CAD in High School

Discussion in 'High School' started by thegirlinaz, Mar 3, 2009.

1. thegirlinaz

thegirlinaz Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

I have my associates degree in Computer Aided Design and Drafting Technology and a bachelors degree in Technical Graphics. Also, I have a few years of employment working at a civil engineering firm (as a civil drafter) where I use Civil 3D (CAD) every day.

My questions are:
    1. If I wanted to teach autoCAD in high school I am qualified, correct?
    2. Is CAD taught at your high school where you work? (It wasn't taught at my high school, but I hear it is pretty common)
    3. Does the CAD teacher at your school teach only CAD classes, or other subjects also?
    4. What CAD programs do they use?
    5. Do they teach just the basics of how to use the program, or go in depth with different subjects like architecture, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, etc?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to know some of the specifics :p

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 3, 2009

You would need to be certified, but some vocational teaching programs allow you to certify while you teach. Check into vocational certifications or career teacher certifications in your state.

CAD is taught in my HS. The teacher also has video productions classes and he is also responsible for the yearbook (strange, I know).

As for programs, I don't know. I think I've heard my students talk about Rhino and AutoCad ... or did I just make those up?

And, I don't know how far they go into the information ... I think they study home design ... I don't hear my students talking about engineering (though they have an interest in it for college).

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2009

You would have to get certified. What you need to do in order to get certified varies by state.

I know my high school had CAD because my sister took it, but I don't know much else about it.

5. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

The CAD teachers at my highschool (the one i went to ) taught more than CAD, some did basic computers and some did other vocational classes.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

In this economy, I would consider a dual certification... when the cuts come for the fall, they're going to cut anything that's not on a state exam or the SATs.

7. Bikrchik42

Bikrchik42 New Member

Mar 10, 2009

CAD questions

1. You should check with your state to see what you need to do to be certified. You may have enough course work for the CAD portion, but you will most likely still need to take the education classes necessary for certification.

2. We have Intro to CAD, Drafting Tech, Architecture and Engineering Tech, and a senior design course. And next year, we are adding Robotics.

3. The lead CAD teacher teaches all of the courses mentioned above. I teach the intro to drafting class and physics.

4. We have AutoCAD 2009 for the Intro class. The other classes rely heavily on Inventor, and also AutoCAD Architecture.

5. The intro class is mainly just to learn the AutoCAD program. We use mechanical and civil projects, but that's because the lead CAD teacher has a background in mechanical, and mine is in civil. We try to expose them to as many different applications as we can, though, so that they get an idea of the career options. We have a whole architectural unit, for instance. It's really up to the teacher to decide what types of projects to use, as long as the basic objectives are met. For the intro class, this means a working knowledge of AutoCAD, orthographic projection, and what goes into floor plans and elevations.

Hope this helps :)