Calendar Binders or Folders

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by TeachnRox, Jul 6, 2008.

1. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 6, 2008

I am trying to come up with a way to make calendar time more interactive, I have done the student leader, but the remainder of the class doesn't seem so excited! :whistle: I do use Every Day Counts along with other things incorporated into the program. I have looked at Jmeacham's site and she has calendar binders: http://www.jmeacham.com/calendar/calendar.htm

Do any of you do this for your first graders? If so, do you start them on day one, or do you start later? What sort of things to do you keep in them? Do you think it is beneficial?

Any thoughts?? :)

3. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I tried this last year in January to spice up calendar time with my kindergartners and they enjoyed it but it took a lot more time. The rest of the months got away from me. :rolleyes: It was rather difficult as some struggled and some flew right through. First grade may be quicker but I think it's a good thing to do every few months to keep them from getting bored and keeping them involved. I plan to do it at least one month next year. A first grade teacher at my school does it from January through the end of the year and loves it!

4. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I did it with my first graders for about 2 months. Some of my kids loved doing it. Some of them hated it and I had to really supervise them. I had to do a lot of prep work to get the folders ready. After a few days, kids started losing their numbers or sticker cards. I even had a few kids lie to me so they could get their name written down for having lost a tooth over the weekend. I alos had 3 special ed kids who needed a lot of help and my helper was never there when we were working on it. If she was there she would complain about it. It drove me nuts. I may try it again though. I think it could be very helpful for the kids. They really like having a routine. When you miss a day it freaks them out.

5. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I too have seen JMeacham's calendar binders and notebooks. I wanted to do them last year, but had a plate full and decided not to try to add something else new. (we had new writing and reading programs)
    This year I am going to go for it (with my first graders). I plan on starting in Sept. and introduce it as I introduce everything else. We will do the binders AFTER we do calendar time as a class. That way they all (should) know the info. they need. We have some strange gaps of time in our schedule this year - I plan on using one of those.
    I will include:
    weather graph
    calendar
    tooth chart
    birthday graph
    day of school count

not sure what if anything else.

The reason I plan to do this is not everyone participates during calendar and I feel these are important skills to be working on.

6. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 7, 2008

calendar binder

I hear you! Your list looks like what I was going to try. I think I am going to start small. I also thought a copy of some of our songs would be good to put in there as well, to build fluency and help with reading. I have a song for every month. Whatcha think?

7. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I too teach first grade and use Every Day Counts. If you click on Calendar Folders on that website, and look at the 5th thumbnail picture, that is what I used for calendar this year. I made 10 back-to-back copies, stapled them into a sheet of long laminated construction paper, and used it all year. The paper held up and I didn't have to restaple ANY (woooo hooo small victory !!) papers, but I do have some issues with this.

I didn't feel it was all that valuable to the students. What I might do this year instead is do the calendar daily without a written element. At the end of the month, I will give them a calendar reflection page. They will have to answer a few questions, like what the letters of the pattern on the calendar were, create their own pattern with those letters, and a few other questions that go with that months skills from Every Day Counts. I think this will make the day-to-day easier. I found that some students just simply didn't do their best on the calendar folder because it was the same thing all the time. Hope this helps!

8. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Starting small is ALWAYS a good idea! The song sounds like a good idea. My students can read them during centers time (read the room). They also have the songs in their poetry binders. But if you don't do either of those, the calendar binder sounds like a good place to put them!

9. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I did a calendar folder (based on Jessica Meacham's site) last year... I got frustrated because it ended up being a mess of kids and papers on the floor in front of the calendar wall. I'm thinking that we'll do calendar together and then they'll be responsible for updating their folder during learning centers, shortly after that... is that too far removed? (I just realized I'm slightly hijacking this thread but I'm still on topic! :) )

p.s. My binder was just the calendar, and weather graph for Kinder. I think I'll add an element where they need to write the entire date (ex. Today is Monday, July 7, 2008)

10. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I want to do a calendar folder, but am changing districts this year, so I'm going to hold off another year. What I may do is set up a calendar folder as a math center. I do Math Their Way (although this year I will do it better than last year, I hope) and think that this can fit in well. Some kids are just way more interested in calendar than others. This way, those who enjoy it can extend their learning and those who don't will only have to participate whole class during the formal calendar time.

What do you think?

11. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I don't think that's too far removed. As long as you're hitting learning centers pretty much right after you finish calendar time. Especially with Kinder. I think I might try something like this with my first graders. Working on it whole group then having them update their folders during IWT. Thanks for the idea!!!

12. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I don't know about everyone else, but I certainly appreciate your experience/feedback regarding this! :) This is starting to sound like more work on me versus the kids learning! As far as my classroom goes, my morning is pretty full....would be pretty hard to squeeze in another responsibility on the kids. Thanks, teachfrog! :)

13. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I think this would work. I agree that some kids just enjoy calendar more then others. Those who don't enjoy it often only put minimal effort into it, so this should help. Plus, as long as they are participating in the whole class experience they are getting the vital information.

14. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 14, 2009

I would like to do a modified version of the calendar folder for my kindergardeners this year. Any suggestions?

I really like the ideas that she has and would like to incorporate at least some of them.