Cake Decorating

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by emmakate218, Jan 4, 2009.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

Hi y'all! I've always wanted to get into cake decorating and I've finally decided to do so. Tomorrow is my first night for Wilton Course 1 and I'm super excited. :woot: I love cooking and baking so anything to do with the both, I get giddy!

Has anybody else has taken the Wilton courses? Does anybody decorate cakes as a little business along side their teaching career?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2009

I took a wilton candy making course and it was ok. But then I think candy making is pretty no brainer so there wasn't too much in the course I didn't already know, but I got some good ideas.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

Sounds like great fun!

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

I worked at a Michael's years ago so I always had opportunities to watch the Wilton classes in action. The candy making course was definitely one I was not wanting to take. :lol:

6. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jan 4, 2009

I took all of the Wilton classes and now am an instructor myself. I love it! Enjoy your classes!

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jan 4, 2009

I took cake decorating for 10 years in 4-H. I went to state twice and won the highest award both times. I've done a cake topper for a wedding once and a 50th anniversary cake. I took classes from a woman that owned a cake decorating and candy making supply store. I'm sure the Wilton classes will be very informative. I thought about teaching them on the side.

If this turns into a side business down the road for you I would suggest researching and trying recipes for the actual cakes. I never learned how to make a real cake because I mostly used styrofoam dummies.

It would be nice to turn my skills into a small business during the summer but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my cakes. My 3-4 tiered wedding cakes would take me 20-30 hours. Granted I was making them to be judged...

Good luck! :)

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

Wilton's classes are pretty good. I've never taken them myself, but I've seen bits and peices of them. I pretty much taught myself with books, and I could probably learn a lot if I took a formal class, since I'm sure a lot of what I do could be done in an easier way, and other stuff could be refined. I do okay though. I got a ton of compliments on my sister's wedding cake (fed 300), and various birthday cakes I've done.

Who's the poster that makes all those wonderful cakes. She posted a few of them a while back. I'd LOVE to get that good.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2009

What were the cakes of?

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

There was a wedding cake and one that had a monkey hanging off of it and one that was a purse...they were incredible.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

mm-I think it was Green Eyed Gal or Go4th??

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2009

Hubby got me some cake decorating stuff for Xmas. I didn't take any classes, but my mom's done different character cakes & stuff for tons of people, so I guess it's in the blood. Not fantastic, but I have fun.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 4, 2009

Yrs ago, my dad took a cake decorating course from a community center, I think. He never did anything w/ it though.

Good luck to you & have fun w/ it! :)

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

stg...yeah, maybe it was green eyed gal. That sounds right.

Dizene, that's how I started. My cakes aren't anywhere near the other poster's cakes, but they're pretty good. You can learn a lot from books, the internet and just plain experimenting. You can also do a whole lot with just some basic knowledge and a truck load of creativity.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

mm-I found the old post and it was Green Eyed Gal.

16. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

I think I could more than likely teach myself through the internet, but I feel like I need to see others learning as well for it to feel "real" to me. That sounds so silly. I think I need the class format for the beginning techniques.

I'm excited about taking the courses. I've been wanting to take the classes for so long now. My resolution for 2009 is to do more for me, which in turn, will do more for others. This is one of the things I'm doing for myself.

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2009

A friend of mine actually took back-to-back courses of Wilton; then in turn taught cake decorating to a homemaking (?) class; and eventually began selling cakes.

Her cakes were beautiful!

18. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

i have always wanted to do this ! Good Luck and have fun!

19. Apple125

Apple125 Rookie

Jan 4, 2009

I rarely post, but I was just thinking along the lines of your thread. When I was in college, I worked as a cake decorator at a grocery store. I made about 20 cakes on a weeknight, and between 30-50 on the weekends for the weekend orders (birthday cakes, weddings, anniversaries, etc.). I never took a Wilton course, but all of our supplies were Wilton, and I think my supervisor was Wilton trained. I have made a few cakes for friends and relatives, and I made my wedding cake and groom's cake (they were beautiful, if I do say so myself!). I think I would like to do this at home as a side job, but the mess of the frosting is what scares me off. You have to have a LOT of frosting to make an average cake. But the cost of your supplies is really a one-time expense, and the cost of the ingredients is pretty cheap, so you can make good money. Let us know how your classes go!

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 5, 2009

I took a cake decorating class so that I could make my own wedding cake. What a fool. A bride is too busy to worry about a cake on her wedding day. I am glad I did it, the cake was great.

There is so much more than learning about the decorations. My most difficult thing was making the icing just right.

Have fun.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 5, 2009

A good friend of mine did this...only HE was the groom. You should see pictures of the cake. It's amazing. Actually, it's hysterical, because my friend is a bald, overweight, completely tatooed (arms, full back, chest and legs), Harley riding scientist (which in and of itself is a contradiction). He's the last person on the planet you'd think made and decorated his own wedding cake.