calendar

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by TamiJ, Jan 9, 2009.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

I currently have 2 & 1/2 days on my calendar to sub next week. How are your schedules looking for next week?

Get this, I am teaching two days of kindergarten! OMG! I am used to big kids, so I am nervous! lol

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2009

So far, I have three days lined up and get this, TamiJ, they're all in kindergarten. I love love love kindergarten!

The great thing about the younger children is that when you don't know what you're doing, they never know! If you get totally lost, no biggie, they won't know!

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

Thanks Emmakate! I am just going to plunge right into the younger grades next week because I keep avoiding taking those assignments, but seems those are the only ones calling these days, I better start taking them are continue sitting here at home, all day, every day... eeeee.....

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 9, 2009

Here's my schedule until June:

This week - Subbed 3 days
    Next 2 wks - Will sub 3 days ea wk (at 3 diff schools)

Then, Jan 26th - June:

Mon - Sub for speech class at school A, then go to college class #1. This will be a 12 hr day! :dizzy:
    Tues - College class #2
    Wed - Sub for speech class at school B.
    Thurs - College class #2 again
    Fri - Sub for speech class at school C.

Also, I have a 3rd college class that's online.

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 9, 2009

Wow it looks like you are going to be busy Ms. I! Take care.

I am going to be subbing for 2 days for a 2nd grade class.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 9, 2009

myownwoman, yes, espeically on Mondays! Good luck to you! :)

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 9, 2009

I subbed three days this past week.
    On Tuesday, I had to take DH to a medical appointment.
    Today we went to the Air Force Base to get prescriptions filled and buy two carts of groceries. (We didn't want to put that off until Saturday because a winter storm is headed our way.)

So far, I only have one day scheduled for next week.
    I am going to "float" at an elementary school. That's always an easy day.
    I expect that I'll fill in more days though.

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 9, 2009

The only day I have is monday and its a half day from 7:30-11:30. Please pray I start getting more calls. I am not working Friday as I will be going on vacation until Monday.

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2009

mandagap06, sending positive thoughts your way!

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 9, 2009

Thanks!

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2009

I do hope things will pick up for you! I think it's just extremely slow because schools are just now getting back from break.... Best of luck to you, and have fin on your vacation!:hugs:

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2009

I'll be praying too! :)

14. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

If you have a sub service, have you called them? Have you emailed teachers? If you have an automated system, have you checked to make sure everything is set up right in the system for you? Have you checked for jobs online regularly? You have to realize that getting your foot in the door is a constant effort. You can't just get yourself all signed up and sit around and wait for calls. Not if you REALLY want to work. Steer your own ship. Get moving.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

I just started subbing... checked the job bank... and here are NO JOBS LISTED from here to the end of the school year. Then again, in my district, you can sub with a high school diploma and with the economy the way it is, we have a huge surplus of subs right now. And teachers aren't taking off b/c they are afraid they'll be released if they have too many absences.

Just gotta wait for those 5AM emergency calls - and even then, they go in alphabetical order, so I'm not likely to pick up too many jobs :(

16. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

You can make sure the teacher know who you are - if you have anything over the minimum qualifications or any special experience, you can let them know that too. You can send them emails, you can introduce yourself to the folks in the office. There are a LOT of things you can do to increase your chances. Do something. Teachers aren't afraid of taking days off. If they need them, they take them. They have earned them and they can't be released for taking time that is rightfully theirs. They have a union to back them up.

Look - if you aren't working you have to look at what you are or are not doing to help yourself along. You can't complain unless and until you have exhausted all your options. Would 't you rather feel in control of your situation?

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

Jane, I understand everything you said... but I taught in the district and believe me, you do NOT take your days unless you are in the hospital! Sort of like when I had pneumonia and my boss called me to make sure I was "actually" sick. You might have earned those days, but you better not take them... because it will show up on your evaluation.

And sure, there's a union... but they are more for show. Grievances usually take about 8 months to sort out. Plus, on an annual contract and a right to work state... the union doesn't have much to say.

The long and short? I'm not really complaining, Jane... people have my number, they have my email, they know I'll teach the lesson and grade the work or bring my own if it's an emergency... but the reality of where I work is that on average, we have 5 teachers call out a day, and the 850+ subs we have in the district aren't picking up much work.

18. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

Maybe you aren't being called because you taught in the district. I have noticed that schools are full of spite and vengeance and know how to hold a grudge. Possible?

