Calendar

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jakmcgraw, Jul 23, 2008.

1. jakmcgraw

jakmcgraw Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

Hi everyone! This is my first post...I am a frequent reader, but haven't posted yet.

Anyway...I've been thinking about my calendar time. I'm going into my 3rd year of teaching K and I am SO bored with Calendar by about Christmas. So, does anyone have any new ideas or ways of doing calendar for K?? My kids get bored with the same thing every day...and so do I! We do the normal stuff...days of the week, months of the year, today/tomorrow/yesterday, how many days in school...etc.

Any new ideas or ways of doing calendar?!?! Thanks!!

3. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

This is going to be my third year too. I understand EXACTLY what you are talking about...we get the same way. This year I bought a new calendar for the beginning of the year (since my kids are so confused at the beginning of the year they get bored) at http://www.lakeshorelearning.com (it is called circle time learning). I am going to use this until about October because it deals with rhyme and letters and colors.

Last year I made a "calendar book" for the kids so they had something to fill in while I changed our class calendar. If the calendar book interests you just let me know and I will give you more details.

Hope this helps :D

4. ashleylaurenstl

ashleylaurenstl Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I add some money (piggy bank with pennies in it) as we progress into the year, students count the money, etc.

We also do a letter song/poem each day at the calendar, as we progress we do word family songs. They love to sing them. They are from a Scholastic flip-chart, I put mine on the Promethean board.

I also changed this up with the things I had been doing for a while. Like practicing counting. I always through that into calendar but as the year progresses I call on a students to select how we are going to count (1's, 5's, 10's, backwards), then I call another student to tell us how high we are going to count (we discuss what is a reasonable number...but we did count by 10's up to 1000 last year!!!!) This changes how we were doing it and they really liked it.

Sometimes towards the end of the I shorten calendar time, to add more time to something else.

5. jakmcgraw

jakmcgraw Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

NewGirl23...I'm definitely interested in the Calendar Book. What all did you put in it for the kids to do?

I looked at the Lakeshore website at that pocket chart and I really liked it...I'm thinking about ordering it or another one that I saw. Thanks for your help!! :)

6. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 23, 2008

7. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

The link to the site (above this post) is very similar to what we do. I think you will really like doing the calendar book. Because of the cost, I put my pages in a folder and simply had them put their pencils in the front pocket of the folder.

GOOD LUCK

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 23, 2008

I love calendar time and so do my kids. My secret is to add lots of music, visuals, and movement to it. I created a ppt to go with our Stephen Fite months of the year song, and another one to go with our Days of the Week song. I also made up movements to go with each ppt/song. The kids absolutely love singing, watching the ppt, and doing the movements. This engages them because it involves visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning all at once. I also do my calendar on the promethean board and it's totally interactive which also helps a great deal, they are highly motivated to use the board. Some other things we do are clap the syllables in the month name, weekday name, leader of the day's name etc.

9. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

Calendar time getting boring was DEFINITELY a problem for me so I am so glad I read this post. I went on the Calendar Math website and I am totally using the calendar binder. Thank you!

10. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

NewGirl23-I would love to know more about your calendar book!

11. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

I always add new songs, new ways to do things:

Sometimes we graph our weather and I also have cut outs of clouds, raindrops, snowflakes and the sun stapled to popscicle sticks and they place those in a library pocket depending on the weather that day.

I also let students take charge once we have been in school for a while, they get to be the teacher and lead our circle/calendar time...They love this!!

I may also do some type of movement activity during this time as well, for example if it is the 10th day of the month, we may do 10 jumping jacks or something like that.

We sometimes discuss upcoming events and their dates, and the students will write info or draw pictures to make up a flyer for that event, for example a birthday or holiday.

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

vannapk - I'd love to see those powerpoints! Are they on your website?

Does anyone do any geography with maps during calendar time? I student taught with a teacher who started with our home state and told the children a fact about each state...they added two a week and by the end of the year could recite all 50 states when she pointed to them!!! I want to do something like this...I just bought a little calendar placemat to use on my bulletin board. Does anyone have any more ideas?

13. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I don't normally do lots of geography but we do talk about our state and city.

I think I like the idea of teaching about all of the states. My son is 3 and at his preschool they learned all of the states along with a fun fact about each. He recites this stuff all the time. I might give it a try this year.

14. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Here is how my calendar book works.
    I use a plain colored folder with brads and pockets. All of their pages go in the brads/pencils in the front or back pocket. ALL of the folders go in a magazine holder and stored right underneath our calendar for easy access. Here are the pages I use.
    Page 1-blank monthly calendar(we write each date as we get to it)
    Page 2-blank boxes to write the numerical date (example 8-27)
    Page 3-Day of the week (I have 25 boxes that say Today is ______.)
    Page 4-How many days have we been in school (2 blank 100 graphs)
    Page 5-Weather
    Page 6-Pattern
    Page 7-Birthday Graph (bar graph with each month-we shade in a box for each child's birthday)
    Page 8-Tooth graph
    Other pages I add as we get to them are money, time, odd/even, add the date (3-15 / 3 + 15 = 18), or anything else we cover during math time. This is a GREAT review.

I hope this is helpful (and not too long LoL)!

15. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Thanks NewGirl, I'm going to try to something like this with my little ones!