Calendar

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 2, 2008

Do you do calendar in second grade - and what types of activities do you do? I'm sure there are many standards you could fit in - I'm just wondering how I will need to change next year when I move to second grade.

3. Ms.E

Ms.E Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

Well, in my county, we have specials ten minutes after the day officially starts. After specials, and bathroom break, we come in and do a 5 minute warm up with calendar. Mostly it is Today is, Yesterday was, Tomorrow will be... if there is any holidays or any events happening, work on place value with the number of days in school... we review the days of the week, and months of the year. In my class, we also go over 2 weeks from now, 2 days ago... next week, last week. It really depends on what you want to do with it, but we do not spend as much time with it then the previous years. Hopefully by this grade they have figured it out :) (Hopefully is the key word there! :) )

4. annafish

annafish Companion

Mar 3, 2008

I don't do much with calendar. We have a morning meeting where we read a message, do days of school with straws and penny a day, weather graph

5. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Mar 3, 2008

In one second grade room where I subbed, they had the calendar meeting just like in the younger grades but the kids were given roles to lead the routine. I remember these topics: someone read the lunch choices for the day; even/odd numbers (for the days of school); for the day of school number, they wrote on white boards (when they were done with their morning work) different mathematical sentences to end up with that day's number (if today is the 2nd day of school they would write as much as they can to get the answer of 2 [2+0, 4-2, etc]), and they were allowed to use calculators. Then the leader of the day asked for 5 different solutions to be shared; weather in Spanish; days of the week; the schedule of the day. Ummm...that's all I can remember from the one day I was in there! The kids enjoyed being in charge and it gave the teacher time to get things sorted out for the day.

6. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

I try and change it up freqently. Otherwise, the kids (and I) get bored and dread it.

I do a lot with mental math for the number of the day (Today is day 119...can you give me a number sentence for 119?). I do time....money......making change....

Last week, I added a line graph and we're tracking the temperature (and finding the temp on a demo thermometer).

I definately try to use it to my advantage. They know patterns and days of the week by now, so I try to hit key or difficult skills.

7. Mrs. Chick

Mrs. Chick Rookie

Mar 9, 2008

There was a great thread about this last fall...
    I do a daily math journal based on the calendar each day. They have to:
    write the date "Sunday, March 9, 2008
    Write the date for yesterday, today, & tomorrow 3-9-08
    Then they write the number of the day (how many days in school) then using the number of the day they write odd/even if it is a multiple of 2,3,4,5, or 10
    Show the number of the day in tally marks, money, base 10 blocks & write 5 number sentences that equal that number.
    THen they write the start and end time for that day's special and draw it on clocks.
    THen they write a sentence about the day. I'm thinking of changing it to using a word of the day to write a sentence.

It was simpler at the beginning of the year and has evolved as they've learned new skills.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

These are all great ideas! As a sub, I'm always amazed at the various ways teachers utilize calendar time. It's something you can really do alot with.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 9, 2008

How much time does this take up? My math time is 60 minutes. By the time I do facts, 1 fact sheet, lesson, master lesson sheet, guided sheet, and go over homework I am almost always over my 60 minutes. If your calendar time is about 10 minutes to 15 minutes long I would love to see you do it so I could learn how to fit it all in !

10. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 9, 2008

I incorporated money onto my calendar time. Starting on the first day of school, we talk about the coin values and how much money in pennies would you be in school for, how much money in nickels, how much in dimes and how much in quarters?

I reinforce the coin values everyday so that when we do get to the money unit I do not have to review it anymore and move onto difficult money topics like making change.

Here is the example of my money chart:

Day 1
    Penny 1 cent
    Nickel 5 cents
    Dime 10 cents
    Quarter 25 cents

Day 2
    Pennies 2 cents
    Nickels 10 cents
    Dimes 20 cents
    Quarters 50 cents

Day 3
    Pennies 3 cents
    Nickels 15 cents
    Dimes 30 cents
    Quarter 75 cents

I also drill how many coins do you need to make a dollar. We also add up the money at the end of the week. In fact, one of my top students notices that we add 41 cents every day. It is a lot of fun and really works.

11. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Mar 9, 2008

Like Mrs. Chick, I remember the thread from last fall and I'm using ideas from that same post. I have a sheet on the overhead, and the kids do it in their math journals, on which we write the full date, how many days we've been in school, then they have to show that number on a place value mat. Also, they come up with at least 3 equations to equal the number, and show money that equals the amount. It's how we start math most days; I give them about 4-5 minutes to write in their journals, then we spend another 5 going over it and I post their ideas on the overhead.

I've been very pleased with how it's improved the kids' number sense ... by this point in the year some of them are coming up with complicated (for 2nd graders, anyway!) algebraic equations, like (10x10) + 19, and even (100 X 11) - 986 or whatever. I like this much better than the oral version I did in 1st and in past years for 2nd graders, because it engages all the kids and at their level ... I have some who still do 100 +19, or 119+0, and even 119 pennies to equal the amount, and that's fine. I found that doing it orally and whole group meant that the same 10 kids contributed every day and the others tuned out. So I thank the poster who gave me the idea last fall, and I heartily recommend it!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 9, 2008

I use the Calendar Math set and adapt it because I don't have time (and kids don't have enough patience) for the whole deal. This is for 3rd. Each month has a different pattern set for the date cards. We predict the pattern shape, add it to the calendar, look for patterns. The theme one month was fractions, one month we added ounces, plane and solid geometric shapes - we really covered a lot with these.

Then we count the days of the year by moving to the next day on a hundreds pocket chart, decide if it's odd or even, show how we can divide it in half and if there is a remainder, sometimes give number sentences. Next, we sing a song, Today is Monday........ Then we find the time on the clock and record the number of minutes past the previous hour, and number of minutes until the following hour. Last, we read my message to the class and any responses they added.

We do this after saying the pledge, singing the anthem, and singing the state capitals (or presidents). I usually read aloud from something for 6 minutes after calendar. I just finished reading fun info from So You Want to be President? I find this a very productive time of the day.