Calculus Intro

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by atomic, Jun 10, 2011.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 10, 2011

I'm just finishing my first semester of teaching Calculus and didn't get nearly as far as the other teacher.

I think he ran his Calculus at the same pace as AP. I figured if it was supposed to cover everything that AP covered, then it would be the AP class.

I need to get a better idea of what an "Intro" Calculus class should cover. These students are either Juniors taking AP next year or Seniors going off to college Calculus.

Only one of mine signed up for the CAP program to take my class for college credit.

What topics should i cover?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

Doesn't the class have a syllabus?

Hang on a second, if I can find it I'll PM you our Intro to Calc syllabus.

Oops, sorry, I don't have a copy of it. I think the last time I taugt it (1999-2000) we started at limits and ended at Integration by Parts.

4. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 10, 2011

One would think so...

The Curriculum is just the AP curriculum...

The course description say..."this is not intended to be a college level calculus class." Plus, the topics listed in the description are really Algebra 2 and Pre-calc topics...conic sections? rational function graphing?

The local college accepted this and certified the course for college credit. Makes you wonder...

Everything I find online is geared to calc AP. I can't even find a good text to use for the course. Everything is written at such a high level.

The underlying issue is our state has changed the HS math requirement to 4 math classes and this will put more and more unprepared and unmotivated students into the Calc course. It will become more watered down than it already is.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

OK, if they're getting college credit for it, it's a different matter. In that case, you DO have a syllabus and you are expected to cover it. In my mind, it surpasses the AP, since it's not some all-purpose exam, but the requirements of a very particular college.

If the kids are getting college credit, they should drop the bit about not being a college level Calc class. Either it is or it isn't.

6. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 10, 2011

I just found this...

Intro to Calc Link

I actually just ended today with the stuff on page 12 and 13.

Makes me feel better. I just wish they would rename the course INTRO to CALCULUS. That will never happen, but it would be nice.

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jun 10, 2011

I got to integration by parts this year, too.

8. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jun 11, 2011

That is probably not a bad thing. A lot of the students that I get in my college calculus class have taken calculus in HS, but they really don't know how to do anything (besides taking simple derivatives) because their HS teacher tried to cover too much material and didn't cover anything with any real rigor.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2011

That's a huge problem in high school math courses as well.

I can't tell you how many of our frosh "know algebra" yet don't know their times tables and have no real number sense. Ask them to factor a trinomial with a leading coefficient other than one, and they have no idea.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2011

That's a huge problem in high school math courses as well.

I can't tell you how many of our frosh "know algebra" yet don't know their times tables and have no real number sense. Ask them to factor a trinomial with a leading coefficient other than one, and they have no idea. Or they can spell "SOHCAHTOA" and think they "know trig."

11. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 11, 2011

Dealing with complex fractions held up half of the class for a week when we started integration.

We've tried to increase the number of students taking calculus. But instead of getting more students interested into the enjoyment of Mathematics and Algebra, we've lowered the bar on grades. I can't give a grade less than a 50% and final exams only count 5% of the total semester grade.

I've got Calc students that have never touched a graphing Calculator and not because they are so skilled at math that they don't need one.

One was so confused how I knew the difference between the graphs of a parabola and a cubic.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2011

And ouch again!