calendar

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by TamiJ, Jan 9, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 9, 2009

I did not say that!!! I was referring to the fack that they said I should get sub calls the monday after superbowl and I wondered why they thought I would get calls becuase of the superbowl on the weekend! I have read other posts from you and you sound like you are sometimes trying to pick a fight. We are adults and too old to act like that! Come on!!

2. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2009

This is ridiculous! One comment was made that teachers may be out the Monday after the Superbowl. Was this an unfair opinion? No...it was an opinion! Omg. It's amazing how quickly some posters turn into attack dogs the moment they think someone's opinion is not correct. Hello!? It's an opinion.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2009

Personally, if I were to make assumptions about a teacher's absence (not sure I ever have) I would keep those assumptions to myself in the form of a thought, and would likely feel comfortable enough to express my thoughts on this forum. I think we need to remember that this forum is supposed to be a place where we can discuss issues and things together. That does not mean that those things we discuss here are things we are going around saying to others. With that said, I don't see where it would be wrong for me to make an assumption about a teacher's absence, especially since I would not voice those thoughts to anyone except perhaps my husband and all of you. I don't see the error in that...

4. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 10, 2009

Well I am back from subbing for 3 periods of band. In the teacher's lesson plan he did say why he was out, so I told the kids why. He also says he will return tomorrow.

I will be subbing for an instructional aide specialized position tomorrow through Friday. Then the kids are off (1 week) for winter break.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2009

I am off today, again. I don't know what's wrong with me. I actually got a call at about 7 am this morning but didn't take it....

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 10, 2009

Oh Tami are you feeling okay?

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2009

:hugs: Tami. I know the feeling.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2009

Not trying to pick a fight at all...just wondering why you would assume teachers who call in sick on a Monday after Super Bowl drank too much/are lazy. Maybe they are sick or their kid is sick or they took a sick day for a personal reason that shouldn't be speculated about....Even if a teacher decides to take a 'hooky' day, it's probably because they have been working hard and just need a day...It's not lazy, sometimes it's mentally healthy to 'take a day'...And regardless of WHY a teacher calls in sick, it's a pay day for a sub, right? Why label that teacher who has in effect created a work day for you 'lazy'? As I said, I tend NOT to call in sick and when I do I'M SICK regardless of what day it is...for most of my colleagues it's the same way. It's A LOT of work to call in sick, arrange for a sub, drag yourself to the computer to email good plans to school for the sub- believe me, it's more convenient for most of us to go to work than to plan for a sub.

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 11, 2009

I was not saying that was the reason was becuase they were drinking. I was asking if that was the reason they thought I would get a lot of sub jobs on that monday! I also said if that was the reason then they were being lazy for not thinking ahead and not getting drunk!! I understand they could of gotten sick! I said that becuase the comment pacifically said " You (meaning me) should get lots of calls on monday cuz of the superbowl". I do not at all think that a teacher playing "hooky" becuase she/he needs a break is lazy! I think you guys work hard and deserve it every now and again!! I am sorry if my words got twisted up to make you think I think teachers taking days off are lazy. The only way a teacher taking a day of would be lazy in my eyes is if she was drinking. Not like the kids would know if he or she was or not but it is just unprofesional. Sorry if I upset you but I was not saying teachers are lazy! That is the last thing I think you are!! You guys are great and underpaid!! :hugs::sorry:

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

I'm feeling ok, thanks, but I just didn't want to take the call yesterday. It's weird. I know I need the money, but it is getting hard to sometimes drag myself in to a classroom knowing that I do not have my own, and who knows when I will have my own (man, that was a long sentence!). Anywho, I am getting a lot done here at home, like my TPA's, research, reading (including the novel Twilight), and man, I am really enjoying this time... lol....

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

Thanks, STG. I know you have gone through the same thing. Hey, did you ever find out about your tutoring job????

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2009

Ok, tomorrow is the only day I have scheduled for this week. No calls today. I don't think I would have wanted to go in anyway. I am working on Task 4 of my TPA's. It's the last task! Yippy skippy!

13. smalltowngal

Feb 11, 2009

I haven't heard anything about the tutoring job yet. Still waiting to hear from the VP.

14. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Feb 11, 2009

We celebrated the 100th Day of School today! I also squeezed in an activity where the kids drew a pic of themselves as the future president and said what they would do if they were president. Tomorrow we've got lots to do and a trip to the library, then Fri. is our Valentine's Day party. The regular teacher is coming back on Tue., but we're all concerned about her. I'm going to have all the homework packets for next week done and some of the photocopying so she won't have too much to do when she comes back.

