Calendar math...

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by springmac, Jun 29, 2012.

1. springmac

springmac Companion

Jun 29, 2012

So...I'm new to fourth this year(taught fifth last year), and I'm considering calendar math. In teaching fifth last year, I noticed most of my students came to fifth without having mastery of fourth grade standards (long story, but math was a HUGE issue with fourth grade teachers at my school. Most of them were moved). I think calendar math would be a good way for them to reinforce those skills on a daily basis. Do any of you currently do calendar math? How much time does it take each day? I've been checking out the calendar math resources on "teaching in room 6". I thought calendar math was more for younger kids, but she has great ideas for older kids. Your thoughts?

3. MsG

MsG Companion

Jun 29, 2012

I haven't used calendar math, but would be interested in what you find out!

4. springmac

springmac Companion

Jun 29, 2012

If you type "teaching in room 6" into a search engine, it pulls up a great site. I never thought much about it until I looked over her info...good stuff!

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2012

I was trained in and used Everyday Counts which was a great calendar program.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 29, 2012

Good for you for not abandoning calendar math as too babyish. I know what you mean about some kids not getting certain concepts that you'd think they'd have been exposed to a million times.

springmac, thanks for the link!

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

Wow, I love that Room 6 blog! I'm thinking I can take my Mountain Math (which was not really as big a hit as I hoped) and convert it into Calendar Math.

My question was how to keep all 24 kids paying attention through the math review, but did you see the video the teacher made showing her hand gestures the kids all do while responding? Brilliant!