CA TFE English

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by hse6m, May 28, 2009.

1. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

May 28, 2009

Anyone have any input, outlines, resources, advice for someone cramming for the Teaching Foundations Exam for English?

I have never taught in a public school classroom- only taught adults and tutored and mentored adolescents- but would love to pass this to get through the credential/ MA program ASAP.

thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2009

You probably know more than you think you know, then. Have you looked at the free information (a.k.a. "Tests at a Glance") on the Praxis Web site? Make a point of looking up any term there that you don't already know cold, and if you're teaching right now, take a couple seconds here and there to label what you're doing with the teacherly technical term for it.

There might also be useful information for you on the Web site of the California Association of Teachers of English, http://www.cateweb.org/, which you'll want to know about anyway if you don't already; you could also Google for "lesson plans English California" and see if that doesn't land you some useful stuff.

If you've got further questions, don't hesitate to ask: someone's likely to come along with a good answer.

4. engineerteacher

engineerteacher Rookie

May 28, 2009

I took the TFE: Math in March, and I suspect the tests are similar. The Constructed Response sections will have different scenarios (English class situations in your case), but my guess is that the multiple choice questions overlap a lot between the two. I purchased a couple of old edition Education texts on Amazon.com to study from: Educational Psychology by Woolfolk and Comprehensive Multicultural Education by Bennett. These are the ones used in the prerequisite courses in the teacher credential program by my local CSU. The Educational Psychology book has a section on Multicultural Education, so if you're pressed for time, you can probably pass the test just by studying from that one. Reading these texts and working through the practice problems given on the ETS site were all of the preparation I did, and I did fine on the exam.

Best of luck!

5. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

May 28, 2009

omigosh THANK YOU! I'll see how fast I can get my hands on those books!

6. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

May 28, 2009

you are amazing! you post so much helpful info!

7. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

May 28, 2009

I don't suppose you are in the greater Bay Area and willing to sell/lease/lend me those books?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2009

Chances are good they're in a library or accessible by Inter-Library Loan.

9. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

May 28, 2009

Another great idea. I am off to the CSU library in rush hour traffic. They'll take my public library card which seems fair considering the astronomical library specific taxes I pay in my property taxes!!!

10. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

May 28, 2009

Y'all rock! Thank you SO much! Keep the advice coming!

11. engineerteacher

engineerteacher Rookie

May 28, 2009

Sorry, I'm in Southern California ... hope your library visit was fruitful!

12. hse6m

hse6m Rookie

Jun 6, 2009

Well, the latest edition they have is from 1990. And it was one of the newer books on their shelves. Not exactly impressed by CSUEB. Everyone was nice though. But the books were, as a general matter, published when I was in elementary school.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2009

Ah. It could be that the more current texts in that subject are either checked out or in the reserve section.