Calendar on Smartboard

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jillybean, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

I am wanting to set up my smartboard to do the morning meeting or calendar. I am looking for ideas to put on the slides. What should be on it? I have 1, 2, and 3 and I want it to work for all ages. :help:

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Feb 5, 2009

What do you mean you have 1, 2, and 3? The first 3 slides?! I'm very interested to see the responses to this thread. It never occurred to me to do my calendar in this format! Interesting...what grade do you teach?

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 5, 2009

I teach HS so I don't know what morning meetings are ...
    But, I put my class agenda and bell work into slides and have the right one pulled up at the beginning of each class (I have 3 different classes across 7 periods) and my students know to look as they enter class. This keeps me from writing/erasing on the board between classes.

Is this remotely close to what you are talking about?

5. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Feb 6, 2009

I didn't have a smart board but I did have a Promethean board. I've had zero experience with Smart Boards but I assume they are similar. I no longer have my interactive board (had to change rooms) but I still have my flipchart saved from when I did. I'll briefly tell you what I included.

My first page was my daily count. It was basically a box divided into four squares labeled "present", "absent", "hot lunch", and "cold lunch". Then at the bottom I had some addition problems to check to make sure we counted correctly.

The second page was the calendar. I made my own calendar and had numbers 1-31 on the bottom and the student of the day (who runs my calendar) would just pull the correct date up into position. The only time this was a hassle was at the end of the month when I had to pull them all down to start a new month.

My next page was the "days in school" page where we kept track of the number of days we'd been in school. I made a rectangle divided into three boxes for hundreds, tens, and ones. I had ones, tens, and hundreds block pictures for students to pull up into the boxes to count the days. At the bottom I had a sentence that said "We have been in school _____ days." The students would just erase the number from the previous day and write the new number of days in.

My next three pages were for weather. The first was a calendar for the student of the day to drag a picture for sunny, cloudy, windy, rainy, etc. into each day. The next was a graph to graph the amount of each type of day for each month. The last was a thermometer. My student of the day would use a link on the chart to go to weather bug, get the temperature, and put it on the thermometer. The thermometer was a movable one in Prometheans picture section.

My last page was a clock (also a moveable one from Promethean) where my student of the day set whatever time they wanted and the other students would have to tell what time it said. Later in the year, the SOD also had to give a clue like "It is dark at this time" and in addition to telling the time, the students would have to tell AM and PM also.

Wow that was alot of info. I hope it was what you were looking for and I hope it helps somewhat.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2009

Jillybean, I'm also interested in setting up something like this with my new smartboard. I have a large age span, as well, in my classroom and I would like my older 5th graders to be able to work the activities with my younger K,1, and 2's.

7. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 7, 2009

I'm starting to get jealous of smartboard teachers.... though I love that I can teach amazing lessons on barebone supplies and a school that is falling apart..... oh how I love gadgets and oh how I love to put my computer skills to good use.

Perhaps there is a grant I can investigate to earn one?

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 7, 2009

773 Miles Away ... May I suggest investigating Mimio? It turns your whiteboard into an interactive board (like SmartBoard) without losing space AND doesn't cost nearly as much.

We had these in the HS until our students got laptops, now we have software on our laptops that does the same thing so our Mimios went to our elementary school.

http://www.mimio.com/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  9. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Feb 7, 2009

ku alum - I'm digging the mimio! I don't have a smart board in my room and definitely need to save as much space as possible! This seems great! I might PM you with questions later!!! Thanks for sharing!:)

10. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Feb 7, 2009

jillybean - by 1, 2, 3 do you mean 1st-3rd graders. I teach a 1st/2nd combo & do my calendar on my smartboard. If you PM me you email I can send you my calendar files.

