Calendar

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MissTeach22, Jul 7, 2011.

1. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 7, 2011

Hello :) I would like to do my calendar (which is required) as a portion of my math instruction. However, math is typically in the afternoon - is it or would it be weird to do the calendar routine in the afternoon?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

No, when I have done calendar, sometimes it is in the morning, sometimes after lunch. Since a lot of it is math, it makes sense to have it at a relevant time of day.

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 7, 2011

Absolutely not! In my student teaching, I worked in a classroom that had two different groups of kids so we would do calendar lessons twice a day. Once in the morning (right before lunch) and then once in the afternoon.

So yeah, I don't think it's weird at all! I plan on doing my calendar time whenever I schedule my math lessons, be it morning or afternoon.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

I see no reason why you couldn't do it in the afternoon, however, have you considered moving your math to the morning? We made that switch a few years back and I've been thrilled with the change.

6. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 7, 2011

Thanks everyone for your input!

Yes, I have thought of moving math to the morning but it won't work because our specials classes are scheduled in the mornings and that is when we are required to teach reading/writing. I would love to move it up though before lunch if I could!

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

I have subbed for alot of teachers who do it in the afternoon.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2011

I think that there is no problem to do calendar in the afternoon. You could just change the date in the morning or write it on the board for the kids.

9. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011

This past year, I started off doing my calendar in the morning and it was great! Then they asked me to switch my schedule and I did. Math and Calendar in the afternoon. My calendar suffered. It was suck on February til the end of the year. Between recess, snack, and computer it always got missed.

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2011

I also do calendar during math. It takes the first 5 minutes and I find it very beneficial!

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 11, 2011

I do my calendar center in the morning as part of our Saxon curriculum and what they call "Math Morning Meeting". We do calendar, weather, patterns, hundreds chart, and then add in money coin cup later in the year as I introduce it. We do math later in the day, but the kids loved the morning meeting. It then helped when we did math lesson since Saxon asks them to write the date on their paper each day and since we had done it already as a class, they could look on our Math board for it if they couldn't remember.