole month might be overwhelming!).

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2009

I write quite a bit in my calendar. I highlight certain things, write other things in different colored ink, write things & circle them, put something special in the boxes of peoples' birthdays, etc.

When starting a new year, there's certain info I transfer over to the next year's calendar.

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 4, 2009

I use GoogleCalendar for everything (all online).