A 3rd grade teacher that I had been subbing for regularly found out my last day in this K class in on Fri. and wants to book me for Tue. and Wed. of next week -- she asked me to touch base with her on Friday. It'll be nice to see her kids again. On Wednesdays the students in her class who have not had their behavior cards signed within the last week have lunch with the teacher in class, so I'll be able to do that with them. :)

15. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Feb 11, 2009

:hugs: Hope everything's okay, TJ.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2009

I have two days on my calendar for next week so far... What about you guys?

17. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 14, 2009

Same for me Tami, but that's because the other district I am subbing at is off for one week.

18. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Feb 14, 2009

Why is your district off for one week?

19. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 15, 2009

Oh because it's winter break. Though this other district still has school.

I find that very interesting!

20. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

I've got 3 days for this coming week and am hoping I'll get something on Tuesday as well- Monday all the school's have off though. 3 day weekend!

21. Riss13

Riss13 New Member

Feb 16, 2009

I'm new here. I am happy though because I have a job lined up for tomorrow.

22. smalltowngal

Feb 16, 2009

:welcome: And good luck tomorrow!

23. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Feb 16, 2009

Riss13 - Welcome! Let us know how your day goes tomorrow. :)

24. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 16, 2009

I hope it goes wonderfully!

25. Riss13

Riss13 New Member

Feb 17, 2009

Well darn it. I got to the school today and I guess the teacher had entered the sub job in wrong because she actually already had a long term sub for last week, this week and more. Anyway I do have a job for tomorrow at a different school. Tomorrow I will be in a third grade classroom.

26. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 17, 2009

I will be in a 1st grade room wed, thur and friday. I am excited since I have not worked in several weeks due to no jobs.

27. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 18, 2009

Have a blast manda!:thumb:

Next Monday I will be floating in an elementary school I floated in before.:lol:

I love this kind of assignment!

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2009

EEEK...do you get paid for the mistake? What if you had turned down another sub job for this one?

29. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 18, 2009

I have arrived at the office only to be turned away. "Oh, that teacher canceled the sub position. Didn't anyone tell you?"

No pay.

30. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2009

I know at my district, they are supposed to pay you if you get called in and it was a mistake. I got called in by the automated sub caller, accepted the job, and found out that there was a mistake. I never got paid. I didn't want to make a stink because I was in the process of getting a job.

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2009

Only 2 days this week for me. I did get a call for Friday but didn't take it. The Amgen tour will be coming through, so a lot of the roads out of here will be closed.. I'd rather just stay home...

32. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 18, 2009

TamiJ - What is the Amgen tour?

33. Riss13

Riss13 New Member

Feb 19, 2009

I don't get paid and the bummer is that I did turn down a job with another district that morning.:(

34. Riss13

Riss13 New Member

Feb 20, 2009

Working in a 5th grade classroom tomorrow.:)

35. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 20, 2009

I have a multiple day assignment next week, from Mon-Friday. I will be an Instructional Aide for an elementary school that is less than 10 minutes from me. I really love these assignments!:thumb:

I also have another assignment teaching 3rd grade on March 4th.

I feel a lot better since my assign. at this other district was canceled. They still have not told me why!:confused:

Have a good Friday everyone.:hugs:

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

no calls

I have not had 1 single call this week. So weird. I only have 1 day this week lined up. It's a good thing that my LTS assignment starts at the end of this month. My last pay check was so small.

How are all of your calendars looking?

37. smalltowngal

Mar 3, 2009

I did get a call this morning, but didn't take it for several reasons, 1)it was TAKS day today so it would be VERY stressful, and most schools DO NOT want any teacher taking today off, 2)it was kinder, and 3)I was hoping to get a call to do small group testing.

38. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

what is TAKS day, out of curiosity.

39. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

I'm keeping busy. I worked every day last week. I have every day (except Thursday) filled in for this week. I'm guessing that I'll fill that day in too.

There's a lot of sickness going around here. Although, today I subbed for a third grade teacher who was having trouble caused by her lasic eye surgery.

40. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I don't know what's going on in my district. I was getting calls everyday. I think it just sort of slowed down, and maybe I am not calling into SEMS enough. I can't wait until the end of this month when I will have steady work until the beginning of June...