CA teachers I need help with interpretation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Jul 27, 2009.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

A group of teachers at my school want to change from self contained 6th - 8th grade classrooms to team teaching. our credentials state:
    " In addition, this credential authorizes the holder to teach core classes consisting of two or more subjects to the same group of students in grades five through eight, and to teach any core subjects he or she is teaching to a single group of students in the same grade level as the core for less than 50% of his or her workday."

how is workday defined at your school
    a) the time you are required to be there
    b) student hours minus recess and lunch

Thanks for your input

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I teach core classes at my school - from what I can understand (when my principal very quickly explained) is that you can teach 2 or more subjects to a group of students as long as you have those students for less than 50% of your day.

This year I will be teaching LA and another class (not sure what yet) to the 6th graders. Which means I'll have 2 preps and teach 3 groups of students for a total of 6 classes. So I will have each group for a third of my day (which is less than 50% of my day).

Our school schedule is 7:45 am - 2:40 pm = almost 7 hours. Students have a 13 minute nutrition break and a 30 minute lunch. Teachers are contracted to work 7 1/2 hours per day.

4. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Jul 28, 2009

Unless you're catching heat from someone, I wouldn't worry about the exact times. You're able to team teach with a multiple subject credential in CA.

Hope that helps,
    DB

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 28, 2009

The way I interpret it is if you want to be totally departmentalized (ie, you teach only math to all of the students), you will need to get additional authorizations on your credential. Also, if you only teach math for more than 50% of your classes, you need the extra authorization. If you have one group of students all morning (teaching them English and science, etc.) and then you teach math to two other classes in the afternoon, you're fine.

6. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Unfortunately we are catching heat from one of the admins.:(

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

Thanks everyone you helped a lot.