Calendar Activities

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, Jul 19, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

The other calendar post got me thinking. Is there anything cool you all do when teaching your calendar? I do not have Everyday Math with the calendar or anything I HAVE to do.

So far we do

-go through each day
    -tens/ones
    -money with the date
    -weather

3. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

You could talk about what day it is, what is the day before that day, the day after that day, how many days til Saturday, how many days you been in school, etc!

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

We got rid of Every Day Counts calendar program and they told us to keep it to no more than 5 mins. I think those task cards from the other thread will be great!

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 20, 2010

Yes those task cards are great!!!!

6. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jul 20, 2010

We count how many days until Zero the Hero arrives. I use this time to have my students practice counting on and I have them get in front of their peers and model this. I found this to be a good review for addition and help ease the tension of speaking in front of their classmates.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

I'm sad... we were told Zero the Hero is over their heads (place value in general). We used to have an elaborate hundreds day and Zero the Hero came by and visited each room....
    Those were the days....

8. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Several days a week we'll do a song during calendar. Scholastic has a great big book that comes with a cd. It's got a song for each month and other topics like morning, afternoon, time, holidays and the kids love it! I'll hear them singing the songs to themselves sometimes! I especially love the Time song, since it's a big help when learning about the big/little hands.

9. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

WHAT?! :eek: That is sad :(

I have simplified Zero the Hero and incorporated it in my K class! THEY LOVE IT!!!!!

10. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 8, 2010

Which thread are you referring to? I am very intrigued.

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2010

We have Everyday Counts calendar math, but the only part I really use is the calendar itself, because we do everything else on the smartboard!

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone know of any good youtube videos or websites with more calendar ideas?
    I know I could be doing a lot more with my calendar.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 24, 2010

Also does anyone do calendar activities with their students while not at the calendar? For example do you give a blank calendar and have them fill it in etc...

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 24, 2010

I do mine on the smartboard. I have approximately 30 slides that I can choose from each day. We do the calendar, yesterday was..., our dice roll to add, the 100 chart, our pledge, our weather graph, and our tempature each day. The rest we mix --- money (counting pennies and nickles this week), counting by 2, 5, and 10, patterning, sorting, sight words, clothing chart, etc. The kids love it and they do most of it.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 24, 2010

Just for fun, I highlighted the state objectives my calendar covers. It covered a good half of the math and at least ten of the language arts.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2010

Do you guys do calendar everyday?

18. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 24, 2010

I do calendar every day. I feel its really important.

BTW...I do not have a smartboard.

19. MsHumphrey

MsHumphrey New Member

Sep 29, 2010

During Calendar Time, we do some of the following...we don't do everything everyday, but we do everything at some point during the week:

-Days of the week...point to them on the calendar, discuss what day comes before/after, etc. We sing the days of the week song (to the tune of the Adams Family).

-Months of the Year...we sing a song and talk about what month we are in.

-Seasons--this includes what season we are currently in and we talk about the weather for the day. At my school, we don't do any math in the morning--it is literacy time--so calendar comes towards the end of the day, after recess. We talk about what the weather was like...hot, cold, cool, sunny, cloudy, rainy, etc.

100th day of school--we keep a count of how many days we have been in school. We discuss numbers in general during this time.

Tally Marks (today is September 29th, who can draw 29 tally marks?), money (who can tell/show how they can make 29 cents with money?), addition (today is the 29th, we have 1 more day in the month. What number would the last day be?)

While we are at the carpet, I also introduce the lesson and do the "whole group" portion of the lesson with the kids sitting around me at the rug.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2010

I like that you go right into the whole group lesson after calendar right there at the rug. I always have them go back to their seats, but maybe I will try that. :)