Calendar Display?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rebecca1122, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 4, 2013

I plan on doing my calendar/weather time on my Smartboard each day with my first graders. Should I also have a traditional calendar display in my room? I have limited bulletin board space and wasn't planning on putting up a calendar in favor of using the smartboard but I am wondering if I should still have one up as a visual resource during the day. What do you do?

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 4, 2013

I struggled with this idea last year before deciding not to put one up. I moved to a new classroom and just didn't have the space on the walls to use for a calendar, as I needed the room for other instructional materials. My students are grades 4-5, so they had their own personal calendars in multiple places (agenda, behavior calendar, etc.) if they needed it. I ended up not worrying with it.

In the end, I thought about how I would use the calendar throughout the year. Would I use it in teaching and have to scramble to pull one up at the spur of the moment? Would it simply be a decoration on the wall that I had to change out each month? I would suggest thinking about how your students would use it. Is it something you'd want your students to see more often than when it's on the smartboard?

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2013

Maybe if you don't have a traditional calendar you just have somewhere to post the date? My kiddos will look to my calendar when they want to date their paper and it's a lot easier than hearing 400 times a day, "what's todayyyyy???"

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2013

This is a good suggestion. I actually had the same problem this past year since my calendar kept falling off the wall. I got so frustrated with it that I ended up just pulling it out during calendar time. My kids would always ask for the date because many times I would forget to update the date on my board :wub:. So I guess have a place for the date and remember to change it each day!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 4, 2013

You may want to check with your admins too. For us, we have to have a calendar posted and it infuriates me because I was one of those people just putting the date on it to catch up-it took up space and we never referred to it--all of our calendar activities were on the Smartboard. It's one of the things they check on walkthroughs-is your calendar up to date? :rolleyes:

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 4, 2013

Kindercowgirl, how is that changing with new TEKS? There are no calendar objectives for kinder or first. We actually took all of our calendar stuff down!

I wanted to suggest a regular wall calendar to hang up somewhere. It is easy to have a student x off days and jot down anything important coming up and they don't take up a lot of space.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2013

I made it a student job- otherwise I would never remember either.

9. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2013

I do have both. Teaching stores sell calendars that are the size of a poster board. You could put it on the front of your desk, a closet door or another small space-saving spot.

This is mine. I added ribbon to make it a bit fancier, but it's just a poster board calendar. You could easily make it even smaller by using a smaller board and drawing the lines yourself.
    [​IMG]

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 5, 2013

Hmmm. I guess because I just go by our district curriculum I didn't realize they didn't consider it for our grades anymore. We still have them in our scope and sequence. :huh: I wish I had known that-it might have made my argument stronger! :)

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 5, 2013

I do my calendar routine on the smartboard, but I do have a small pocket chart calendar on display. Many 2nd-graders still struggle with knowing which day is today, tomorrow, etc., so I like having the visual up to refer to.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 5, 2013

I do my calendar routine on my SmartBoard as well. I also write the day and date on the dry-erase board each day. Finally, I have a small (normal sized?) wall calendar (New Orleans Saints, what else? :) ) that I hang behind my teacher table. Oh, and for my reference (former office manager here), I have a large desk calendar on my teacher table.