Calendar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Jul 14, 2006.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 14, 2006

What kind of calendar do you have? I am trying to decide if I want the pocket chart, the wipe off, or the regular kind where you put up new cards and header for each month. I want something that will be easy to change and also look nice. Thank you!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

I have a pocket chart. I love it. I have die cuts in different thematic shapes for each month (apples and school buses for Sept, leaves and pumpkins for Oct....) I pre-numbered them to create different patterns each month (apple bus apple bus for Sept, red leaf, yellow leaf, pumpkin for Oct).

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 14, 2006

Czacza,
    I like the idea of having different patterns each month. Thank you for sharing!

5. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

I have a pocket chart too. Mine came with an old math series. It has all the numbers on white cards. There are plastic cards too like overhead transparencies only small enough to fit in the pockets. The plastic cards have different shapes and colors on them so I can make a pattern. There are 3 colors: red, yellow, blue and 4 shapes: circle, square, triangle, diamond. When you put the plastic card in the pocket you can see the number through the color because it is transparent. I like it except I wish I had more colors. Tried blending them but the new colors are dull.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

Couldn't you cut up clear folders?

7. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Jul 15, 2006

Where do you find clear folders?

8. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I have the $80 pocket chart one with the estimation jar, ? of the day and pattern pictures. LOVE IT. I have to add my own weather chart, but that is ok.

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

Staples has them...only $.20 each if you get them today. They probably go off sale tomorrow.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

Anywhere folders are sold. You know, those clear plastic folders - some are sealed off at the bottom, some have pockets, some are made to put in binders.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

I just bought the pocket chart for next year. I was tired of having the students lose all my calendar numbers. They get expensive to replace when you buy new ones for each month. Anyway, I'm pretty excited about using the pocket chart this year.

12. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

I have a pocket calendar and absolutely love it. I don't do a pattern with the actual calendar, but I do one above the calendar on the bulletin board.

13. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I like using a regular classroom calendar and then using different things as counters for each month. For example, I have used real coins to study money..just use sticky tack to attach them to a laminated calendar. For the 11th, we would use a dime and a penny. I always focus on using the least amount of coins possible (rather than 10 pennies, we would use 1 dime). The chosen calendar student of the week would write the actual date.

I have also used various geometric shape cut outs. For the 8th of the month, the student would select an octagon. For the 3rd of the month, the student would select a triangle etc.

You could also use hundreds counters.

For measurment, I've used a metre of string. Students guess how many days the metre of string will cover and how many metres of string it will take to cover all of the days of the month.

I'm sure the list is endless. I just choose things that are small enough to fit in each box and can easily be attached with sticky tack.

14. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

I think that I am going to get the pocket chart type. I have the $1.00 month headers that are really cute to go with it.

15. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I teach 2nd and I have a magnetic calendar from Lakeshore. It has worked good for me for the last 4 years. It has weather and season in addition to the regular calendar stuff.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

I love the Susan Winget stuff and I got the calendar set today.

17. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2006

Oriental trading has an adorable calander in its "Hands On Fun" catalog for classroom items and it seems to be a good investment. I am tempted to purcashase it, even without having a classroom yet, but I'm unsure if I should buy it because it is a pocket chart type with colorful numbers for each day of the month. After reading the previous posts, I am unsure now if I should make days of the month with incorporating patterns and just have a regular calander. What do you all think?? Is using a patterend calander more insightful than using cutesy numbered cards??

18. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

warmfuzzies - AWESOME ideas with the money, shapes, string, etc. How long have you been teaching 1st grade?

19. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

This September will be my first year...I used the calendar activities I described with my Grade 2's but I am sure they can be adapted for all primary levels :)

20. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 19, 2006

I prefer to do my pattern separate from the calendar because I want the kids to focus on the calendar - not the pictures/pattern.
    I have a pattern strip on the board and change the pattern weekly or biweekly.

21. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Go to kinderprintables.com
    Here you can find different printables for the calendar for each month. If you have a colored computer you can just print them out, laminate and cut apart.

-Crystal

22. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2006

I use these with my pocket chart calendar. Print on cardstock and laminate so they're more durable.

23. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I've found if you print things on photo paper, you don't need to laminate. Saves time and the need to relaminate when the corner start to split open!

24. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I have a regular calendar that I cut a slit on each day and put a paper clip through to hold the numbers. I also ran a strip of book tape along the back to hold the clips in place. I also made calendar days for each month, printed them on card stock, and laminated them. They have lasted for four years and I will use them again this year. My calendar has also lasted as long and is still looking great.

25. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

That is a great idea! I would have never thought of that. Does it get expensive? Can you copy on photo paper too?

26. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I buy 8.5x11 photo paper from the dollar store (10 sheets per pack). I'm sure you could run it through the photocopier, although I have never tried...maybe through the side panel instead of the bottom paper feeder. Since you can photocopy onto overheads, I'm sure you can copy onto photo paper.

I like the fact that you can print colour onto the photo paper for things like classroom labels, tags, card games etc.. I spent over 2 hrs one night photocopying, glueing, cutting, laminating and cutting out again, dominoes and memory cards for two of the math centres I have and they are all splitting. I'm going to re-print them all on photo paper and then all I have to do is cut them out and they last!

Good luck!

27. tmdembry

tmdembry New Member

Jul 23, 2006

Where did you find your pocket chart?
    Tumeka

28. tmdembry

tmdembry New Member

Jul 23, 2006

Calendar set

Where did you find the $80.00 calendar set that contains the patterns, estimation jar, ect. ?
    TM

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2006

Or if you have an 'Ellison' die cut machine they are great too for calendar pieces (and name tags, and bulletin boards, and holiday themes,.....)

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

I covet an Ellison die cut machine .....

31. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

I just have a regular calendar, but I put velcro dots on the back of the numbers and then on each calendar square. The calendar helper just sticks the date on. It has worked well for me.

32. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 23, 2006

I am pretty sure it was in Lakeshore. We use that catalog all the time to order from (our school alots us money every year, and sometimes more than once to order stuff). I LOVE the calendar!

33. cingy

cingy Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

Calendar for Smartboard

Hi,

I teach a 3/4 multi-age class and have a Smartboard on which I would like to do my calendar "stuff" Does anyone have a website or a document that can be used on a Smartboard for calendar?

thanks

Karen