Calendar

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by krisaustin, Aug 19, 2007.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Aug 19, 2007

I teach elementary special ed, but have students this year that are developmentally preschool age. I was wondering what kind of things you include in your calendar time.

What I have used in the past is to high.

Thanks so much in advance.

3. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

We count the days on the calendar, to see what number we would put next. We also sing a days of the week song, talk about the weather and dress our weather frog. This is also when we talk a bit about social competency, in our school we do open circle with the children. I also have my show and tell person do their thing as well. It works well and doesn't take more than 10-15 minutes max.

I hope this helps.

4. CeeCee

CeeCee Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

We count the numbers to see what comes next. The helper gets to put it on the calendar - showing that they know where to put it. In the beginning of the month my kids like to count backwards too. Sometimes we talk about the number, like "hey my sister is 7 years old!" I think I'm goint to have them count out objects that relate to our theme for the smaller numbers. Also, for the bigger two digit numbers you can ask if anyone knows what that looks like. Sometimes I scrable my number cards on the floor and claim that they got "all mixed up" and have the helper find the correct number.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 19, 2007

What we do:

*Talk about the month... what is it, spell it, what is the first letter and what sound does it make, etc (different questions depending)
    *figure out what number we need to put up and what shape/color it is (pattern)... jump, clap, toe-touch, etc. that number to reinforce quantity.
    *days of the week song, yesterday/today/tomorrow (again talking also about the letters in those words)
    *weather... we graph it each month, so we talk about what the weather is today, then which one has the most/least, predict "Will we have any snow in August?" etc
    *counter... one kid counts how many people are on the carpet, then writes that number on the dry erase board. Then they sign their name to it, so we talk about the letters in their name, how many letters, etc. When we count how many letters, we have them show on their fingers "how many is 7?" and talk about there's different ways to do that.
    *Monday assign new jobs
    *pledge