CA teachers, question about clearing your credential (BTSA)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Jul 30, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 30, 2013

What do you do in that program exactly? I know the district assigns you a BTSA coach right? So is that coach sort of like a university supervisor like during your student teaching where you periodically meet? Is there a workload involved like homework? And more importantly, what if I switch district after the first year considering the BTSA is a 2 year program? Can I continue the program with another district?

3. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 30, 2013

Umm well.. we do a LOT of paperwork. Lesson planning, evaluating our teaching, documenting everything, and much more. It's a lot like the credential program and student teaching but more intense. The workload took me a good 2-5 hours some weeks and more than 5 hours others.
    IF YOU switch districts halfway through (like me) you just complete your second year at your new district but you need to make sure you save your documentation!!!

4. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 30, 2013

I was dreading the paperwork part because I hated that part the most in student teaching. But I'm glad I can continue the program if I switch districts. Are there meetings and trainings? Or are they all 1-on-1 with the BTSA coach?

5. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

Yes, there are weekly and monthly meetings that you may be required to attend. It really depends on your district though. I wasn't required to attend my county's meetings because my district didn't mandate them. So I only went to a few.

Meetings with your SP are mandatory and you may be meeting weekly or biweekly depending on scheduling.

Have you written an TPA's? If so, BTSA is like writing a 60 page TPA. :/

6. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 31, 2013

TPA's were the bane of my student teaching experience. The worst part is them making me pay for someone to score it. CA credentialing is such a sham. They make you pay fees up the yin yang.

7. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

I know. The good part of BTSA is that you do not have to pay for it... but you MAY pay for it if you want the 6 units. I did! I figure I might as well buy the units if I did all the work to earn them.

8. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 31, 2013

How much did you pay?

9. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I am also concerned about being overwhelmed my first year having to juggle a new environment, new curriculum, and BTSA. I was most worried about transferring district next summer. There's a likely chance I won't be returning to the district after my first year so I was worried I'd have to start over.

Oh, I also forgot to ask. Is BTSA something that you are automatically enrolled in as a new teacher? It was mentioned to me by HR but she didn't say anything about enrollment.

10. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 31, 2013

Haven't been through it, but I have heard from pretty much everyone that how BTSA goes depends on your district and mentor. Some help you through the process in a way that makes it manageable and helpful, and others leave you to deal with paperwork hell. I think the comparison to the credential program also depends, because I've heard grads from my specific elementary ed program say it's not as bad.

11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2013

BTSA did me absolutely zero good. In fact, it was a negative given how much time it took away from doing what I actually should have been doing. My mentor, thankfully, made it as easy as possible so I was rarely out of the classroom but redoing everything I had literally done 6 months ago in teacher ed was a complete joke.

I agree with the get it done ASAP sentiment. I would simply add don't stress over it. I've never heard of anyone not "passing" it.

12. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

$350

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2013

My district has its own program, and I actually got a lot out of it. My support providers were extremely helpful. It really does depend on where you're doing it.

14. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 31, 2013

I didn't pass it - they made me re-do my binder because I included too many artifacts. So, they actually made me TAKE OUT the extra work I had done and resubmit the binder. A friend of mine's support provider was released from the district so they "lost" her binder and now she has to re-do it. Of course, there were a myriad of other things wrong with that district so I doubt these experiences are common.

Some districts will automatically enroll you. Others don't have a program at all and you have to pay to take it from a private college who does. Other districts have programs but you have to pay for them. Most offer college credit (for money of course) at the end of each year.

It's a pain, it's time consuming, but it's not hard. Just more hoops to jump through.

15. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

I can't wait to be done with it! I am a Y2 teacher.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2013

I did one yr of BTSA several yrs ago. It was (a lot of people say unnecessary & uneffective) homework assignments, paperwork, etc. I don't know how well it really teaches a new teacher. I guess it helps. My BTSA lady at my school at the time was kind of a ditzo.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2013

Okay well I'm here to come in with an opposite experience than many of the people here in the thread. The amount of take home work each week for my BTSA program was about 10 minutes a week if that. My coach did most of the work and we wrote it almost entirely during our weekly meetings which took up only one prep a week.

The main objective of the program is to pair you with someone that you can talk to weekly about your classroom concerns and issues and to get you to pick a teaching strategy, try it out and determine whether or not it actually helped. I just finished my first year of BTSA and it was below consideration of everything else that year. I barely remember doing it, it took up that little of my time.

Again, it depends on your coach and district.