Calendar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Feb 1, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2014

I'm taking over a kindergarten classroom beginning Wednesday. (I will observe Monday and coteach/transition on Tuesday.)

The teacher is leaving a lot of things behind, but they are not in the best condition. The calendar area is one of my biggest concerns since I've never taught kindergarten, and it has been 8 years since I student taught 1st grade.

So- what are my 'must haves'? I have seasonal calendar numbers somewhere, but most of them are not double sided. Are patterns on the calendar important? What types of things do you do? (I know people do every other day a different color, weekends a different color, etc... Not sure the best method here.)

Also, besides the calendar activities and the weather, what else do you incorporate into calendar time or morning meeting time??

I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, so any help is appreciated!!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2014

What math curriculum will you be using? When I used Saxon that calendar time was included. I also graphed the weather, talked about the seasons, including what's appropriate to wear.

I did yesterday was, today is, tomorrow will be. I used die-cut shapes & would have the student of the day write the number on the shape. Yes, I would do patterns and have the students tell me what shape or color should we use and what will be next.

I also used the time to review math concepts such as time, addition/subtraction, shapes etc.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2014

I have a today is, yesterday was, tomorrow will be set that I used in 2nd last year.
    I have a Cricut, so I'm now leaning towards creating my own numbers....

I don't know the math curriculum/program. That is the only aspect that wasn't discussed. We talked more about reading and writing. I'm hoping it is not Everyday Math. I hate Everyday Math.

I didn't come prepared to haul a bunch of stuff home :) I should probably get out my biggest Thirty-One bag for Monday...

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2014

Daily count with straws for number of school days.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 1, 2014

We use Saxon, so my calendar time is included in the math program. We got interactive whiteboards this year, so I've moved over to doing calendar time electronically. The kids love it. Calendar includes patterning still (the date tags), writing the new date, singing songs about the days and months, counting coins, finishing patterns, counting tally marks, etc. We also graph the weather and count even and odd numbers. You can really incorporate anything into it that the kids need more practice on. We have been counting dimes and pennies, so we do that every day as part of calendar time on the interactive whiteboard.

If you have access to the technology, Lakeshore actually makes a calendar interactive whiteboard software. I have the 1-2 grade one and I really like it, though I do supplement it with my own calendar. There is a PreK-K one as well.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2014

I have a projector, but no interactive white board :( I miss having one! (My LTS school didn't have them either)

I will say that I'm pleased that I have a projector. When I interviewed with the school in June 2012, I asked about technology and they told me that they head "overhead projectors"!!! The projectors were new this year and they are now working on document cameras.

8. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Feb 1, 2014

We use envision for math curriculum but Every day Math for calendar. I actually enjoy Every day Math, but I don't use everything it suggests I use for every month. Several concepts are covered through out the month.

9. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Feb 2, 2014

Congrats on the job!! I got my calendar things at The Dollar Tree. I don't know if they'll have them at this time of year, but it was much cheaper than school supply stores and not too bad!!(I don,t do much with it-but I like to have it displayed.) I used different colors for even/odd. I miss doing a lot with it-so much to integrate!!

10. comaba

comaba Cohort

Feb 2, 2014

If there's a laminator available in your school or district, you can make an inexpensive calendar with a poster board and Aleene's Tack It Over & Over. Just draw the grid squares for the days and label the top with days of the week. Type and print out labels for the months, numbers 1-31, and anything else you want. Laminate all. Put a dot of the glue on each square. When it dries, the other laminated pieces (numbers) can be put on/removed as needed.

It's not the prettiest thing you'll ever see, but it gets the job done!