Each month I include 5-6 slides & change it up because I find it gets a little boring if we do the exact same ones each month. I keep some basic calendar slides the same, but then change out other slides that tie in more specifically to the math concepts we are working on that month. Some of the slides we do are:

- yesterday/today/tomorrow
    - today is __________ (days of the week/date)
    - # days in school (regrouping ones/tens/hundreds)
    - weather graph
    - tally marks (correlates to date)
    - odd or even (correlates to date)
    - more/less than
    - greater/less than
    - counting coins
    - time
    - one more/less, ten more/less
    - counting by 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s
    - fact families
    - etc.

11. Sunniee22

Sunniee22 New Member

Jun 18, 2009

4alicat,

I am a 2nd year K teacher and I'm getting a smartboard this year. I really want to do calendar on my smartboard and I already made up a file but I'm always looking for new ideas and resources. Would you be willing to send me your calendar file? It sounds really great!

12. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 18, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to share how you did it! It sounds like a great formatt. We just got Prometheans at our school this year, so this will really help...I plan to share your ideas with our staff right away, so we can be working on it over the summer.
    Sorry to hear that you lost your board, though! That will be rough after being used to using one and after having put in all the work of creating lessons for it! :( Sure hope you get another one VERY soon! Thanks, again, for sharing!! :)

13. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 18, 2009

I have a Promethean Activboard and I do my calendar/morning meeting activities on it exclusively. You can read more detail about it on my interactive whiteboard page. Basically the first page is the calendar, second page is the number line, third page is days of the week, fourth page is months of the year- I have songs for each page embedded on the page. Then we move into morning message which we also do directly on the board and then print out 2 copies, one to put into a class book and another to do activities with. If you have the activ software you can download a sample of one of our calendars from my IWB page.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 18, 2009

I have done morning messages on the smartboard but not the calendar portion. I love morning messages on the smart board and I'll tell you why...

I provided a hook slide each day to get them to center to the front of the room. Prior to doing this the students were touching things, taking forever, wandering all over the room, etc. The hook slide gets them to WANT to be there.

Examples:
    Messages that scroll up like credits that tell them what to do (like a simon says follow the leader type game). This is just to get them there and when everyone is done with their job and we are all up front, we start the regular message.

I did a lot of graphs, using the student's names to tell them what to do, told them what exercises to do, etc. I had animated stuff up there. They wanted to know what the animation was for so they would go up to the board and read it. I really had a lot of fun with this but it could be time consuming sometimes.

15. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jun 18, 2009

I use a Promethean flipchart each morning to display the day's assignments for my 5th graders. Their first duty of the day after their papers are handed in is to fill out their planners. It has worked well for that. Now, with all the great ideas you all have shared, I can see how I can expand on that...thank you! :)

16. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 18, 2009

We did have Promethean ACTIVboards, but they were recently taken down (collecting dust in the back of my room) and we were given pull-down screens, and wireless pads. They have the same capabilities as any smartboard etc, but they allow me to move about the room and not be tied to the front. I thought I would miss my ACTIVboard, but I love my Interwrite Pad and the Easiteach software that we have. Every lesson is down using this technology. I rarely have to write on my whiteboard anymore.

17. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 18, 2009

The great thing about Promethean software is that I can take all of the flips charts that I created and export them into PowerPoints. From there I can then put them on the new software.

18. ebt

ebt New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Hi 4alicat, Can I get a copy of your calendar file? I'd really appreciate it! I do something similar and would love to compare. THANKS!

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 8, 2009

www.starfall.com has a calendar on it. We use that. It is fun. The kids are engrossed. Then we go to the classroom calendar and apply the skills.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 8, 2009

Donorschoose.com

21. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Oct 8, 2009

I go to www.starfall.com. There is a calendar activity on the first page. My 1st graders LOVE it! Check it out.

22. chris2d12

chris2d12 New Member

May 25, 2010

Need Information

I am new to this site and was reading about creating calendar slides for the smartboard. Would you please send me your calendar slides?

23. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

May 25, 2010

I will have to look for it! Send me your email.