Calendar Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by diggerdeb, Jul 28, 2007.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I have been teaching Pre-K for many years. My students will all be four by Dec.1. (so some will still be three in Sept.)

Sometimes I get bored with "calendar time" Sometimes I feel like I am wasting their time. I know there must to 101 things to make calender time educational and fun but right now all I can think of is boring stuff.

How do YOu use your calender?

I count days, sing days of the week song, talk about the month, or season. We do patterns. Anything else?

3. LittleDuckie

LittleDuckie Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I just got the cutest puppet/book. His name is "Monday the Bullfrog" and the book talks about what Monday wants to eat each day of the week. Very cute! I have 3s and they love him!

4. preskoolteacher

preskoolteacher Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

i have 3 yr olds also, and they always do some kinds of exercising everyday say it is the 15 of july, then they will do 15 jumping jacks, or clap 15 times f some type of ovemnt, it keeps thier attention way longer than anythng i have come to yet

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 29, 2007

I use a weekly calendar, not a monthly one. We talk about the day of the week and what is on the schedule for the day. If it is Friday, we discuss the children's plans for the weekend. If it's Monday we discuss what they did on the weekend. We also look at the weather and look at the weather pattern for the week.

6. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

In the past I have had 4 and 5 y/os. This year I have a mixture of 3-5 y/os. Mostly 4 and 5 though. Here is what I do for calendar:

Sing the good morning song
    Read the morning message
    Helper counts how many days are on the calendar
    We sing the weather song
    They put the today, yesterday and tomorrow clothes on the bears
    We sing today, yesterday, and tomorrow song
    Sing days of the week song
    Complete the pattern
    Count how many days of school we have had
    Attendance/Lunch count

Liz

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

What's the yesterday, today, tomorrow song?

8. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I have 4s and 5s. We usually do the regular calendar routine: days of the week song, morning message, count how many days we have been in school, etc...

One thing I usually incorporate and my students love it is...I allow them to take charge of this activity. The like being "the teacher." We have a calendar helper that completes the activity. By December they can pretty much do the entire thing without any adult assistance. I love this, becaue it allows me to take care of the many morning issues and my assistant can monitor the children.

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

Special~We practice today is .... yesterday was... and tomorrow will be... with bears. They wear different clothing that has the day of the week written on it. The students place them in the correct spot. Then we sing the song:

Today is Monday, Today is Monday
    The month of July, the month of July
    The number is 30, the number is 30
    2007, 2007

After typing out the song, I guess it really isn't a today, yesterday, and tomorrow song. :) Being out of the loop of teaching everyday, it was even hard trying to remember this song. I better get back to practicing my songs....

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

okey dokey!! Thanks! :)