Calendar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jun 10, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 10, 2011

What does your calendar set up look like/consist of?

I have a basic calendar and I have a tens/ones pocket chart but I would love something else to go with my calendar but I am not sure what.

How do you track your days in school?

What else do you do with your calendar?

Questions, questions, and more questions but I still don't know what I'm asking. :lol:
    Just tell me any and everything about your calendar, calendar routine, and setup.

3. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 10, 2011

This is a good resource if you haven't seen it already. http://www.jmeacham.com/calendar/calendar.htm

I have a calendar and place value chart. We count to 100 by 1s, 2s, 5s, and 10s. I also go over their morning journal at this time where we practice writing sentences and go over math skills review. If we have extra time I'll throw in a song, story, or LA sort.

For days of school I have a caterpillar that grows one body part every day. It's a pain to put up and take down but the kids really love it and it becomes a resource that they are comfortable with using.

I also use my calendar for missing number activities. I'll take out a number and they will have to tell me what number is missing.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 10, 2011

Where did you get the caterpillar? I would like to somehow do my days in school where the students are writing it using hundreds, tens and ones place but I can't seem to figure out how.

5. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 10, 2011

I got it from a local school supply store a few years ago. Here's a link to it on line. http://www.american-classroom-supply.com/tf-0439824222.html

6. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 10, 2011

7. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Jun 11, 2011

We have an Everyday Calendar Math kit but honestly, you're better off doing it yourself.

To keep track of the days of school we use a roll of adding tape and the students write each day down. We alternate colors and make patterns throughout the year. We also use a blank hundreds chart to write the days of school.

We have something called the coin counter and I tack up little clear pouches (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and dollars). We add one cent each day. Then when you get to a certain amount of days you can swap 5 pennies for a nickel and so on and so forth.

I use a tiny yellow pocket chart that has ones, tens, and hundreds. We use stir sticks to keep track of the days of school and the students know that when we make a ten, we rubber band them together and move them to the 10s place.

I also change things up during certain months. I'll laminate a thermometer and I'll have students guess the temperature and then I'll check the real temperature and we draw it on the thermometer.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 11, 2011

Good ideas! I guess I pretty much do what has been mentioned here. It just got so old and boring by the end of the year.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 11, 2011

I use these two things in my 2nd and 3rd grade multiage class:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]