Here, there is not a problem if a teacher needs a day... it isn't like that where my mother is either or in the five or six other areas that I have friends who are teachers.

Sometimes you have to stay in front of people too - have you emailed them lately to remind them who you are?

19. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2009

I think it's important to remember that everyone has a different technique of approaching job hunting...when it comes to finding a sub assignment or a full-time teaching position. One person's technique isn't ultimately the best because what works for one person may not work for another. Just want everyone to keep that in mind. :)

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

LOL - it's true emmakate - the dynamics of my district are very, very strange. I think that's why the teacher turnover rate is so high.

I get some calls, in the morning, usually "The sub didn't show! What are you wearing? Pajamas! Perfect! Come on down!" or "The guy who picked up the job six months ago just cussed out a kid... wanna come in for a half-day?" but right now it's a flooded market in my area. Other districts have a shortage, so it's easier for people to find sub jobs.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

Unfortunately I don't have anything lined up for next week yet. This district's on an automated system, and it seems like there are a lot of last minute calls, even if the teacher knows in advance they'll be out.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2009

Speaking of coming in pajamas, the school I subbed at yesterday had Pajama Day attire, so many of the kids AND teachers wore pajamas. I personally would never stoop that low & come to work in PJs. I don't even wear sweat clothes on weekends.

Just out of curioisty, have you been handing out your substitute business cards to the teachers you do sub for, so they can remember to request you if they need a sub again?

23. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 10, 2009

I will be praying for all of you!

I hope you get those assignments frequently and soon.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2009

I haven't made business cards yet. I need to get on vistaprint to do that. I do have something that I leave with the teachers with my picture, and I just write in my info. This worked well last year, but this year there just hasn't been as many calls. And the calls I have taken have been in the same school so they all know who I am.

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2009

If I liked the class - ie, no one pulled a knife on me - I leave a detailed account of each period, along with a thank you saying I enjoyed the class and would love to come back. I stick the business card in with the thank you.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2009

I make my cards through Publisher, you know, one of the Microsoft Office applications. Do you have that on your computer? If so, you can easily make some. They sell that business card stock paper at any office supply store.

27. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 10, 2009

We don't have a sub service. It is basically just word of mouth. I have been doing this for 3 yrs and so my name is out there. I have been busy this yr. w/ sub jobs except for now. I have heard subs are not going to be getting called due to proration. I am hoping this is not why I am not getting called. Oh, and we do not get our jobs online.

28. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 10, 2009

mandagap06 how about you try signing up for another district? Hopefully, by working with more than one district you can get more calls.

Best wishes!

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2009

Mandagap, how many school districts are you working for?

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2009

I keep calling in the sub system, but no more jobs are listed. Agh! I still only have 2 & 1/2 days for next week.

31. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Jan 10, 2009

You can't rely on them being aware of you. They get busy. To teachers we are mostly just subs unless we do something to stand out. If you aren't getting calls you need to start emailing. Just a reminder email. Remind them you are there... this is basic marketing 101... stay in front of your customer.

32. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 10, 2009

Good points JadeCrane, though in my district we are told that we cannot rely on word of mouth through teachers. Therefore, it seems the only way we can get jobs is through Smart Finder Express.

Though I might try advertising myself for some other districts.

33. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 10, 2009

we only have one district in the city I live in!

34. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 10, 2009

I also, asked a teacher and she said its nothing I or any other sub has done. It's just that they have been told becuase of proration that they are going to have to start not calling subs. Teachers have to ask before calling a sub in some schools.

35. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2009

Wow! Small city. Are there neighboring cities where you can venture to?

36. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 10, 2009

As I check online I constantly get "No jobs available at this time." This is the 19th largest district, so there are plenty of schools, but there just haven't been any openings. I only have a job for next Friday. This is terrible, my husband lost his job so we really need the money.

37. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2009

OMG, Webmistress! I am terribly sorry to hear that. I certainly hope that work picks up for you and that your husband is able to find something quickly. Do you get a lot of same-day calls from that district? I am asking because my district is pretty darn large as well, but I keep getting the same message that you're getting, but they always call on the same day, so I am not extremely worried.

38. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 11, 2009

I will be thinking of you webmistress!

39. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 11, 2009

Thanks guys, Tami I don't get any calls, I just check online using subfinder.

40. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

Oh, I see.. Well, hopefully things pick up! Good luck to you... :)

41. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

Well, I keep calling the automated system and still nothing else... I think things will pick up though..